Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many Roster Spots Are Available?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: How Many Roster Spots Are Available?

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Why do people always seem to think that Mewelde Moore and Chris Hoke are on some kind of bubble?

There are two players who ALWAYS perform when their number is called...why would you cut a player like that?
    Because their number isn't called that often and that put them at risk if a young stud comes in and lights it up. Hoke is probably safer IMO than Moore because Moore plays one of the easiest positions in the NFL to replace and restock...RB. Plus Mendy has the ability to stay on the field on 3rd down. Something we did not have with Bettis or FWP. Mendy adds a new dimension that could make a "designated" 3rd down back unnecessary.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Why do people always seem to think that Mewelde Moore and Chris Hoke are on some kind of bubble?

There are two players who ALWAYS perform when their number is called...why would you cut a player like that?
    Because their number isn't called that often and that put them at risk if a young stud comes in and lights it up. Hoke is probably safer IMO than Moore because Moore plays one of the easiest positions in the NFL to replace and restock...RB. Plus Mendy has the ability to stay on the field on 3rd down. Something we did not have with Bettis or FWP. Mendy adds a new dimension that could make a "designated" 3rd down back unnecessary.
    We'd be crazy to cut Moore. He's a 3rd down machine. Most important down in football.

It'd be like the Pats cutting Kevin Faulk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, there's always lots of room for improvement, but realistically, I only see 4-5 rooks making the team.

And you figure we'll have some luck with a UDFA or 2.

So we need 2-3 good picks in the draft.

Give some room for error and we can trade half of our picks to move up or amass more picks next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea, not much room there for rookies to make this veteran team. Your about right.. 4-5 maybe....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we have 9 or 10 picks in the draft. So if 4-5 rookies make the team does that mean we will hear about what terrible talent evaluators Tomlin and Colbert are for all of next season because there wasn't room for all the draft picks? Plus, of the 4-5 rookies that do make the team won't 25-50% be labelled as "busts" by the middle of October.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's just the nature of the beast when you are a team like the Steelers and not the Lions or Rams. Not many spots for guys to take and that's a good thing. Thank your lucky stars that you are a Steelers fan!
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    That's just the nature of the beast when you are a team like the Steelers and not the Lions or Rams. Not many spots for guys to take and that's a good thing. Thank your lucky stars that you are a Steelers fan!
    Yet we lost 5 straight and didn't make the playoffs.

I'm still a bit bummed this offseason.