Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I wouldn't have a problem with Spiller. But if guys like Mcclain, Haden, T Williams, & Spoon are on the board, how do you pass? I would be fine with taking BPA when you can't fill a need because players graded where you pick are gone and you can't trade out. If Spoon, Haden, Williams, Spiller & Mcclain are all on the board at #18....I would rate them like this:

1. Haden - How can you pass? Who cares about the 40 time at the combine. Fluid in position drills and on film.
    2. Trent Williams - Can play anywhere. He's the Steelers new C.
    3. Spoon - I like him better than McClain since the Senior Bowl. My pick in the mock because I feel Haden & Williams will be gone.
    4. Spiller - At this spot with Haden, Williams, & Spoon off the board...I would take him over McClain.
    5. Trade back and target Pouncey.
    6. BPA-McClain
    How about Spiller is a better player than you mention and will make the biggest impact as a rookie? If you are looking at impact as a rookie then drop Haden, Spoon and McClain because they won't play.

Slap your mouth for even mentioning Pouncey in the same thread as the other players you list. The guy is a mid Round 2 pick at best based on talent.

Williams would actually give me a few seconds pause to think before I selected Spiller.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Guys we will draft a RB in the first 5 rounds but I don't see it being a scat back. It will be a power runner to help in the RZ and to sustain leads late in games. The only way I see us grabbing Spiller is if we also draft a power back. And even then...I can't see it happening.
    But it has been proven over the past couple of years that you are usually wrong and I am usually right. Therefore I wonder what Number CJ will get
    Yeah that must be the good stuff.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Guys we will draft a RB in the first 5 rounds but I don't see it being a scat back. It will be a power runner to help in the RZ and to sustain leads late in games. The only way I see us grabbing Spiller is if we also draft a power back. And even then...I can't see it happening.
    But it has been proven over the past couple of years that you are usually wrong and I am usually right. Therefore I wonder what Number CJ will get
    Shawn, I'll have to say, your mock draft is looking better and better each day!

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't have a problem with Spiller. But if guys like Mcclain, Haden, T Williams, & Spoon are on the board, how do you pass? I would be fine with taking BPA when you can't fill a need because players graded where you pick are gone and you can't trade out. If Spoon, Haden, Williams, Spiller & Mcclain are all on the board at #18....I would rate them like this:

1. Haden - How can you pass? Who cares about the 40 time at the combine. Fluid in position drills and on film.
    3. Spoon - I like him better than McClain since the Senior Bowl. My pick in the mock because I feel Haden & Williams will be gone.
    4. Spiller - At this spot with Haden, Williams, & Spoon off the board...I would take him over McClain.
    6. BPA-McClain
    How about Spiller is a better player than you mention and will make the biggest impact as a rookie? If you are looking at impact as a rookie then drop Haden, Spoon and McClain because they won't play.

Slap your mouth for even mentioning Pouncey in the same thread as the other players you list. The guy is a mid Round 2 pick at best based on talent.

Williams would actually give me a few seconds pause to think before I selected Spiller.
    I'm more interested in who would be the best pick long-term than who would have the most impact as a rookie.

And to answer your other question, right now Justin Vincent is #28. If the Steelers draft Spiller, there is zero need for practice-squad-emeritus Vincent, so C.J. would get his college number.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Yeah, except than in order to get Kyle Wilson, you'd have to take him at #18.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Pap is 100% correct...

The Steelers have filled out their roster to the point where they feel that they can field a competitive team without drafting a single player...

They will take the highest rated player on their draft board, trade up or trade down...

With the roster as it currently stands, they have the freedom to do exactly that...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

6. BPA-McClain

We don't know what kind of impact Spiller would have. Returning kicks....Maybe? Spelling Mendenhall...Perhaps. I wouldn't jump on "impact" as a rookie. There have been a many "speed" backs come into this league that have to adjust or even don't succeed. That is the poison pill of a running back early. You are talking about impact as a rookie...Many teams look at the long term contribution as a player who will be an impact for many years. You become so defensive about Spiller O. I would be pleased with the pick. I would question it with other guys on the board. I think Spiller was a highly productve player at Clemson. I just have other players rated higher than him that fill a need for the Steelers. If he was rated higher than the guys that filled a need...Than You draft Spiller.

I said trade back for Pouncey...You should read again. Might have to be in front of the Colts @ #30 MIN (Hmm...Tomlin?) To ensure you get him. Pouncey is late first talent and won't last outside of the first 10 picks in round 2. If you know Offensive Lineman, you understand how special he is.

There will be RBs taken later in the draft that could have as big or bigger impact than Spiller. The unique positions they will be in will dictate that. Spiller on the Steelers would be the primary KR guy and spell Mendenhall. Maybe a 600 plus yard year for him here. There would be other running backs that get drafted who would have a bigger "impact" on their team taken after Spiller. There will be 1,000 yard guys in there so how to you gauge your "impact"? Spiller goes out and puts up 1,700 yards for the Seahawks or 49ers...You can't immediately say he would have done that for the Steelers. If you are guaging your impact by yardage...You have an easy argument. But there are guys on that list that would have bigger impacts on this team that aren't recorded by yardage. If it isn't this year...It will be in the future. The Steelers could get those "stats" out of other RBs drafted later. Is he the best RB...Absolutely! DO you spend a #1 @ 18 on a RB who won't be the starter but contribute...If he is the highest rated guy on the board when the Steelers pick...You bet. If you have a higher rated guy sitting there that fills a need...You have to go the other direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Yeah, except than in order to get Kyle Wilson, you'd have to take him at #18.
    Wilson at #18 is overdrafting. Just my opinion.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

6. BPA-McClain

I'm more interested in who would be the best pick long-term than who would have the most impact as a rookie.

And to answer your other question, right now Justin Vincent is #28. If the Steelers draft Spiller, there is zero need for practice-squad-emeritus Vincent, so C.J. would get his college number.
    Well said, Ruthless.

Focusing on the impact a player would make as a rookie is incredibly short-sighted. Neither Troy nor Santonio (formerly Bustamalu and San-Terdio, respectively) made much of an impact as a rookie, yet both are obviously incredibly valuable members of the team. Timmons made no impact as a rookie -- can we discard him as a wasted pick?

I'm most interested in adding the player who will help the team the most for the next 5-10 years, and I don't see that guy being a running back.

Legend

User Info Menu

FWIW, here is Wexell's take on how the Foote signing will impact the draft:

Move Iupati back in front of Weatherspoon as most likely 1st-round pick. But have bad feeling Tomlin thinks Timmons can play OLB if needed 34 minutes ago via web
    [url]http://twitter.com/jimwexell[/url]