Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the year we finally draft our future Center?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is this the year we finally draft our future Center?

last year the Steelers were interested in drafting centers Alex Mack and Eric Wood in the first round, and then tried unsuccessfully to trade up and draft Max Unger in the second round.

so a year has gone by and what has changed? have Hartwig and/or Legursky convinced the coaching staff that they have improved enough to where we don't need to draft a center like we tried so hard to do last year?

this is not a deep year at the C position, there are only five that i would be interested in drafting:

Maurkice Pouncey, Matt Tennant, J.D Walton, Ted Larsen or Eric Olsen.

we need to infuse some talent and add some competition here badly in order to protect our franchise QB and get the running game going.

Albert Einstein's definition of Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Is this the year we finally draft our future Center?

Like Tennant- not wrapped on the others.

Legursky looks as good a prospect as the guys you list after Tennant, and Pouncey, for all the hoopla surrounding him, hasn't blocked in a 'traditional' offence, which concerns Chadman.

Is there any truth to the rumour of Urbik being tried at Center?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is plenty of competition at Center with Hartwig and Legursky- I like Legursky as our future Center. You can throw Urbik into the mix as well or maybe a rook later in the draft. We have enough linemen for competition. As far as OT goes, this is a make or break year for Hills.

We need to address the secondary- CB. With that 18th pick. IMO.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Legursky looks as good a prospect as the guys you list after Tennant, and Pouncey, for all the hoopla surrounding him, hasn't blocked in a 'traditional' offence, which concerns Chadman.

it will be interesting to see if Urbik is tried at C this pre-season or if he concentrates on his natural RG position and sees if he can at least dress on game days.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    There is plenty of competition at Center with Hartwig and Legursky- I like Legursky as our future Center. You can throw Urbik into the mix as well or maybe a rook later in the draft. We have enough linemen for competition. As far as OT goes, this is a make or break year for Hills.

We need to address the secondary- CB. With that 18th pick. IMO.
    Who do you suggest would be a quality CB with the 18th pick? If Haden falls, then he is the guy. But what about if not? Do you think Earl Thomas would be a good enough CB on this level, when most are projecting his best position to be FS? Would you reach for a player like Kyle Wilson at #18 just to fill a need at CB when there may better value elsewhere? There are a dozen or so CB's with day two grades that we could aim for in round 2 or 3 instead...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'll throw a couple of curveballs out there, how about...Mitch Petrus (OG, Arkansas) as a OC prospect? Certainly he has the strength to handle the bull-rush & pulling & trapping is considered one of his better attributes. Another one to watch out for a OC conversion might be Doug Palmer (OG, East Carolina).
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Agreed Tennant would be a terrific value in the 4th or 5th. I do not believe Pouncey is 2-3 rounds better than Tennant.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's about time some of my ECU folk get some love on these boards. We got Ross and Joseph on a few mocks, now Palmer. Cool.

Skip had a good team the past years, if only we had a QB.... oh well.

To answer Ruthless's question, I think if they don't get Haden then the boy from Texas could play CB. He might even be a better CB than Haden. He's supposedly i for a visit. Our secondary is weak and needs upgraded. I'm fine with the OL the way it is. There's plenty of depth again, considering we just signed another OT from Buffalo- Hills could get the boot.

How about:

Haden round 1
    Gerhardt round 2

for starters
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I got your back Felix ...Joseph would be a great pick-up for DL depth & Palmer could be stashed on the PS for development.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    I got your back Felix ...Joseph would be a great pick-up for DL depth & Palmer could be stashed on the PS for development.
    Anyone that weighs 330lbs, has long arms, measures over 6'4" and runs a 40 yard dash in just over 5.00 is going before the 5th round.

If you want Joseph- look AT LEAST 1 Round higher. Because with the amount of 3-4 on the market, you can bet someone else is...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE