Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I've Never Seen The Rooney's This Upset"

Re: "I've Never Seen The Rooney's This Upset"

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    What has Ben done? what is he guilty of?

Ben has brought negative media attention to a franchise that prides itself on the way it conducts its business and its stature in the community. That is what he has done, that is what he is guilty of....so far.
    It does not take much for the tide to turn...look what Toyota is going through. Fifty years of goodwill can be wiped out in a blink.

Perception is reality in the eyes of the media....right or wrong.
    And this is where I have an issue with MANY posters on this board- Ben's reputation is garbage right now- gone, just like that.

Now, if he's not convicted- his reputation doesn't come back- bam- just like that. He remains guilty of bad behaviour, poor intellect, bad judgement, blah blah.

Many are quick to lay the wrath of God on Ben for bringing the Steeler name to disrepute. It'll be interesting to see how many are quick to restore his reputation if he isn't convicted. I didn't say how many would stop ragging on him- I said RESTORE his reputation. Because we have sure been quick to pull it down.
    Kobe Bryant restored his image; Ben will be fine if the charges are dropped or charges are filed and he's found innocent. If he's found guilty well, then his reputation will be right where it belongs.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    "He's a great player, but no one is above the team here," a team source said. "That's the Steelers' way. Anything like this happens again, and it's over here. I've never seen the Rooneys this upset".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
    You mean, they haven't seen and heard enough already?? This is getting scarier by the second...... I mean, what else does this guy need to do? Shoot the Pope?? Rooney's, like it sadly seems to continue to be with many steelers homers, remain in denial......
    He hasn't been found guilty of anything. In fact, he hasn't even been charged with anything. What do you suggest we do right now? Cut him?
    Trade him for Vick
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Ben has brought negative media attention to a franchise that prides itself on the way it conducts its business and its stature in the community. That is what he has done, that is what he is guilty of....so far.
    It does not take much for the tide to turn...look what Toyota is going through. Fifty years of goodwill can be wiped out in a blink.

And this is where I have an issue with MANY posters on this board- Ben's reputation is garbage right now- gone, just like that.

Now, if he's not convicted- his reputation doesn't come back- bam- just like that. He remains guilty of bad behaviour, poor intellect, bad judgement, blah blah.

Many are quick to lay the wrath of God on Ben for bringing the Steeler name to disrepute. It'll be interesting to see how many are quick to restore his reputation if he isn't convicted. I didn't say how many would stop ragging on him- I said RESTORE his reputation. Because we have sure been quick to pull it down.
    Kobe Bryant restored his image; Ben will be fine if the charges are dropped or charges are filed and he's found innocent. If he's found guilty well, then his reputation will be right where it belongs.

Pappy
    I just hope, but feel I will be disappointed, that this doesn't carry over into camp and the season. Regardless of his guilt or innocense, he is guilty of casting a shadow over the TEAM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

Of course they are upset. Even is Ben is not guilty of anything, have you seen the news lately? Every single cable channel, every single second, it's Ben, Ben, Ben. Like I said, even if he's not guilty, the media is killing Ben and the Steelers for possibly no reason at all.

Pro Bowler

Even if he's not convicted it still remains he had bad judgment. Assuming he was innocent in the McNulty case (which I do believe) and even in this one (I'm not convinced either way), he had a civil case pending. If he couldn't see that conditions were ripe for another accusation to fly, the two accusations mutually strengthening each other, and a big mess being created, then he had bad judgment.

It's more than that. It's also bringing the future of the Steelers into potential disarray.

Pro Bowler

Its stupid to talk about cutting him now since he's not guilty in our courts of anything. Its a waste of time to get overly upset either at this point. If he's guilty, we cut him and move on.
    Nothing we can do but ride this out a bit. We can end his contract early and recoop money if he's guilty because I know the Rooneys have a clause in his contract. It would be better to just ride out his contract for 3 more years, then release him. He's not going to be a long career kinda guy anyway. We all know that. Every team has skeletons out for display. ALL 32. This will be just one of ours. No fault to the Steelers or their fans. We go at lengths to avoid bad guys, but when you have one, you just can't dump the money invested. We'll roll with this punch, like the others would.

Here's my take of the situation and how we WILL proceed.

Ben rides this case out and it will take a full year or will be dropped in time for next season.
    He will play for us next season. Then depending on the outcome, we either ride out this contract or cut ties and recoop money. Roll with the punches. The Steelers are an organization of large testosterone filled men. There will be problems. Though it may feel like it, this is not our church priest/minister. If guilty, he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Pappy
    I just hope, but feel I will be disappointed, that this doesn't carry over into camp and the season. Regardless of his guilt or innocense, he is guilty of casting a shadow over the TEAM.
    Yup, I've been saying that all along that he has certainly put the team in a precarious position again during the off season. He will probably have an outstanding civil case in Nevada and either an out of court settlement or a criminal case in Georgia as the team heads into training camp. I can't see either of these being cleared up by the time camp rolls around, unless, evidence and/or facts are found to discredit the woman.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Ben's reputation is tied to SuperBowls. This will motivate him even more to win...hopefully.

Pappy
    Kobe Bryant restored his reputation by NEVER AGAIN drawing significant negative attention to himself and behaving as a model citizen for years... Ben's history leads one to doubt very seriously whether he's capable of doing that. Whether or not he's convicted, if nearly dying in a motorcycleaccident and being slappedwith a sex assault lawsuit wasn't enough to scare him straight, I don't think this will either, and we'll be left wondering what asinine, sleazy, or possibly criminal thing our horse's azz of a quarterback is going to do next. I've had enough.

I think even the most devote Ben fan has to be fed up. I know I am. There comes a time where he either needs to grow up...or screw with another team's offseason. If he does make it back to the team this season...I guarantee he won't be in the BnG if he does this again.