Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

  1. #1

    Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    This just keeps getting worse sounding. Uggh.

    ************************************************** ****************

    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/12/at-s ... utweigh-a/

    A narrow hallway leads to a tiny unisex bathroom that's nothing really more than a utility closet with a sink and toilet.

    The club's bouncers kept people away from the area Thursday night, a week after a 20-year-old college student alleged that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in that room. Instead of a VIP area behind a black curtain where only attractive females were allowed to venture, a $20-per-head rap concert was held in a large rear area of the Capital City Night Club.

    The bass concussed the walls of this more than 100-year-old building, but nothing like the reverberations that have hit this small college town and threaten Roethlisberger's livelihood -- and possibly freedom.

    "His bodyguards were back there guarding the door to the bathroom,'' said Thomas Freeman, a 19-year-old freshman at Georgia College & State University, who was present the night of the alleged incident. "I don't know exactly what was going on."

    Investigators from the Milledgeville Police Department and the Georgia Department of Investigations have attempted to piece that together, interviewing dozens of people who were inside the club at the time of the alleged incident and securing video footage from the club.

    Those who returned to Capital City Thursday night described what kind of exclusive environment the back room became once Roethlisberger walked in with a half-dozen friends -- including two Pennsylvania law enforcement officers who acted as his security -- along with a handful of females, including the accuser.

    Club managers allowed the group to take over the back room and assigned two staffers to control who entered the area, which has its own bar. One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

    "He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."

    Roethlisberger, who was interviewed briefly after the accuser reported the incident in the early morning hours of March 5, has not yet returned for an in-depth talk with police.

    Police also had their own questions to answer on Friday after the Milledgeville Union-Recorder published photos of two uniformed officers posing with Roethlisberger before the alleged incident took place. Milledgeville Police Chief Woodrow W. Blue said the officers won't be disciplined since there was no set policy against posing for photos.

    Blue also said his investigators "are going through the process" in the Roethlisberger case, which is one of an unusually high number of serious crimes -- including a murder -- the Milledgeville Police Department is currently handling.

    "We have not set any kind of timetable," Blue told FanHouse. "It's more important to get to the facts and find out what happened. We are just taking our time and making sure we do a thorough and complete investigation."

    Blue refused to comment on how soon officers may again talk to Roethlisberger, who is reportedly back in Pittsburgh, and if he thought it would take a court order to get a DNA sample from the quarterback.

    "That's part of the investigation," Blue said. "We will not release any facts."

    It's not just the police who are doing the investigating. A private investigator hired by Roethlisberger's attorney, Ed Garland, has bounced around town in his silver Porsche, talking to many of the same people police have interviewed.

    "Rest assured we are looking into everything," private investigator Charles Mittelstadt said outside the police station Friday.

    Messages left for the accuser's attorney, Lee Parks of Atlanta, were not returned.

    Many residents of Milledgeville, a town of about 20,000 located two hours from Atlanta, wish Roethlisberger would have stayed in his mansion on a nearby lake to celebrate his 28th birthday.

    "Roethlisberger doesn't live in Milledgeville," said John Ferguson, an orthodontist and president of the Milledgeville Rotary Club. "He does live about 35 miles away, but we do have a lot of bars in town."

    Ferguson described the biggest problem downtown where Capital City and other businesses are located: parking.

    This is the second time in as many years Milledgeville entered the national lexicon.

    The CBS Evening News reported on the economic pressures the town and surrounding Baldwin County were encountering after Rheem, the heating and cooling company that once employed more than 2,000 people shuttered a factory. What had been one of the nation's largest psychiatric hospitals and a youth detention facility have also closed in recent years.

    Unemployment sits at 11.1 percent, about one percent above the national average.

    But a swath of reporters that crowded Milledgeville earlier this week wasn't the type of economic boost this region was looking for, and a handful of reporters who were in front of Capital City had "Go home!" taunts hurled their direction.

    "I certainly hope that people don't get the wrong image of Milledgeville," Blue said. "It's a lovely, very historic town."


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  2. #2
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    736

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by One club patron
    One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

    "He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."
    This quote is more telling.....

  3. #3

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Yeah I don't really see an issue with it. If he was going in there to have consensual relations...he wouldn't want people walking in. It also doesn't support the notion that Ben broke into the bathroom while she was on the toilet. It looks more and more like she went to the bathroom...with a single toilet under her own free will. If she did...well I'm sorry but screaming assault after makes me chuckle a bit. Come on...you and Ben were not going in there to braid hair.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by One club patron
    One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

    "He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."
    This quote is more telling.....
    Well if he was in the bathroom with a tipsy 20 year old, fooling around, and then she fell and hit her head and he thought nothing of it at all, that is even more telling...

  5. #5
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    736

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by One club patron
    One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

    "He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."
    This quote is more telling.....
    Well if he was in the bathroom with a tipsy 20 year old, fooling around, and then she fell and hit her head and he thought nothing of it at all, that is even more telling...
    depends on what "hit her head" means....if she fell down and cracked her skull then yeah, but it could also mean she slipped and hit her head stood back up and laughed it off. If Ben had no idea why the cops were there it leads me to believe she was okay....

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by One club patron
    One club patron was perched just outside the closed-off area but had a clean view of Roethlisberger, and said other than not letting any males back there, he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary -- until the police arrived around 2:30 am.

    "He was as surprised as anybody," a college student at Georgia College & State University told FanHouse on condition of anonymity, since he was not legally supposed be in the bar after the 2 a.m. last call. "I don't think Ben had any idea what it was all about."
    This quote is more telling.....
    Well if he was in the bathroom with a tipsy 20 year old, fooling around, and then she fell and hit her head and he thought nothing of it at all, that is even more telling...
    depends on what "hit her head" means....if she fell down and cracked her skull then yeah, but it could also mean she slipped and hit her head stood back up and laughed it off. If Ben had no idea why the cops were there it leads me to believe she was okay....
    Here is the thing though, this is going to come down to what a person can testify to in court. You can't testify about another person's state of mind. For instance, you can't say something like "he looked guilty" but you can say "my impression based on his behavior is that he was concerned". On the other hand, one can testify that they saw two men standing outside the bathroom door and that those two men were part of Ben's group that night.

    This is really stacking up badly for Ben. Consider the things that people seem ready to testify to:

    1. He purchased shots for underage women.
    2. He used coarse and derogatory language towards these women
    3. He followed her into a bathroom and had people from his group guard the door
    4. While in the bathroom he committed some sort of sexual assaut
    5. While in the bathroom she suffered a head injury

    Now the meat of the matter is number 4 and possibly number 5 is there is disptue regarding how she was injured. But in a he-said, she-said case I would imagine a lot depends on how much a jury 'likes' or is comfortable with the accused. 1-3 are not going to help.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

  7. #7

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Jom...Did she bleed out? I wouldn't think twice about a tipsy woman who bumped her head...if she wasn't bleeding, didn't pass out and didn't have any vision/motor issues.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Well, this makes it look like whatever went on was consensual. The bodyguards sure didn't throw her into the room with Ben and then block the door so she couldn't get out.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott

    depends on what "hit her head" means....if she fell down and cracked her skull then yeah, but it could also mean she slipped and hit her head stood back up and laughed it off. If Ben had no idea why the cops were there it leads me to believe she was okay....
    Fair enough. It does depend a lot on how serious the injury is. I am assuming a bit here, just because she went to the hospital and got taken care of there before she filed the report.

    So while Ben might not have done anything wrong, if cops were coming to talk to me, I would have "some" idea about what it was about. But I shouldn't assume, if she just laughed it off after it initially occurred, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it either...

  10. #10

    Re: Report: Bodyguards blocked bathroom door

    Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    Well, this makes it look like whatever went on was consensual. The bodyguards sure didn't throw her into the room with Ben and then block the door so she couldn't get out.
    I was thinking that as well. Were the body guards in on it? Did they help him drag her by the hair into the bathroom. Did they hear screams and ignore it? Sounds consensual and it sounds like they wanted some privacy. I don't see the issue with it personally. Obviously it was bone headed but it certainly doesn't mean it was criminal.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •