Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Does signing Foote mean no LB in Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    But it has been proven over the past couple of years that you are usually wrong and I am usually right. Therefore I wonder what Number CJ will get
    Yeah that must be the good stuff.
    Shawn, I'll have to say, your mock draft is looking better and better each day!
    Yeah, except than in order to get Kyle Wilson, you'd have to take him at #18.
    Wilson at #18 is overdrafting. Just my opinion.
    Just saying that he is not likely to be available at #52, since SMG has us taking Wilson in round 2. As the #2 CB in the draft, I expect him to come off the board in the 20's at this point.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    FWIW, here is Wexell's take on how the Foote signing will impact the draft:

Move Iupati back in front of Weatherspoon as most likely 1st-round pick. But have bad feeling Tomlin thinks Timmons can play OLB if needed 34 minutes ago via web
    [url]http://twitter.com/jimwexell[/url]
    Why would we take Iupati? Have we totally given up on Kraig Urbik our 2nd pick last year? I hope not. That would make it two years in a row where our 2nd pick has done nothing. I'd like to think that we would not miss two years in a row on this important pick. If so, we really need to look at who is doing the scouting and picking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Urbik was not a second round pick. 3rd round, #79 overall.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Move Iupati back in front of Weatherspoon as most likely 1st-round pick. But have bad feeling Tomlin thinks Timmons can play OLB if needed 34 minutes ago via web
    I really don't like Iupati at #18. I can only imagine how much he would struggle against vet DL after seeing the way he struggled against rookie DL at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure some coaching could help him...If he is coachable. You have to like the guy and his story but I question if he has enough intelligence to make it at the next level. I would rather have Spiller (If DL,LB,CB,S are out.) than draft this guy because he could be a physical presence "if" he could be coached and realize his potential.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I didn't say he was our 2nd round pick. He was our 2nd pick, however.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

I really don't like Iupati at #18. I can only imagine how much he would struggle against vet DL after seeing the way he struggled against rookie DL at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure some coaching could help him...If he is coachable. You have to like the guy and his story but I question if he has enough intelligence to make it at the next level. I would rather have Spiller (If DL,LB,CB,S are out.) than draft this guy because he could be a physical presence "if" he could be coached and realize his potential.
    I wasn't necessarily advocating for Iupati. Just passing along the info.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

I wasn't necessarily advocating for Iupati. Just passing along the info.
    I know. Just commenting on Wexell.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I didn't say he was our 2nd round pick. He was our 2nd pick, however.
    Oops, so you did. I need to start reading a little more closely! Sorry about that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Urbik, at the Combine, showed he was weak in one-on-one blocking tests, constantly flailing around as the big guys pushed him back.

Iupati is the opposite- big, strong at the point of attack.

Urbik is more mobile, more a pass blocker, while Iupati obviously struggles with his footwork.

The Steelers have already said they want to commit to improving the running game.

Without adding a new RB, what is the best way to do that? Beef up the run blocking.

If Ben misses time, the Steelers will fall back on the running game, not on Batch/Dixon's arm.

If there is no Senior Bowl game, everyone talks about how dominant Iupati is. Chadman can think of one other guy that the Senior Bowl hurt his chances- LaMarr Woodley really struggled at the Senior Bowl, dropping from 1st round consideration as a result. However, if you took his college career as a greater guide, how could Woodley be anything BUT a 1st round pick?

Steelers have a new OL coach brought in to improve that unit's play. One that has a history of working with young guys & finding roles for them to play that limits their liabilities.

Here's betting Iupati is a Steeler.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Urbik, at the Combine, showed he was weak in one-on-one blocking tests, constantly flailing around as the big guys pushed him back.

Iupati is the opposite- big, strong at the point of attack.

Urbik is more mobile, more a pass blocker, while Iupati obviously struggles with his footwork.

The Steelers have already said they want to commit to improving the running game.

Without adding a new RB, what is the best way to do that? Beef up the run blocking.

If Ben misses time, the Steelers will fall back on the running game, not on Batch/Dixon's arm.

If there is no Senior Bowl game, everyone talks about how dominant Iupati is. Chadman can think of one other guy that the Senior Bowl hurt his chances- LaMarr Woodley really struggled at the Senior Bowl, dropping from 1st round consideration as a result. However, if you took his college career as a greater guide, how could Woodley be anything BUT a 1st round pick?

Steelers have a new OL coach brought in to improve that unit's play. One that has a history of working with young guys & finding roles for them to play that limits their liabilities.

Here's betting Iupati is a Steeler.
    I wouldn't go to Vegas with that bet. Well, besides the fact it would be very long flight for you. If our new line coach is good, then I hope he can teach Urbik what he needs to know to start at RG.