Thread: Ex QB says "ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

Ex QB says "ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

don't worry Derek, it won't happen in our lifetime...

Derek Anderson says "ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2010

Former Browns quarterback Derek Anderson, cut on Tuesday by the team, ripped Cleveland fans via an e-mail sent to Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Anderson also said that, after the 2009 season ended, he heard from no one with the organization until learning that he had been cut.

The cheering incident to which Anderson refers occurred in November 2008, when fans reacted happily to the fact that Anderson was on the ground, writhing in pain. As it turned out, he had torn a knee ligament.

The team's quarterback quandary traces to the 2007 season. Rookie Brady Quinn held out in a contract dispute, making Anderson the backup to Charlie Frye in Week One. Frye was benched during the 34-7 loss to the Steelers, and he was traded to Seattle a couple of days later. Anderson took the reins.

It was presumed that Anderson was merely holding the spot until Quinn was ready, which of course meant that Anderson experienced no pressure. Which allowed him to hold the ball a little more loosely and play well. Until the playoffs were on the line and the pressure caused him not to play well.

After the season, the Browns badly misread the situation, re-signing Anderson and making him the starter. Inevitably, he held the ball tighter and looked over his shoulder and ultimately was benched. After Quinn was injured, Anderson returned, only to suffer the knee injury that prompted fans to applaud.

So Phil Savage/Romeo Crennel regime made a huge mess in 2008. Finally, someone is trying to clean it up in a decisive way.

This time around, we can't fault Browns fans for cheering.

Legend

Re: Ex QB says "ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

Do they even deserve a football team????? Oh sorry, they don't have one.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Never use the words "Ruthless" and "Browns fans" in the same sentence again!!!

Ravens fans also cheered when Boller went down with an injury.

No matter how poorly a guy is performing it is bad taste to cheer an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Never use the words "Ruthless" and "Browns fans" in the same sentence again!!!

I regret using the words "Ruthless" and "Browns fans" in the same sentence...sorry RuthlessBurgher!

and

Derek Anderson regrets blasting Browns fans

Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson says he regrets statements he made blasting Browns fans following his release from the team on Tuesday.

A Tough Town For QBs

Derek Anderson's comments point to two things that are true in Cleveland, writes James Walker. Browns fans are frustrated. And they're often smitten with the quarterback holding the clipboard. Blog

On Tuesday, the Browns released Anderson, a former Pro Bowl quarterback, after five years in Cleveland, as the team decided to cast its lot with Brady Quinn and avoid paying Anderson a $2 million roster bonus and a $7.45 million salary in 2010.

The move came just one day after the team acquired Seneca Wallace in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks.

Following his release, Anderson lashed out at Browns fans in an e-mail to the Willoughby News-Herald.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said in the e-mail Tuesday. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured.

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

In a statement released Wednesday, Anderson said those words came out of frustration.

I wasn't taken out of context, but I was speaking out of frustration after my career with the Browns came to a close.

"I said some things to [News-Herald reporter] Jeff Schudel earlier that I regret," Anderson said. "Those of you who got to know me personally from covering the Browns over the past five years, know this was out of character for me. I wasn't taken out of context, but I was speaking out of frustration after my career with the Browns came to a close.

"I had some great times playing in Cleveland, especially during the 2007 season, and I met some great people and made many lifelong friends along the way," Anderson said Wednesday. "I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life."

According to a league source, Anderson already has two scheduled visits -- first with the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday and then the Arizona Cardinals on Friday.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I think this is the first time in recorded history that an athlete who regrets something he said to the media admitted "I wasn't taken out of context."