Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Starkey: Steelers' image in tatters

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Starkey: Steelers' image in tatters

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Starkey's right.

We've sanctimoniously made fun of the Ravens and the Bengals, and asserted that our Steelers stood on some kind of morally higher ground.

Now it seems that every few months, I have to explain to my young son why one of our players is in trouble with the law.

It's obvious what image Ben wants to project. That t-shirt he was wearing says it all.

If that is the image the team wants to project now, so be it. There won't be any more of their tickets or merchandise bought by this family.
    The fans are the ones that project this morality and superiority. But not all fans. I don't do that because I know it's just a matter of time before it comes back to haunt you.
    ??????
    I don't claim to be perfect, by any means. But I'm trying to raise kids...I certainly don't want my son to get the idea that it's OK to vandalize convenience store bathrooms, or
    slap women around, or commit anything that comes close to sexual assault. I will do my part to teach him right from wrong, but at the same time, I recognize the powerful influence of his sports heroes.

As for his shirt, it's just a fscking shirt.
    C'mon...it wasn't Halloween...or some kind of costume party. What you choose to wear in public makes a statement about how you want to represent yourself.

Starter

User Info Menu

Starkey's right.

We've sanctimoniously made fun of the Ravens and the Bengals, and asserted that our Steelers stood on some kind of morally higher ground.

Now it seems that every few months, I have to explain to my young son why one of our players is in trouble with the law.

It's obvious what image Ben wants to project. That t-shirt he was wearing says it all.

If that is the image the team wants to project now, so be it. There won't be any more of their tickets or merchandise bought by this family.
    The fans are the ones that project this morality and superiority. But not all fans. I don't do that because I know it's just a matter of time before it comes back to haunt you.
    ??????
    I don't claim to be perfect, by any means. But I'm trying to raise kids...I certainly don't want my son to get the idea that it's OK to vandalize convenience store bathrooms, or
    slap women around, or commit anything that comes close to sexual assault. I will do my part to teach him right from wrong, but at the same time, I recognize the powerful influence of his sports heroes.

As for his shirt, it's just a fscking shirt.
    C'mon...it wasn't Halloween...or some kind of costume party. What you choose to wear in public makes a statement about how you want to represent yourself.
    Tell your kid that people aren't perfect.

And it's just a fscking shirt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I personally would think a 100 million dollar man would wear something a bit nicer than a t-shirt and ball cap out for his birthday.

But really, why does it matter what picture was on the shirt? It wasn't depicting nudity or flashing curse words.

Would people care if it had a picture of the loch ness monster on it? I doubt it. Neither image is real, so get over it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    I personally would think a 100 million dollar man would wear something a bit nicer than a t-shirt and ball cap out for his birthday.

But really, why does it matter what picture was on the shirt? It wasn't depicting nudity or flashing curse words.

Would people care if it had a picture of the loch ness monster on it? I doubt it. Neither image is real, so get over it.
    The Loch Ness Monster isn't associated with evil like the devil is.

If the "100 million dollar man" finds himself out of a job with the Steelers pretty soon, HE'S the one who's going to have to "get over it." And I have an idea many of you Steelers fans will be having to "get over it", too.