Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers...

Backup

User Info Menu

Should the Steelers...

Seriously think about suspending, benching or releasing Big Ben? This is his third "event" in which he displays at the best exceptionally poor judgement and at worst criminal behavioral patterns. Those of you like me who have kids have to wonder if this is a guy you can point to as a role model for your kids. I know some say that athletes aren't role models but this team and this TOWN are a little diffrent than most. Anyone who was born and raised in Western Pa. or lived there long enough knows that the Steelers ARE ROLE MODELS it's not a question but a fact. We raise our sons to emulate the steelers past and present and our daughters to cheer for them. I cannot imagine telling my daughters to cheer for this kind of guy can you?

Anyone who at his age ( and with his money ) is still stuck in a frat boy mentality is IMO a [url=http://www.schoolpsychologistfiles.com/slowLearnerFaq.html]"slow learner"[/url].

I know this may be crazy, but if there is enough evidence for charges and an inditment I would like to see at a minimum a suspension FROM THE STEELERS and wouldn't be that adverse to cutting him outright...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Should the Steelers...

Quote Originally Posted by _SteeL_CurtaiN_
    Seriously think about suspending, benching or releasing Big Ben? This is his third "event" in which he displays at the best exceptionally poor judgement and at worst criminal behavioral patterns. Those of you like me who have kids have to wonder if this is a guy you can point to as a role model for your kids. I know some say that athletes aren't role models but this team and this TOWN are a little diffrent than most. Anyone who was born and raised in Western Pa. or lived there long enough knows that the Steelers ARE ROLE MODELS it's not a question but a fact. We raise our sons to emulate the steelers past and present and our daughters to cheer for them. I cannot imagine telling my daughters to cheer for this kind of guy can you?

Anyone who at his age ( and with his money ) is still stuck in a frat boy mentality is IMO a [url=http://www.schoolpsychologistfiles.com/slowLearnerFaq.html]"slow learner"[/url].

I know this may be crazy, but if there is enough evidence for charges and an inditment I would like to see at a minimum a suspension FROM THE STEELERS and wouldn't be that adverse to cutting him outright...
    Everyone's trying to lump his motorcycle accident in with this. I don't think you can. Was it stupid and showed bad judgement? Sure. Is it illegal in any way? No. So cast that aside.

I think it really depends on the outcome of either or both of the situations. If he's exonerated on both, then no... don't suspend him. But implement a zero tolerance policy with him. Lay it all out in a contract or something. Any peep about ANYTHING, and you're gone. Salary cap be damned. (if there even is one at that point).

If he's charged, it's a whole new game. The team and the league will respond, and I would imagine pretty drastically.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII

Everyone's trying to lump his motorcycle accident in with this. I don't think you can. Was it stupid and showed bad judgement? Sure. Is it illegal in any way? No. So cast that aside.

I think the motorcycle accident is part of the behavioural pattern that feeds into all this, plus it was bad PR for the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The motorcycle accident was just that, an accident. He wasn't legally required to wear a helmet. Is it stupid to ride without one? Sure, but it his choice. These other two incidents could be a case where he is the victim due to his fame alone. None of us know the truth. I think way too many people are being way too judgmental on a 28 year old single man with 100 mil in the bank. Put yourself in his shoes in a day. If he is found to be guilty of wrongdoing, then fine, pass all the judgment you like. And yes, I am a father of two girls, and I would protect them to all ends. But we don't know the facts about these sexual allegations.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the motorcycle accident is part of the behavioural pattern that feeds into all this, plus it was bad PR for the Steelers.
    I just don't see it as apples to apples. First off that happened when he was a lot younger. It's also not illegal in any way, right? There was no helmet law at the time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am in the group that thinks what he did was stupid and I am upset with him for giving the TEAM a black eye, the Steelers pride themselves in having good character, but recently I have been upset by the behavior of a few Steelers...that being said...

Don't have your kids look at Steeler players as role models, I loved the Steelers as much as anyone when I was a kid, I knew all of their numbers, colleges attended and all their stats, but they were NOT my role models. My mom and dad were my role models, I lived with them, I saw them work every day, never complain and do what was best for me. Parents should be role models not athletes that they see on t.v. because it is starting to seem that alot of the athletes are @$$holes anyway, so why would you want your kids to look at them as a hero..

Starter

User Info Menu

No. Hope that helps.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don't see it as apples to apples. First off that happened when he was a lot younger. It's also not illegal in any way, right? There was no helmet law at the time.
    It's not about breaking laws.. it's about choices that keep putting him in harms way.

Did he have a valid bike license? I don't think so... Did he have a helmet on? He says he "meant to wear it" but he forgot.

He had sex with a hotel employee...
    what kind of woman has sex with a patron at her job? The same kind who work in Colorado and accuse Kobe...

With a civil trial still open Ben has sexual contact with a 20 year old in a public bathroom and she slips and hits her head after it happens....

who can defend these decisions by Ben? I can't and I won't. He can throw the hell out of a football but off the field he is M U D.

We used to debate Ben's stubborn behavior on the field... I'm not surprised he is stubborn off the field but I never thought he would be this bad. He is the white PacMan Jones, very very stupid...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    No. Hope that helps.

put me down for a "No" also...

how about we wait for the facts to come out before we make any rash decisions?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Without evidence that he broke the law, no suspension or any other punishement should be handed to him. Exercising poor judgement isn't against the law. To think that he should be punished for displaying poor judgement is a pretty self righteous attitude to have.