Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could star ILB Rolando McClain fall to us at #18 after all?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: could star ILB Rolando McClain fall to us at #18 after all?

There have been several athletes who have been able to perform at a high level while dealing with Chron's disease:

Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard

former Hartford Whalers RW Kevin Dineen

former Calgary Flames RW Theo Fleury (who did struggle with drug & alcohol abuse, but that may have more to do with him being sexually molested by a junior hockey coach)

Ironman triathlete Jonathan Caron

Professional wrestler George "The Animal" Steele (I'd imagine that eating turnbuckles might have resulted in inflammation of one's digestive tract)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    I know someone who struggles with Chron's disease. Here is the problem that can arise with this disease. It usually requires of a lot pain killers....and pain killers can often result in an addiction. I've seen it first hand. Add in the rigors of playing football ( and the physical pain that comes with it), and I have to admit......this does concern me.

Yes I know he has been able to manage this and play football for some time...but a drug addiction is......CUNNING, BAFFLING, AND POWERFUL.
    Yes, there are certainly a lot of unknowns with the disease. A flare up, which is very debilitating, can happen at any time and the individual could be very ill for days or weeks until is under control again. Of course, some people can go for several years between flare ups. You just can't predict it and that is the really bad part, aside from the intense pain, of the disease.

So, from a football perspective, if Rolando is drafted by the Steelers, they might have to plan to be without him for a few games here and there. No player's future is certain, but with Rolando, his occasional absence is really something that has to be factored into the selection.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I made this statement before....

I would take Spoon over McClain even if he didn't have this disease.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    There have been several athletes who have been able to perform at a high level while dealing with Chron's disease:

former Calgary Flames RW Theo Fleury (who did struggle with drug & alcohol abuse, but that may have more to do with him being sexually molested by a junior hockey coach)

Professional wrestler George "The Animal" Steele (I'd imagine that eating turnbuckles might have resulted in inflammation of one's digestive tract)
    RB, you MUST be old if you remember George "The Animal" Steele. He had a thicker coat of hair on his back and chest than a grizzly bear. Yes, I think the turnbuckles were probably not on his diet list. What a crazy character he was!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

RB, you MUST be old if you remember George "The Animal" Steele. He had a thicker coat of hair on his back and chest than a grizzly bear. Yes, I think the turnbuckles were probably not on his diet list. What a crazy character he was!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

there's an edmonton oiler who has the disease too.

a commercial runs on the NHL network for it

IIRC pisani

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    there's an edmonton oiler who has the disease too.

a commercial runs on the NHL network for it

IIRC pisani
    Fernando Pisani has ulcerative colitis, which is another form of inflammatory bowel disease. It is similar to Crohn's disease.

Legend

User Info Menu

u right

good catch

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If so - great! Then dangle him to other teams who want him & get some extra picks. Spoon, Williams or Odrick are the choices...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I made this statement before....

I would take Spoon over McClain even if he didn't have this disease.