Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could Rutgers stud OT Anthony Davis now fall to us at #18?

Legend

User Info Menu

could Rutgers stud OT Anthony Davis now fall to us at #18?

early mock drafts showed Anthony Davis as a Top-10 pick and one of the five stud OTs available in the first round. but would we even want to consider Davis even if he is available at #18 after this type of behavior? doesn't seem like a Steelers kinda guy.

Anthony Davis has odd day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 10, 2010

NFL offensive line coaches showed up to Rutgers' Pro Day Wednesday, hoping to watch tackle Anthony Davis work out.

According to Mike Mayock on NFL Network, Davis didn't show up because of a hamstring injury that wasn't fully communicated to teams. Feeling sick, Davis wasn't even at the school. (Hmm.)

Mayock reports that coaches then needed to call Davis to come in to meet them. When he arrived, he wouldn't weigh in. (Hmm.)

Davis is a first-round pick, but there have been some concerns raised previously about his weight fluctuations and maturity. Wednesday's adventures can't help his case.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: could Rutgers stud OT Anthony Davis now fall to us at #18?

I think he is going to fall WAY past #18. He had a rep as a lazy player loaded with talent, but given his combine and pro day, he may not even make the 1st round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah I will pass.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If more than one highly rated player falls to the Steelers they will do as they always do and select BPA based on their warroom board. I would prefer them not to take an offensive lineman, but if he's highest rated he'll be the choice. It's how the Steelers roll...

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    4.119 -
    4.120 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Yeah I will pass.

me too, there is no way the Steelers will have him on their draft board as BPA if he has a poor work ethic.

Former Rutgers tackle Anthony Davis a no-show during pro day drills

By Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger
    March 10, 2010, 7:18PM

Anthony Davis' draft stock -- once brimming with top 10 possibilities -- has fallen to mid-first round status since declaring for the draft after his junior year.

Anyone expecting Anthony Davis to showcase his considerable talents at Rutgers' annual pro day on Wednesday wound up being disappointed. But there's a difference between disappointing people and ticking off NFL scouts -- especially when those scouts will help determine where you go in next month's draft.

Little wonder that Sunny Shah, the offensive tackle's agent, went into quick damage control mode, making himself available to the media well after Davis had bolted without participating in a single drill in the Bubble on campus.

Davis, a projected first-round pick, met with teams in the morning and then left before drills started because he wasn't feeling well and had tweaked his hamstring, Shah said.
    "He was here in the morning. He met with a number of teams that were interested in him, and the fact that he wasn't going to be working out and he wasn't feeling well is why he left," said Shah. "We will be setting up for more teams that want to work him out some more."

Maybe that's all there was to the 6-5, 323-pound Davis pulling a disappearing act. But it's probably no coincidence that the former Rutgers standout has seen his draft stock -- once brimming with top 10 possibilities -- fall to mid-first round status since declaring for the draft after his junior year. Little things add up, and Davis has been guilty of a lot of little things throughout his career.

"He ticked off a lot of NFL people today," said one scout, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly about draft prospects. "I don't know what his agent was thinking. People came here specifically to see him and he wasn't here. They didn't even send out a memo telling us he wouldn't be doing any drills. Apparently, they decided (Tuesday) night and that was it.

"It definitely isn't going to help him."

Davis, who twice reported to preseason camp at Rutgers overweight and was suspended for one game for violating team rules, was panned in a review of his NFL Combine showing by Pro Football Weekly, which assessed his performance in Indianapolis this way:

"Known to abhor the weight room at Rutgers and rely far too much on his natural ability, Davis showed up at the Combine looking sloppy-bodied and overweight. At 323 pounds, he clocked above 5.4 in the 40 on some watches and managed only 21 reps of 225 pounds, the fewest of any of the top four tackles who grade out the highest in the draft on tape. Known for consistently being late and not being accountable in college, Davis demonstrated his immaturity during interviews."

He had a chance to make some amends before 35 scouts representing 27 NFL teams on Wednesday, but failed to do so. That's in stark contrast to cornerback and former teammate Devin McCourty, another first-round prospect. McCourty also performed at the NFL Combine, then not only showed up at Rutgers' pro day but also participated in position drills.

Not coincidentally, McCourty's stock is soaring.

Shah, who also represents Plainfield native Eugene Monroe, his former college roommate, called Davis' hamstring problem "nothing."

"He wasn't going to work out anyway. He had done everything at the Combine," said Shah. "It seems there are a lot of rumors being spread about his hamstring. There's nothing wrong with it at all. He tweaked it, and rather than push it get him hurt we decided to rest him a couple of days."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldnt take him in the 7th round. I just dont want to see a guy like that on our team.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    If more than one highly rated player falls to the Steelers they will do as they always do and select BPA based on their warroom board. I would prefer them not to take an offensive lineman, but if he's highest rated he'll be the choice. It's how the Steelers roll...

Pappy
    I agree. All of us 'bloggers' are desperately hoping for a certain position in the first round, but i don't think the Steelers FO views it the same way. They are very good at selecting the highest rated player left on the board. That's why they have such a good track record in the first round.

Starter

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I agree. All of us 'bloggers' are desperately hoping for a certain position in the first round, but i don't think the Steelers FO views it the same way. They are very good at selecting the highest rated player left on the board. That's why they have such a good track record in the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler

Pappy
    Thank God the Front Office doesn't become as "position fixated" as fans. This story about Davis is why I never want to draft offensive line in Round 1. Too much of a boom or bust factor with big "fatties." Round 1 should be for impact players. That is not OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Yeah I will pass.
    Me too.

By the way Shawn I love your new mock draft. Seems familiar?? Nice to see you come around some...backing off of Earl Thomas thing. :P

Now if you can only change your 3rd round pick you might really have something. We need a bruising-in between the tackles back like we need another Ben incident.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash