Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers

Starter

User Info Menu

Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers

Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers. Very good quarterback with the luxury of developing the way QB's used to back in the day - by sitting the bench and waiting their turn, devoid of the pressure of being the annointed savior who has to step in and win NOW or be classified as a colossal bust before they turn 24.

Add in a very good team around him to help, and I expect that just as we stayed with the Rats in Baltimore week 11 last year, we'll be able to play with just about anybody in the league with Dixon at QB next year... at least by December and January, when a team needs to be peaking.

This season presents a unique opportunity to rid the franchise of what is quickly becoming an enormous black eye and potential liability both competitively and financially in Ben and his immaturity without any cap repercussions. The player we need to replace him is, I believe, already on the roster. I think there's a decent chance (say, 1 in 5) that Ben isn't a Steeler by the start of the season. I think it goes closer to 50/50 if he's charged, based on the perfect storm of circumstances with the capless year, already groomed replacement, and team ready to win now and possibly ready to move on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers

Sorry, but I think you are talking like a crazy person.

Legend

User Info Menu

franchise QBs like Ben don't come along very often. why don't we just wait until the facts come out first before we make any rash decisions?

so far he is only guilty of using poor judgment...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dennis Dixon is no Aaron Rodgers.

Starter

User Info Menu

Once is bad judgment. Jeopardizing your career three times in 5 years with reckless behavior is sheer stupidity that rises to the point of making you a liability, no matter how talented. If Ben gets away with this, what's to say that in a year or two we're not in the same spot again? Do the Steelers really want to go the way of the Indiana Pacers with Ron Artest or the Golden State Warriors with Latrell Sprewell?

If you've got a decent player groomed to step in, strike while the iron is hot, says I... be proactive for the good of the organization.

Starter

User Info Menu

I like Ben. No question he has gotten the job done many times. He can frustrate too with his all or nothing style of play. I was sort of getting tired of him underthrowing Wallace all the time. I thought Ben had a big arm until the one game (Redskins '08, I think) when Leftwich replaced Ben in the second half. Leftwich seemed to throw the ball so much harder than Ben I couldn't believe my eyes. Ever since then it seems to me Ben's arm is not one of the stronger ones in the NFL.

I think Dixon's arm might be stronger than Ben's. He's definitely got wheels. If we had an OC who knew how to utilize his talents, I think Dixon has the tools to be what Mike Vick was SUPPOSED to be. And he was the #1 overall pick one year. We almost won Dixon's first start. With more experience I think he will get more comfortable and make better decisions more consistently. Ben may be more accurate. Not sure there.

I am not jumping to any conclusions about Ben's case but neither am I losing any sleep over what might happen in the case. I think we can win a lot of games with Dixon. After the Baltimore game last year I was even thinking maybe we could trade Ben for a couple #1's in a year or so when Dixon is ready to take over. The biggest thing holding Dixon back might be our OC who doesn't want him to use one of his greatest assets, his legs.

I don't know how that huge contract of Ben's fits into the picture. Is that something that would not give Dixon a fair shot to take over #1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is our franchise QB, those are not that easy to find. He has already helped us to win two Super Bowls, he just turned 28 and his best years may well be ahead of him.

Are we really having this conversation?

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Are we really having this conversation?

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/OWTTm9dF0YTmhFIdJcv*TCbgC9DNGUZMwBCLuBhTICjM1nUgHF d55R*C88WMDvv1ENOXh9DWRkok-Cb22MrPZ0oPoXHlw5*G/fail2.jpg[/img]

Legend

User Info Menu

There is nothing to indicate that Dixon = Aaron Rodgers. There is nothing to say that he is much better than Tee Martin, or even that he could be Kordell.

Dixon is fast and has a decent arm, but he was really exposed against the Ravens when they dropped into a simple zone. Early in the game, he was very much a game manager - the Steelers ran and set up play action. Ben takes over games and wins them. Dixon has not shown that he can do that yet.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    Dennis Dixon = Aaron Rodgers.
    You'd have to be quite moronic to really believe that.

LOL.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]