Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

IMO it means they may be looking at another position in Round 1, e.g. DL.

I think the depth added with these recent signings means we may see a real curveball with our Round 1 pick. Just think of the posting fodder that will provide the "draft experts" and GM wanna bes. We'll be good for months.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

I just decided in my latest mock, we'll trade our #1 this year and next + Limas Sweed to KC for Eric Berry.

I think we're trading up a bunch this year. If not in the first, definitely in the 2nd, 3rd.

We could potentially trade down in the first and up into the back end of the first and grab a couple of great players like Odrick + Weatherspoon. I could see us trying to get 2 picks in the 20s.

Backup

User Info Menu

I dont watch college football, I dont know crap about any of these college players in the draft and in fact during the draft is the first time I get to know all the ROOKIES and I find that to be so enertaining to me.

However with that being said this offseason has me convinced that we are TRADING UP in the 1st round to get either a RB or CB!!!! There is NO other need on this football team and part of me even thinks we are trading a WALLACE or HOLMES to possibly get 2 picks in the 1st round. Call me crazy or call it a hunch but something is going on that we just dont know about just yet............There's no other explanation!!!

We never bring our players back and we brought back 2 1/2...(clark being half since he was as good as gone in miami) something crazy is happening in PITTSBURGH and I for one LOVE IT!!!!!!! We have extra picks and we have HOLMES I believe available for trade. I bet WASHINGTON would love to have a HOLMES!!!!!!!!!! Just saying!!!!

Our defense is 100% better when TROY PLAYS but adding a shutdown corner would be nice and adding that 2nd RB behind Mendenhall would be nicer.

Not sure what will happen but I bet the Steelers will pick higher then pick 18.

Open for debate!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Ben is charged, our draft day could be really wild. I don't think we'd release him (though we may), but I do think the contingency plan (trading for a vet backup or drafting a QB early could happen) would become a priority.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's my opinion that the Steelers FA signings are simply adding depth to as many positions as possible to allow them to take the BPA based on their draft board and that includes Spiller should he fall. As much as I'd hate to see it, it wouldn't surprise me if they took him if he fell. It would almost be impossible to pass on him should he fall that far.

Regardless, the Steelers have put themselves in a position to take BPA and that's how they like to operate.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    If Ben is charged, our draft day could be really wild. I don't think we'd release him (though we may), but I do think the contingency plan (trading for a vet backup or drafting a QB early could happen) would become a priority.
    $$$$
    The Steelers' plan in signing all of these older FA's is to leave themselves the flexibility to get a QB, if needed, or to draft the BPA.

However--
    I hope we don't stock up so heavily on the "oldie moldies" that there's no chance for much infusion of young talent...for me, that's especially a concern on defense, where our DC
    seems to want to go with the older players.

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree with you PAP. That is how they operate NORMALLY.

But

They also normally don't bring back their own players and as much as they have added in depth there is 2 positions they have failed to address. CB and RB.

We have 6 WR's and even with SWEEDS ROCK hands he's a very capable #4. He does get open and is a huge target and lets not forget the block he had against the Ravens. Why have this many WR's before the draft???? Why add another OL, a safety, another LB when we have FOX who we all LOVE??? All this tooo me adds up to a block buster TRADE or we are MOVING UP to get our guy. Our guy is the CB from FLORIDA to me without hestitation. BUT...i'm also thinking we need a RB....Again i dont know the college players but maybe in RD 2???? Anyone availabe you college junkies????? How you guys stay married watching all this football is beyond me...LOL.......i couldnt stay married and I only watch it on Sundays!!!!!!!! LOL

Either way we are DUE a JEROME BETTIS DRAFT DAY SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!

We add 2 WR'S, a LB we didnt really need, a OL, 2 safeties if you count clark.......what we need is a CORNER!!!!!!!!!!! No way we add all those guys if we arent targeting a CB in RD 1......NO WAY!!!!!!!! I'm just saying.

That's my opinion and again I dont know......but this year we arent operating as NORMAL!!!!!!!!!! We can't afford a number 1 CB in free agency........we can though in the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    It's my opinion that the Steelers FA signings are simply adding depth to as many positions as possible to allow them to take the BPA based on their draft board and that includes Spiller should he fall. As much as I'd hate to see it, it wouldn't surprise me if they took him if he fell. It would almost be impossible to pass on him should he fall that far.

Regardless, the Steelers have put themselves in a position to take BPA and that's how they like to operate.

Pappy
    Spiller!!! Yea baby!!! You are starting to look and see and the same time. Too many on this board look but don't see and listen but don't hear.

IMO we are putting together a roster that gives us the freedom to go up and get him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Pappy
    Spiller!!! Yea baby!!! You are starting to look and see and the same time. Too many on this board look but don't see and listen but don't hear.

IMO we are putting together a roster that gives us the freedom to go up and get him.
    Who is Spiller? Has anyone talked about him before?
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Pappy

Moving up to get him would be fool-hearty in my opinion. If he drops I have no problem taking him. If they move up it has to be a player that they really like to step in and help the team, ie Eric Berry or Joe Haden etc.

Taking Spiller at 1.18 would be staying true to Steeler draft day form, value and BPA in the draft. Personally, I hope he's gone, so that the decision is made for them, but if he isn't he'd probably be the pick unless someone like Haden falls as well.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount