Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    My God.

Some people will throw anything up on a message board....

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul...
    That was my initial thought as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who's Dennis Dixon?

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm actually in a place where I'd like a mid-round QB... in the event ben is injured... or "whatever".... (hooks up with a high schooler)

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Who's Dennis Dixon?

Who's Aaron Rodgers? Some QB who has shown some above average skills. DD might be AR, but, without meaning any disrespect, whether he is or isn't, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Heck of an interesting discussion, only a few slightly personal attacks on my intelligence (of which I have enough) and my sanity (which is, certifiably, questionable)...

I have to admit, my views are somewhat clouded by something close to disgust at Ben's personal conduct... and my references to Ron Artest and Latrell Sprewell were made because I question whether Ben's issue is immaturity (which he'll grow out of) or impulse control (which will eventually land him in jail, no matter how lawyered up he gets if he doesn't get some help). As the father of a near teen daughter and a high school teacher I look at Ben's situation, look at the young kids I work with and just shake my head. Even if he didn't do anything that can be proven illegal, it's wrong. Some things are bigger than football and jersey loyalty and even my loyalty to the old home in the 'Burgh. I absolutely hate the fact that I have to feel conflicted about rooting for my team. Truthfully, I believe the Rooney family probably feels the same way, having the old style Irish Catholic roots, and ticking off the boss doesn't serve one's best interests regardless of one's profession.

That said, I admit that I get bored and turn off the preseason games late when I don't recognize the jersey numbers, so I haven't seen a ton of Dixon's games... BUT Oregon was a national title contender, #2 in the BCS at 8 - 0 his senior year when he got hurt, and he WAS the team. Without him, they lost out the season. If they win out, he is likely at LEAST a first day pick and maybe sneaks up to the top half of round 2. As it is, he was a tremendous steal, and could be an ace in the hole

Aaron Rodgers is a good NFL quarterback who has a chance to be more, and I believe based on his pedigree and what I've seen of his arm strength and running ability that Dixon could be the same. He played in that silly Oregon spread, which would limit his training in reading defenses... can he do it? Don't know, but our past experiences with guys like him were Korky and Tee Martin, who TOGETHER scored a 22 on the Wonderlic. If the guy has even average smarts, I think he could be something...

And I'd rather go 8 - 8 with a clean conscience and positive role model with competitive upside leading my team than 12 - 4 with a ticking time bomb whose character I deplore and who, if he implodes as I fear he will, could pull the entire franchise down with him. If he goes Michael Vick on us, we turn into the Raiders. If I'm a lone voice, so be it, but I'm ready to cut bait.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This thread is at least one year premature.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Since you brought up Wonderlic scores, Dennis Dixon's was a 29.

Here are the Wonderlic scores of some other QB's:

1.Drew Henson 42
    2.Alex Smith 40
    3.Eli Manning 39
    4.Brian Griese 39
    5.Charlie Frye 38
    6.Tony Romo 37
    7.Drew Bledsoe 36
    8.Matt Leinart 35
    9.Kellen Clemens 35
    10.Aaron Rodgers 35
    11.Tom Brady 33
    12.Steve Young 33
    13.Joey Harrington 32
    14.Patrick Ramsey 32
    15.Sage Rosenfels 32
    16.J.P. Losman 31
    17.Matt Schaub 31
    18.Phillip Rivers 30
    19.Brady Quinn 29
    20.Rex Grossman 29
    21.Marc Bulger 29
    22.Matt Hasselbeck 29
    23.Troy Aikman 29
    24.John Elway 29
    25.Drew Brees 28
    26.Peyton Manning 28
    27.Kyle Boller 27
    28.Ryan Leaf 27
    29.Jay Cutler 26
    30.Kyle Orton 26
    31.Carson Palmer 26
    32.Akili Smith 26
    33.Ben Roethlisberger 25
    34.Byron Leftwich 25
    35.Chad Pennington 25
    36.JaMarcus Russell 24
    37.David Carr 24
    38.Jason Campbell 23
    39.Tim Couch 22
    40.Trent Dilfer 22
    41.Brett Favre 22
    42.Michael Vick 20
    43.Tarvaris Jackson 19
    44.Bruce Gradkowski 19
    45.Derek Anderson 19
    46.A.J. Feeley 19
    47.Daunte Culpepper 18
    48.Aaron Brooks 17
    49.Vinny Testeverde 17
    50.Vince Young 16
    51.Steve McNair 15
    52.Randall Cunningham 15
    53.Dan Marino 15
    54.Terry Bradshaw 15
    55.David Garrard 14
    56.Donovan McNabb 14
    57.Marcus Vick 11
    58.Jeff George 10
    59.Chris Leak 8
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    This thread is at least one year premature.
    To that I'd probably agree. Ideally, you'd like to see a young guy on the bench at LEAST 3 or 4 years... additionally, although the negative attention does take it's toll on the team, the legal case WILL play out. The only reason I think this even is possible is because of 2010's unique capless year, and even at that, I see the chances being at best 50/50 even if the worst happens legally... but the what ifs are what discussion boards are for!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    Heck of an interesting discussion, only a few slightly personal attacks on my intelligence (of which I have enough) and my sanity (which is, certifiably, questionable)...

I have to admit, my views are somewhat clouded by something close to disgust at Ben's personal conduct... and my references to Ron Artest and Latrell Sprewell were made because I question whether Ben's issue is immaturity (which he'll grow out of) or impulse control (which will eventually land him in jail, no matter how lawyered up he gets if he doesn't get some help). As the father of a near teen daughter and a high school teacher I look at Ben's situation, look at the young kids I work with and just shake my head. Even if he didn't do anything that can be proven illegal, it's wrong. Some things are bigger than football and jersey loyalty and even my loyalty to the old home in the 'Burgh. I absolutely hate the fact that I have to feel conflicted about rooting for my team. Truthfully, I believe the Rooney family probably feels the same way, having the old style Irish Catholic roots, and ticking off the boss doesn't serve one's best interests regardless of one's profession.

That said, I admit that I get bored and turn off the preseason games late when I don't recognize the jersey numbers, so I haven't seen a ton of Dixon's games... BUT Oregon was a national title contender, #2 in the BCS at 8 - 0 his senior year when he got hurt, and he WAS the team. Without him, they lost out the season. If they win out, he is likely at LEAST a first day pick and maybe sneaks up to the top half of round 2. As it is, he was a tremendous steal, and could be an ace in the hole

Aaron Rodgers is a good NFL quarterback who has a chance to be more, and I believe based on his pedigree and what I've seen of his arm strength and running ability that Dixon could be the same. He played in that silly Oregon spread, which would limit his training in reading defenses... can he do it? Don't know, but our past experiences with guys like him were Korky and Tee Martin, who TOGETHER scored a 22 on the Wonderlic. If the guy has even average smarts, I think he could be something...

And I'd rather go 8 - 8 with a clean conscience and positive role model with competitive upside leading my team than 12 - 4 with a ticking time bomb whose character I deplore and who, if he implodes as I fear he will, could pull the entire franchise down with him. If he goes Michael Vick on us, we turn into the Raiders. If I'm a lone voice, so be it, but I'm ready to cut bait.
    Given the current circumstances I'd have to say I couldn't disagree more.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's my take...I'm with Ben until he's not with us. In the meantime, develop Dixon because he's got skills as good as any coming out in the draft this year & could very easily lead this team to a winning record.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...