Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-time Pittsburgh sportscaster unloads on Big Ben

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Long-time Pittsburgh sportscaster unloads on Big Ben

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 8:29 PM ET
    As we've mentioned a time or two this week, the tide of public opinion in Pittsburgh has turned dramatically against Ben Roethlisberger in the wake of a second allegation of sexual assault.

Local talk radio has featured plenty of anecdotal evidence regarding generally boorish behavior from Big Ben (we've heard a couple of stories that we possibly will be posting, once they are vetted by the PFT legal team -- i.e., me), and his defenders are becoming fewer and farther between.

Perhaps most jarring is the maiden blog voyage of long-time, old-school Pittsburgh sportscaster John Steigerwald, who spent more than two decades on KDKA-TV, who has hosted radio in the Pittsburgh area, and who currently appears on a weekly Sunday night show on WTAE-TV.

Here's what Steigerwald says about Roethlisberger: "First of all, none of this surprises me. Ben is a bad citizen. He doesn't know how to treat people and he definitely doesn't know how to handle being the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. In my more than 30 years of working in the Pittsburgh sports media, I have never had any player come close to generating as many unsolicited questions from fans as Roethlisberger has. They want to know why he's such a jackass. And these aren't just Steelers fans who got turned down for an autograph. It's men and women from all walks of life."

Steigerwald specifically points to a Make-A-Wish child that Roethlisberger allegedly blew off. Per Steigerwald, KDKA opted not to pursue the matter as a news story. Steigerwald later spoke to the parents, who did not want to go public on behalf of their daughter, who had cystic fibrosis.

Steigerwald's verdict? "Roethlisberger is a punk who needs to be knocked down a peg or two."

As a general matter, Pittsburgh-area sportscasters tread lightly when it comes to the Steelers, if they value access and cooperation from the organization. Steigerwald's atypical candor is a sign that, when it comes to Big Ben, the local journalists have either gotten a nod from the team to take off the gloves, or they just don't care.

[url="ttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/long-time-pittsburgh-sportscaster-unloads-on-big-ben/"]ttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201 ... n-big-ben/[/url]

Ouch!
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Long-time Pittsburgh sportscaster unloads on Big Ben

there is a reason KDKA didn't renew his contract after 22 years with the station...
    Steigerwald has to be the most miserable person on the planet. Paul Steigerwald, his brother is always out drinking around Pittsburgh and guess what? He has women hanging all over him and he's twice the age of Ben.

Just implying that Ben wasn't drunk but may had been high on something else shows just what a d-bag Steigerwald is.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    there is a reason KDKA didn't renew his contract after 22 years with the station...
    Steigerwald has to be the most miserable person on the planet. Paul Steigerwald, his brother is always out drinking around Pittsburgh and guess what? He has women hanging all over him and he's twice the age of Ben.

Just implying that Ben wasn't drunk but may had been high on something else shows just what a d-bag Steigerwald is.
    WTF do we care about a sports writers brother? If his old azz can get young tail well, more power to him.

Steiverwald can be the biggest d bag in the world. No one cares about his personal life.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by JAR

WTF do we care about a sports writers brother? If his old azz can get young tail well, more power to him.

Steiverwald can be the biggest d bag in the world. No one cares about his personal life.
    that's what I'm saying, he writes an article ripping Ben, yet his brother does what Ben does and he himself is an arrogant jerk that wouldn't give anyone walking down the street the time of day. Another holier than thou, better than everyone hypocrite chimes in about Ben.

And FWIW, I've run into Ben several times as have several others I know and I have never seen Ben act like a jerk or have the others.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's been my experience through out my life that people that pass judgement on others are the biggest hypocrites alive. Not one jackass fishwrap hack or reporter knows what it is like to be in Ben's shoes. It seems like a lot of these reporters were little geeks in school and always have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to famous, rich athletes. If Ben is an a-hole, then so be it. I only really care about his performance on the field. When he does things that interfere with his ability to play, then yes, I have an issue with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    It's been my experience through out my life that people that pass judgement on others are the biggest hypocrites alive. Not one jackass fishwrap hack or reporter knows what it is like to be in Ben's shoes. It seems like a lot of these reporters were little geeks in school and always have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to famous, rich athletes. If Ben is an a-hole, then so be it. I only really care about his performance on the field. When he does things that interfere with his ability to play, then yes, I have an issue with that.
    Now reporters are jerks and jealous haters?

Newsflash, this is why they are sports writers and it's pretty funny how half the players and coaches retire and run to TV stations to become analyst.

This the job of reporters... tell the story, embellish the story, rehash the story.
    Ben's job off the field is to prevent stories like this from happening. I could see if reporters made up stories from scratch.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Now reporters are jerks and jealous haters?

Newsflash, this is why they are sports writers and it's pretty funny how half the players and coaches retire and run to TV stations to become analyst.

This the job of reporters... tell the story, embellish the story, rehash the story.
    Ben's job off the field is to prevent stories like this from happening. I could see if reporters made up stories from scratch.
    Problem is, Steigerwld didn't tell the story, he spewed rumors and sounded like a raving lunatic.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steigerwald got blasted, deleted all negative comments left about him and changed his blog.

[url="http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/roethlisberger-again#comments"]http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/roethl ... n#comments[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steigerwald unleashed hell on Ben. Wow WTF?!?
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Steigerwald unleashed hell on Ben. Wow WTF?!?
    Whatever happened to unleashing fiery hell ?? Isn't that the Steeler way? :P