Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for the Draft Heads

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: A question for the Draft Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Just so we argue apples for apples- Urbik was the 15th pick of the 3rd round last year, 17 picks ahead of Keenan Lewis.

To put how 'high' Urbik was drafted into perspective, and how much we can 'expect' Urbik to contribute- the 15th pick of the 3rd round is..10 picks higher than 3rd round bust Bruce Davis from 2008, 2 picks lower than Matt Speath in 2007, 4 picks higher than Anthony Smith in 2006 & 14 picks higher than Trai Essex in 2005. So, as you can see, the track record of success of the picks from the Steelers around Urbik's selection do not give much confidence to a sparkling career.
    Yes, very bad track record. That doesn't automatically make Urbik a worthless pick, obviously, but I'd like to see him be given a chance to earn his roster spot. If he doesn't then we need to have him go the way of Davis and Smith. The Steelers thought highly enough of Urbik to make him our 2nd pick, so my expectations are much higher for him than they are for Lewis, our 4th pick, but I still would like to see Lewis be a significant contributor at CB or FS. I think we all want that, of course.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    The Wallace pick was the result of the 2nd round trade down, right?
    We traded the last pick in the 2nd round and the last pick in the 4th round to Denver for the Broncos' two picks in the 3rd round (used to take Kraig Urbik at #79 and Mike Wallace at #84). For what it's worth, Denver took TE Richard Quinn and OG Seth Olsen with the picks that were originally ours.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Iupati is a great athlete for a guard and may even be able to play RT. He is very strong and tough and runs well with good balance. He needs to refine his technique and I think he'll end up an all-pro LG or a decent RG or RT. I would not be upset if we drafted him at #18, but he is not my first choice. He is still learning English and had a poor Wonderlic score. This means that it may take him time to refine his technique and to digest an NFL playbook. He would likely be a penalty/mistake machine if asked to start immediately.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, very bad track record. That doesn't automatically make Urbik a worthless pick, obviously, but I'd like to see him be given a chance to earn his roster spot. If he doesn't then we need to have him go the way of Davis and Smith. The Steelers thought highly enough of Urbik to make him our 2nd pick, so my expectations are much higher for him than they are for Lewis, our 4th pick, but I still would like to see Lewis be a significant contributor at CB or FS. I think we all want that, of course.
    Agreed, but as pointed out earlier, Urbik was overtaken on the depth chart by first Trai Essex to replace Stapleton after Stapleton went down, then both undrafted Doug Legursky & undrafted Ramon Foster surplanted Urbik on the depth chart when Kemo went down.

Here's something to think about- seeing as how the Steelers let Stapleton go are they:
    a. Satisfied with Trai Essex's play at RG? (please no..)
    b. Going to give Foster the RG job? (Risky..)
    c. Doug Legursky? (no evidence that he can hold the position)
    d. Unleash the untested Urbik over all three above options?

Remember- the Steelers have given over 80 sacks in two seasons, and now Coach Tomlin has publicly lamented being unable to run consistantly (hence the now famous 3rd & short sack from last season) as well as Mr Rooney publicly stating a desire to improve the running game.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So, let me get this straight- some of you think that Iupati- a rookie is better than Essex a veteran- at RG?

Essex has found his niche at RG. young and on the move. Kemo is a beast at LG ans has become very good at pulling to the right. It's one of thier favorite running plays to the right.

Let's focus on some real need- the secondary in round 1.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    So, let me get this straight- some of you think that Iupati- a rookie is better than Essex a veteran- at RG?

Essex has found his niche at RG. young and on the move. Kemo is a beast at LG ans has become very good at pulling to the right. It's one of thier favorite running plays to the right.

Don't you know yet that all these college kids are better than most of the playerds we have and the "experts" have already determined that coming in out of college they are better Pros than the Pros. That is however until week #3 of the season where most will be declared busts or reflective of the terrible talent assessment abilities of the coaching staff and front office because they don't have an early invite to the Pro Bowl.

The reality is very few to no rookies will be able to come in and challenge any of our starters. That includes anyone we draft for the secondary. We are not the Detroit Lions or the Cleveland Browns.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

To answer your first question- yes, Chadman does believe Iupati is better than Trai Essex. Right now. That's not saying Iupati is perfect, but Essex hardly found the 'niche' you refer to- after all, the Steelers couldn't find it in their hearts to trust the OL to come up with enough push on 3rd & short to allow Mendenhall an attempt to convert- that's how much they thought of the OL blocking last season. To simply say that rookie's won't start is naive- just an example of OL rookies- Kendall Simmmons, Alan Faneca, Willie Colon, Trai Essex, Max Starks, Darnell Stapleton, Ramon Foster- all these guys contributed, or started, in their rookie seasons.

And now we have Coach Kugler- who started not one, but 2 rookie OG's at Buffalo last year.

So yeah, here's betting Iupati is rated higher than Essex.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To answer your first question- yes, Chadman does believe Iupati is better than Trai Essex. Right now. That's not saying Iupati is perfect, but Essex hardly found the 'niche' you refer to- after all, the Steelers couldn't find it in their hearts to trust the OL to come up with enough push on 3rd & short to allow Mendenhall an attempt to convert- that's how much they thought of the OL blocking last season. To simply say that rookie's won't start is naive- just an example of OL rookies- Kendall Simmmons, Alan Faneca, Willie Colon, Trai Essex, Max Starks, Darnell Stapleton, Ramon Foster- all these guys contributed, or started, in their rookie seasons.

And now we have Coach Kugler- who started not one, but 2 rookie OG's at Buffalo last year.

Chadman, I disagree with you on the Rd. 1 pick, but I just noticed we agree on Round 2 and 3! What do you see in Sean Lee that makes you think he will be a good Steeler ILB? I know what I see, but I haven't heard too many others picking Lee, so I'm just curious on your thoughts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

Chadman, I disagree with you on the Rd. 1 pick, but I just noticed we agree on Round 2 and 3! What do you see in Sean Lee that makes you think he will be a good Steeler ILB? I know what I see, but I haven't heard too many others picking Lee, so I'm just curious on your thoughts.
    Chadman had Sean Lee as the replacement for Farrior- a smart, on field leader type. But with Foote being re-signed, this is going to change. Highly doubt we see 5 ILB's on the playing roster- Steelers might add OLB there instead...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman, I disagree with you on the Rd. 1 pick
    Don't worry Leb, you can't be right every time...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE