Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attorneys For Ben's Accuser "Urge Restraint"

Backup

User Info Menu

Attorneys For Ben's Accuser "Urge Restraint"

Let me first say that although we should wait for more facts before reaching any conclusions about what may or may not have happened last week in Georgia, I am tremendously disappointed with Ben Roethlisbeger's conduct. It is extremely immature for a 28 year old man to spend the night drinking with, and hitting on, 20 and 21 year old coeds. Taken together with other reports of Big Ben's conduct, there appears to be mounting eveidence that at the very least he may have a problem with appropriate interaction with women of his own age and perhaps alcohol. However, there was something about this whole story that bothered me and I couldn't put my finger on it until I read the new article in the Post -Gazette this evening (I apologize for not being tech savvy enough to provide a link) in which the attorneys for Ben's accuser urge the media not to disclose her identity and respect her privacy while the investigation continues.

What I realized was that it is somewhat unusual for a victim of a crime to go out and hire their own attorney. I mean, it's not like the alleged victim will end up in jail if the prosecuters decide not to file charges. On the other hand, the person being accused of a crime would be an absolute fool not to retain counsel as soon as possible, because their personal liberty is at stake. And then I realized that not only has the woman in this case hired an attorney, she apparently did so within 48 hours of the alleged incident. So I googled the law firm she retained, Parks Chesin & Walbert, and was not surprised to learn that it is a well respected Atlanta plaintiffs firm which specializes in personal injury. There is only one possible reason for the accuser to have retained this law firm (most likely on a contingency fee basis), and that is because she is looking for a payday. So, viewed in the light most favorable to the accuser, at the time she made her police report she wasn't thinking about recovering any money, but she somehow managed to almost immediately overcome her trauma and retain this law firm to get her some money. There are, of course, significantly less favorable ways to view her miraculous recovery.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Attorneys For Ben's Accuser "Urge Restraint"

I don't agree with the first paragraph but the second is dead on. Hiring a personal injury attorney 48 hours into this? Yeah that isn't shadey.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is guilty, nameless woman is innocent.

Don't you know?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Stick to Fantasy Football CHADMAN!!!!

You're on a roll mate, I love it!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

It most likely is a money grab. It usually a money grab when the guy is worth 100 mill and the girl is worth tuition and a few textbooks?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Don't you know?

Ben is better than Peyton Manning.

the nameless woman is a money-grubbin' gold digger.

hope that clears everything up...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Don't you know?

Ben is better than Peyton Manning.

the nameless woman is a money-grubbin' gold digger.

hope that clears everything up...
    That is quite possible, but there is no evidence of either.

Oh, wait- Ben does have that extra SB ring...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Stick to Fantasy Football CHADMAN!!!!

You're on a roll mate, I love it!
    Someone has to bring the other side of the argument...who better than the might of Chadman?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

First off, witnesses say he was not drinking very much -- seen either not drinking or nursing a beer.

Second, the moment this news came out, my first thought was that this is a person who knew of the Las Vegas incident and decided that she would take advantage of Ben but do it much differently. Consent to have sex but then cry rape but go about it a different way -- reporting it to the authorities, going to the hospital, having her "witnesses" ready, hiring a lawyer so she can sue for big bucks.

He was riipe for the pickin'! I hope Colon and his bodyguards can vouch for him.

Also, the fact that they say she had "no knowledge" of his lawsuit in Vegas. Yeah, right!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll play Devil's advocate.

DISCLAIMER (HINT: CHADMAN)
    I am not accusing Ben of being guilty. The argument was made that hiring a law firm that specializes in civil type suits shows that this girl is shady. This is purely on a logical "what are the various reasonable scenarios" basis.

Ok, here goes the counter-argument.

The girl, after consulting a lawyer initially, was informed that the burden of proof in criminal cases is much heavier than in civil cases (which it absolutely is). Based on what the girl told him/her and based on what he/she feels can be established in a courte of lawy, in his/her professional opinion and experience it was given a very low chance of getting a prosecution. However, in light of the fact that there is already a civil suit against Ben alleging sexual assault and/or rape, the pathway of a civil suit was deemed to have a much better chance.