Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

personally, i wouldn't give my accuser one red penny if i was innocent, which i do believe Ben is.

and yes, Florio is a scumbag.

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

by Mike Florio
    Wednesday, Mar. 10, 2010

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is under scrutiny over an alleged sexual assault that took place in Milledgeville, Ga.

After former Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was sued by the man who claimed Harrison shot him in Philadelphia nearly two years ago, I gave Harrison some free advice, for which he surely got his money's worth.

Settle the case.

Now that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger faces new sexual assault charges in Georgia, I'll give him some free advice, too.

Settle the case.

During a Monday press conference, authorities in Milledgeville acknowledged that the woman accusing Roethlisberger of sexual assault has hired a lawyer. This means that, at some point, she'll sue the two-time Super Bowl-winning signal-caller.

So the best approach would be for Roethlisberger's lawyers to commence
    a dialogue with the alleged victim's lawyer and settle the case -- now. Surely, there's a number north of $100,000 and south of $1 million that she'd take to waive any civil claims and drop her charges. Like Kobe Bryant's accuser nearly seven years ago, nothing takes the steam out of a criminal prosecution faster than a civil settlement.

The settlement needs to happen soon, before a decision is made to charge Roethlisberger with sexual assault. With a completely confidential settlement that entails an agreement to drop the charges, everyone can move on and Roethslisberger can continue his career without having to deal with a civil trial like the one he faces in Nevada, or a criminal trial that could, in theory, put him in jail.

If or when formal charges are filed, it could be too late to salvage Roethlisberger's reputation, and possibly his career. The league and/or the Steelers would be forced to take some type of action in the wake of an indictment, possibly by suspending Roethlisberger until the case is resolved, just as the NFL did when Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted in 2007 on federal conspiracy charges relating to dogfighting and gambling.

Speaking of Vick, his ordeal would have been much less serious if he'd found a way quickly and cleanly to accept responsibility and move forward. The difference, of course, is Vick couldn't have entered into a civil settlement with his victims; he would have been required to work out a deal with prosecutors regarding potential criminal charges. Roethlisberger has the opportunity to placate his victim with a significant-yet-secret payment of cash, and to avoid any further legal jeopardy.

To be sure, any resolution of the charges, no matter how confidential, would trigger rumors and/or reports that Big Ben wrote a really big check. But the early moves Roethlisberger has made show he's not necessarily worried about good public relations this time around. Hiring the lawyer who represented Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis 10 years ago on murder charges, for example, invited suspicion that Roethslisberger has opted to try to buy his way out of a problem he created. Given the choice between his image and his liberty, Ben wisely is erring on the side of advancing the interests of the latter.

So instead of buying a big-time lawyer, why not buy his way out of the problem more directly? Guilty or innocent, the only way to obtain certainty before charges are filed is to dispense justice via the bank account.

In response to the civil claim of sexual assault made last July in Nevada, a full year after the alleged incident occurred, anger, stridence, and defiance were understandable reactions. In response to criminal charges made on the very evening that the latest incident supposedly happened, Roethlisberger needs to tread more lightly. He faces very real consequences, and instead of fighting tooth and nail, the best approach might be to offer up some dollars and cents.

It could be the only way Roethlisberger can quickly and decisively turn the page on this latest ugly chapter in his life.

Mike Florio writes and edits ProFootballTalk.com and is a regular contributor to Sporting News. Check out PFT for up-to-the minute NFL news.

Hall of Famer

Re: Ben Roethlisberger should settle with his new accuser

You never know what will happen with a jury. Especially a small-town, southern jury looking at a case of one of their own vs. a rich yankee.

If I were him, I would settle and be done with it.

He would spend more in legal fees than the settlement anyway.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

Look at Kobe... all is forgiven in the sports and media world.

I know people say fight it if you are innocent but Florio has a point. The McNutty case felt like it was over amd done and she was a nut... Now the case is reborn and with the newspapers in such bad shape they will do anything and print anything to sell a paper.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

No way I'd do that. Reputation is way more important than any legal hassles.

Wouldn't writing a big ol' check just be an invitation for more money-grubbing gold diggers to target him in the future?

The part about the lawyers he hired is stupid. He hired them because they are the best lawyers in Georgia, and he has the resources to be able to afford that. Should Ben take a court-appointed public defender instead? Dumb.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Wouldn't writing a big ol' check just be an invitation for more money-grubbing gold diggers to target him in the future?

The part about the lawyers he hired is stupid. He hired them because they are the best lawyers in Georgia, and he has the resources to be able to afford that. Should Ben take a court-appointed public defender instead? Dumb.
    Especially if he is innocent.

Here is my take. If you are innocent, but there are bad facts, you want to settle the case. Suppose, hypothetically, that there was intercourse in the bathroom. If it turns into a he-said-she-said, things could get very tricky.

Juries are incredibly unpredictable. They often reach verdicts based on emotion, and not facts. A southern belle will make a sympathetic plaintiff/criminal complainant. Settlement brings with it cost certainty, and also avoids legal fees. Ben is now paying lawyers in both cases. High profile guys like he has don't come cheaply. In both cases could easily rack up legal bills into the six figures before even going to trial. Trial could easily run $250k, depending on the length.

So while I understand the instinct to defend your innocence to the death, in some cases, pragmatism rules over principle.

Legend

His rep is already shot Ruthless. The first case brought out the gold diggers. There will always be gold diggers.

Why did Bettis' case disappear? Money...

The longer this plays out the longer we hear and see the headlines... If this is open when camp starts forget it. We could sign Bradshaw, Tebow and Swann and no one would care. It will be Ben Ben and Ben in the headlines

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Here is my take. If you are innocent, but there are bad facts, you want to settle the case. Suppose, hypothetically, that there was intercourse in the bathroom. If it turns into a he-said-she-said, things could get very tricky.

Juries are incredibly unpredictable. They often reach verdicts based on emotion, and not facts. A southern belle will make a sympathetic plaintiff/criminal complainant. Settlement brings with it cost uncertainty, and also avoids legal fees. Ben is now paying lawyers in both cases. High profile guys like he has don't come cheaply. In both cases could easily rack up legal bills into the six figures before even going to trial. Trial could easily run $250k, depending on the length.

So while I understand the instinct to defend your innocence to the death, in some cases, pragmatism rules over principle.
    Yeah, but if he takes his chances with a jury and wins he should counter-sue for lifetime indentured servitude. :P

Starter

I agree that a settlement implies guilt- but I think if Ben lets this play out.

And DNA is taken, it would seem almost certain that charges would be filed.

(any attorneys our law enforcement people- please jump in here to correct.)

My point is- if DNA is taken, I don't know that having the charges dropped is an option anymore- because at that point, I believe, it is in the hands of the local DA.

Once in a trial- who knows how this would go.

Plus- I wouldn't be at all surprised - if charges are filed- Ben will be suspended by the team, possibly the league, until the outcome.

Also, it would seem certain that the accuser has hired an attorney for the possible civil suit to follow- and ostensibly, to negotiate any settlement prior.

Ben is in a no win situation here- barring the absence of actual evidence (dna) and the local legal community deciding to not file charges.

If he knows that an event took place- and fluids were exchanged- he's gonna settle this. IMO.

I agree. Absolutely asinine "analysis" from Florio.

In a high profile case like this, you want somebody who knows how to handle the media. Ben's lawyers have experience with that from representing Ray Lewis. You also want somebody local, especially in the south. Ben could hire a big time attorney from the northeast, or even somebody from da 'burgh, but it won't play well in Georgia.