Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Should the Steelers...

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by _SteeL_CurtaiN_
    Seriously think about suspending, benching or releasing Big Ben? This is his third "event" in which he displays at the best exceptionally poor judgement and at worst criminal behavioral patterns. Those of you like me who have kids have to wonder if this is a guy you can point to as a role model for your kids. I know some say that athletes aren't role models but this team and this TOWN are a little diffrent than most. Anyone who was born and raised in Western Pa. or lived there long enough knows that the Steelers ARE ROLE MODELS it's not a question but a fact. We raise our sons to emulate the steelers past and present and our daughters to cheer for them. I cannot imagine telling my daughters to cheer for this kind of guy can you?

Anyone who at his age ( and with his money ) is still stuck in a frat boy mentality is IMO a [url=http://www.schoolpsychologistfiles.com/slowLearnerFaq.html]"slow learner"[/url].

I know this may be crazy, but if there is enough evidence for charges and an inditment I would like to see at a minimum a suspension FROM THE STEELERS and wouldn't be that adverse to cutting him outright...
    Everyone's trying to lump his motorcycle accident in with this. I don't think you can. Was it stupid and showed bad judgement? Sure. Is it illegal in any way? No. So cast that aside.

I think it really depends on the outcome of either or both of the situations. If he's exonerated on both, then no... don't suspend him. But implement a zero tolerance policy with him. Lay it all out in a contract or something. Any peep about ANYTHING, and you're gone. Salary cap be damned. (if there even is one at that point).

If he's charged, it's a whole new game. The team and the league will respond, and I would imagine pretty drastically.
    I was going to type my own response, but you said everything that I was going to type. Thanks and ditto.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Everyone's trying to lump his motorcycle accident in with this. I don't think you can. Was it stupid and showed bad judgement? Sure. Is it illegal in any way? No. So cast that aside.

I think the motorcycle accident is part of the behavioural pattern that feeds into all this, plus it was bad PR for the Steelers.
    I just don't see it as apples to apples. First off that happened when he was a lot younger. It's also not illegal in any way, right? There was no helmet law at the time.
    It's not about breaking laws.. it's about choices that keep putting him in harms way.

Did he have a valid bike license? I don't think so... Did he have a helmet on? He says he "meant to wear it" but he forgot.

He had sex with a hotel employee...
    what kind of woman has sex with a patron at her job? The same kind who work in Colorado and accuse Kobe...

With a civil trial still open Ben has sexual contact with a 20 year old in a public bathroom and she slips and hits her head after it happens....

who can defend these decisions by Ben? I can't and I won't. He can throw the hell out of a football but off the field he is M U D.

We used to debate Ben's stubborn behavior on the field... I'm not surprised he is stubborn off the field but I never thought he would be this bad. He is the white PacMan Jones, very very stupid...
    Feltdizz, 100%

Legend

User Info Menu

I just can't believe what I am reading. Releasing Ben? Unless the man is convicted of a sexual crime he will remain with this team.

First, McNulty is a nut. She was bragging how she wanted to have Ben's baby with friends. There was no evidence of rape or assault. She went to his room of her own free will and had sex with him. She then cried rape...no physical evidence...no charges...just a liar. How is that bad judgement?

Second, the motorcycle. I call em suicycles for a reason. Realize this as well. I grew up on bikes. I rode since I was 7. Do you see me on one now? No. Why? Because I have kids. But, Ben is a grown man without kids. If he dies or injures himself he can't play football. He doesn't leave kids and a wife behind. Lets keep that in perspective. Getting out of bed in the morning is a calculated risk. Driving a car is a calculated risk. Driving a small car vs a large one is higher risk. Who does the risk calculations...and why does this person own Ben? He is a grown man...made a decision to ride...wrecked and now no longer rides. As for not having a valid license to ride...yeah stupid.

This case...I will agree he let his hormones take over. It was a bad decision to go into a restroom with this girl. But, that decision isn't worth cutting Ben over unless there was a crime committed.

If no crime was committed the Steelers need to have a long sit down with Ben. He will need to know...that any future nonsense will result with him being traded. Let him make the decision from there.

And PS: If Ben is your kids role model...Ben's escapades are the least of your worries. You should be your kids role model.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I just can't believe what I am reading. Releasing Ben? Unless the man is convicted of a sexual crime he will remain with this team.
    I am simply opening the discussion as to the possibility I never said outright he should be released.

And PS: If Ben is your kids role model...Ben's escapades are the least of your worries. You should be your kids role model.
    Thanks for cheap shot, love it when complete strangers declare their superiority. I agree that as parents we have the power to educate our children however that does not mean they willl always listen. Not to mention the fact that kids are not robots limited to ONE SINGLE role model in their life. Our society treats athletes like gods and teachers like leftovers who do you think the kids will want to be like? To deny that these guys are role models to kids is assinine, IMO. When Kids play backyard football who do you think they are pretending to be when they drop back to pass?

Legend

User Info Menu

I am simply opening the discussion as to the possibility I never said outright he should be released.

Thanks for cheap shot, love it when complete strangers declare their superiority. I agree that as parents we have the power to educate our children however that does not mean they willl always listen. Not to mention the fact that kids are not robots limited to ONE SINGLE role model in their life. Our society treats athletes like gods and teachers like leftovers who do you think the kids will want to be like? To deny that these guys are role models to kids is assinine, IMO. When Kids play backyard football who do you think they are pretending to be when they drop back to pass?
    Parents buy their kids jersey's with Ben's name on them. They get together to watch him play and if they meet him or get a sig from him they talk about how cool he is or how great of a guy he is.

It's foolish to think kids aren't asking their parents is up with Ben. I wonder how many are saying what Ben does on his own time is his own business.. just cheer for him on Sunday's...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should the Steelers get him help?...absolutely.

Should the Steelers get a veteran back-up in case things go badly for Ben? - of course.

But to ditch him for anything less than a conviction? - No way.

If Kobe can come back from what he did, if Tiger can be welcomed back after what he did, then why can't Ben?...especially if he's cleared.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Without evidence that he broke the law, no suspension or any other punishement should be handed to him. Exercising poor judgement isn't against the law. To think that he should be punished for displaying poor judgement is a pretty self righteous attitude to have.
    I think it's more practical than self-righteous. Ben isn't being fair to the organization that honored with a $100M contract. All contracts have an implied "don't be a schmuck" undertone, just the same as when you contract someone to do a project on your house, he goes out gets drunk and then doesn't show at the appointed time.

For Ben to think he can get away with just any old behavior on someone else's tab is very arrogant.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Without evidence that he broke the law, no suspension or any other punishement should be handed to him. Exercising poor judgement isn't against the law. To think that he should be punished for displaying poor judgement is a pretty self righteous attitude to have.
    , just the same as when you contract someone to do a project on your house, he goes out gets drunk and then doesn't show at the appointed time.

Well, had this happen to Ben on the night before a game then I would agree with you. If there is something in his contract that specifies that he can't have one night stands, then I will also agree with you. What happened last week is not going to affect how he plays QB in the fall -UNLESS HE IS CONVICTED OR CHARGED WITH A CRIME.

Don't get me wrong, he displayed poor judgement. But unless he is convicted of something or if he violated something in his contract, I don't think he shouldn't be penalized.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is with Steelers fans and hating the QB?

Ran Bradshaw out of town, cheered when he was laying on the ground injured.

Ran O'Donnell out of town

Started rumors about Kordell

and now a lot are condemning Ben to hell.

If the Steelers cut Ben, like some want, there will be many years of nothing for Steelers fans. Unless Ben is a serial rapist, he better never be cut.

Legend

User Info Menu

Low blow? You must have an inferiority complex because I wasn't "declaring my superiority". I was stating that children's role models need to be their parents. Parents need to emphasize that looking to sports stars as some sort of moral compass is short sighted at best. If your boy wants to throw like Ben great. But, if your kid is going to start boinkin' chicks in bathrooms because of Ben's actions then I don't know what to say. Please stop dramatizing this subject with emotional nonsense that has no place.
    Trolls are people too.