Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramblin Jim's 2010 Mock Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ramblin Jim's 2010 Mock Draft

I'm tired of thinking about Big Ben and some 20 year old girl and Santonio's possible failed drug test.

My mock assumes that Ben and Santonio are totally innocent and that we don't do any wheeling and dealing in the draft.

Some of the glaring weaknesses in this are the fact that I didn't pick up great secondary people and worked on the lines of scrimmage, also didn't pick up a blue chip O-line prospect. But I figured with some of the guys in this draft we could help our front 7 tremendously and work on other things later on. Hopefully one of the two corners we drafted last year will be an upgrade over Willie Gay and we can move Gay back to Corner.

1.) Jared Odrick, DT - Penn State: Odrick on one side and Ziggy on the other could give us two stud defensive ends for a decade. For the next year or so these guys can rotate and learn from two of the best 3/4 DE's in the business Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel.

2.) Brandon Spikes, ILB - Florida: He may not fall to us as I saw one or two with him going at the beginning of the second round. This kid is big and strong, solid against the run and can take Foote's old spot, sliding Timmons over to Farriors in another year. Timmons will have the speed and Spikes will be our big boy at the ILB position.

3.) Torrell Troup, DT - Central Florida: One draft site I saw had this dude in the second round, we'll see. But he has the size to back up Casey for a couple of years and rotate in with Ziggy and Jared. These three guys, if they were to all work out would give us a beast of a front seven for years to come (assuming we re-sign and Woodley).

4.) Jamar Chaney, ILB - Mississippi State: This may look to be over kill but Chaney being a big strong dude will help solidify the front seven and can be worked into a rotation to keep the baddest front 7 in football fresh.

5a) Eric Olsen, C/OG - Notre Dame: Draft boards have this kid from 3rd round to 6th round. I like him at our 5a spot. Big strong kid with a little bit of nastiness. He can come in and compete at C and OG.

5b) Arthur Moats, OLB - James Madison: Living in Washington, DC we get to see a little JMU football up here and this kid could make a good project for us at OLB. He has good size at 6'0", 246 and timed speed at 4.6 in the 40. So pretty good speed. Nice 5th round project.

5c) Chris DeGeare, OG - Wake Forrest: This kid seems to have both a guard and tackle grade. Since we already have a young O-line, this kid could come in and push some of the guys and see who wins out.

6.) LaMarcus Coker, RB - Hampton: 6th round draft picks are always a crap shoot, so why not take this burner from Hampton? He's 5'10", 200+ pounds and put up a sub 4.4 forty yard dash. I see him as our new FWP.

7.) Manase Tonga, FB - Brigham Young: We want to run the football better, let's go back to trying out the lead blocker and letting Mendy and the blazing fast kid from Hampton trail behind him. This is a big strong dude, that what is needed here.

7b) Nolan Carroll, C - Maryland: This guy broke his leg about three games in last year and didn't play. He has a screw in it now if I'm not mistaken. He looked like he could have been a player and if he played well at Maryland's pro-day (You would think the DC guy would know this but I don't) he may be worth a late round flyer. Of course, supposedly the kid has sub 4.4 speed and if that happens at his pro day, he won't fall this far, especially if he still measures about 6' 210 or so.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ramblin Jim's 2010 Mock Draft

I have no issue with your first three picks, but NO DBs????? I think that is probably a non starter to take two ILBs and no DBs. I also think you have to go RB earlier in the draft. We have NOTHING past Mendy and we need a legitimate #2 RB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't imagine that we wouldn't take a CB in this draft.

Spikes and Chaney? I don't think we need or have room for two inside backers.

I like Troup and Odrick. They are Steelers types.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I have no issue with your first three picks, but NO DBs????? I think that is probably a non starter to take two ILBs and no DBs. I also think you have to go RB earlier in the draft. We have NOTHING past Mendy and we need a legitimate #2 RB.

Maybe we pull the second inside backer and do a DB in round 4? Maybe Kevin Thomas from USC or AJ Jefferson from Fresno State? I don't think I was able to watch either of them play.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

Maybe we pull the second inside backer and do a DB in round 4? Maybe Kevin Thomas from USC or AJ Jefferson from Fresno State? I don't think I was able to watch either of them play.
    Mayock had a lot of good things to say about Jefferson during the combine. He said after watching his game tape that he was a big time sleeper and wondered why no one was talking about him. Then he proceeded to light up the combine.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

LaMarcus Coker talent wise is probably up their with CJ Spiller and Javid Best for the title of Best running back in the draft. He's dropping that low due to his baggage like Bernard Scott last season. Coker is a hellva a running back...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    LaMarcus Coker talent wise is probably up their with CJ Spiller and Javid Best for the title of Best running back in the draft. He's dropping that low due to his baggage like Bernard Scott last season. Coker is a hellva a running back...
    With what is going on with Ben I don't see this team doing "baggage"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    With what is going on with Ben I don't see this team doing "baggage"
    I agree. He would be a legit #2 though, probably even a #1 for some teams...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is truly a well thought out mock draft that merits praise and compliments!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think our first rounder could very well be Earl Thomas, mostly because he could play anywhere in the secondary. Then again, with the guys signed and drafted last season, the brass may not feel it is necessary. Gay cannot start next season, so I hope they have a plan.