Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers waiting for Leftwich to be released

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers waiting for Leftwich to be released

NFL: Batch in waiting mode as Steelers monitoring Leftwich
    Monday, March 15th, 2010 by DePaoli

Veteran quarterback Charlie Batch is eyeing a return to Pittsburgh and the Steelers would like him back but for now Batch is in a waiting period, according to a source close to Batch.

The Steelers are eyeing Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Byron Leftwich to provide depth at the quarterback position.

However, the Steelers have little interest in trading for Leftwich at this moment who is due a salary of $2 million in 2010.

Leftwich remains on the Buccaneers roster for now as the Bucs did not have to pay a $3.5 million roster bonus before free agency since Leftwich didn't play enough games to trigger the roster bonus.

Leftiwch is currently the No. 3 quarterback behind Josh Freeman and Josh Johnson and is available for a late round pick. He is expected to be released in the near future if the Buccaneers are unable to find a trade suitor, whch is highly unlikely.

For now there is no urgency from the Steelers to trade a late round pick and pick up Leftwichs' salary, despite the allegations on Ben Roethlisberger. However, It does put Charlie Batch in a holding pattern who wants to return.

Last season the Steelers tried to retain Leftwich as their primary backup but Leftwich chose to sign with the Buccaneers due to an opportunity to be a starter.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers waiting for Leftwich to be released

I like Leftwich but what is with the Steelers continued fascination with Batch?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I like Leftwich but what is with the Steelers continued fascination with Batch?
    I guess they feel there is not a better option out there. I think Batch will be gone if they are able to resign Leftwich, Ben is able to play this season, and they don't sustain in injuries at the QB position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Batch knows the system. That's it. If Ben is suspended and Batch sees the field, he'll be injured immediately. Dude is a china doll. He's been injured more than Ben and played in 1/10 of the games. If we go into the season knowing Ben will be suspended with Batch and the small framed Dixon, we might as well go into the season with 5 QBs because we'll need them all.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The rationale in this article is really weak.

1. We need some vet insurance at this point (given Ben's situation).
    2. We have plenty of draft picks given our recent depth signings
    3. We've spent plenty of money so far on some average talent, 2 million for Leftwich seems about right. How much cheaper are we going to get him?

At least, dangle our seventh round pick out there.

If someone else signs him, we'll be left with the china doll, Batch. He won't last if he has to play.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Leftwich would be a great option to bring back. He was a solid citizen when he was here and can get the job done for several games if required. He actually gets rid of the ball much quicker than Ben so that is a real positive.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Sigh...as much as I like Batch, if we can sign Leftwich, I'd rather have him.

Let Batch be an assistant coach or something. He's a good guy and I believe
    he bleeds Black and Gold...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers just signed Larry Slow-a-Foote to 3 million $ per to be a backup...and now they're reluctant to fork over 2 million for Leftwich (who would likely be the starter if Big Perv
    is arrested/suspended)?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Steelers just signed Larry Slow-a-Foote to 3 million $ per to be a backup...and now they're reluctant to fork over 2 million for Leftwich (who would likely be the starter if Big Perv
    is arrested/suspended)?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
    Hey! Get your nicknames straight. Former o-line coach Larry Zeirlein was Coach Perv. Since Ben is not related to Zeirlein, he can't be Big Perv. It's Pig Ben, not Big Perv.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Leftwich would be a great option to bring back. He was a solid citizen when he was here and can get the job done for several games if required. He actually gets rid of the ball much quicker than Ben so that is a real positive.
    And, IF we protect him reasonably well, he can actually hit Mike Wallace in stride!