Thread: Why didn't Ben get arrested?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why didn't Ben get arrested?

Maybe I'm missing something here. But if the girl went to the police to report the incident right after it allegedly happened, why wasn't Ben arrested? People get arrested on the spot for simple assault. And even if Ben left the area, why isn't there a warrant out for his arrest? Doesn't make sense.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Why didn't Ben get arrested?

It's called the Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights. They need probable cause before they can arrest someone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They might have been able to the night itself, but I'm guessing having 2 off duty cops with you probably helped in not getting Ben arrested.

When I was in college and our Frat threw a party we used to get the cops called on us by other homes close by for noise and cops would stop by and start closing down the party. But if we paid for cops to help work the door and check ID's, when the complaints came in they would just say they were at the party and we never had to close down early.

More likely though it's probably because it's a big celebrity and they wanted to trend lightly before making any type of arrest.

I applaud the local police for not doing anything yet. They are interviewing everyone they can, getting footage from the bar, trying to obtain DNA samples and doing a fairly detailed investigation before making an arrest...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justplainnasty
    It's called the Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights. They need probable cause before they can arrest someone.

I'm not a lawyer or a cop, but I'm thinking a woman going to the hospital and the police to report a sexual assault constitutes probable cause.

From the Lectric Law Library ([url="http://www.lectlaw.com"]http://www.lectlaw.com[/url]):

When there are grounds for suspicion that a person has committed a crime or misdemeanor, and public justice and the good of the community require that the matter should be examined, there is said to be a probable cause for, making a charge against the accused, however malicious the intention of the accuser may have been. And probable cause will be presumed till the contrary appears.

Anyway, the point of my original post was that if in fact there was evidence to arrest Ben on the spot, it would have happened. Just hoping this all goes away soon.