Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could star ILB Rolando McClain fall to us at #18 after all?

Legend

User Info Menu

could star ILB Rolando McClain fall to us at #18 after all?

it certainly looks possible now...

GBN Report -

Tide LB discloses non-football illness…

Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after the Tide’s pro day today that has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect.

McClain also indicated that he has been dealing with a hamstring issue since October, but still ran well enough at today's on-campus workout, posting 40 times of 4.71 and 4.74.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: could star ILB Rolando McClain fall to us at #18 after all?

Not to be a broken record, but I'd take Weatherspoon over McClain.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

armed with this new information, I would agree with you.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    it certainly looks possible now...

GBN Report -

Tide LB discloses non-football illness…

Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after the Tide’s pro day today that has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect.

McClain also indicated that he has been dealing with a hamstring issue since October, but still ran well enough at today's on-campus workout, posting 40 times of 4.71 and 4.74.
    I am very sorry to hear that for Rolando's sake. I have a friend with Crohn's and though it is manageable, it is at times very debilitating and has long-term side effects.

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree. If we didn't already have Timmons, then maybe. But I still see Spoon as being too similar to Timmons. McClain seems more like a Levon Kirkland type (taller and not as heavy as Levon, but still). Harrison, McClain, Timmons, and Woodley would be on par with Lloyd, Kirkland, Brown, and Greene.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I disagree. If we didn't already have Timmons, then maybe. But I still see Spoon as being too similar to Timmons. McClain seems more like a Levon Kirkland type (taller and not as heavy as Levon, but still). Harrison, McClain, Timmons, and Woodley would be on par with Lloyd, Kirkland, Brown, and Greene.

all things being equal i would agree with you. however, this revelation that McClain has Crohn's disease tips the scales in favor of Weatherspoon in my opinion.

McClain reveals he has Crohn's Disease

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 10, 2010

Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain's Pro Day got off to a fine start with an expected time in the forty.

He didn't finish his drills, however, after getting ill. After the workout, he disclosed he has fought Crohn's Disease since his freshman year in high school. It's treated through medication.

We're amazed this information wasn't out already, but it clearly hasn't prevented McClain from producing. David Garrard was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease during his career and it hasn't slowed him down.

Still, we wonder if this will cause teams to look at McClain any differently - positively or negatively. Perhaps the biggest knock on McClain is his inconsistent motor and effort.

Maybe his Crohn's plays into that, maybe it doesn't. It's just one more piece to the puzzle for teams to figure out by April's draft.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

all things being equal i would agree with you. however, this revelation that McClain has Crohn's disease tips the scales in favor of Weatherspoon in my opinion.

Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain's Pro Day got off to a fine start with an expected time in the forty.

He didn't finish his drills, however, after getting ill. After the workout, he disclosed he has fought Crohn's Disease since his freshman year in high school. It's treated through medication.

We're amazed this information wasn't out already, but it clearly hasn't prevented McClain from producing. David Garrard was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease during his career and it hasn't slowed him down.

Still, we wonder if this will cause teams to look at McClain any differently - positively or negatively. Perhaps the biggest knock on McClain is his inconsistent motor and effort.

Maybe his Crohn's plays into that, maybe it doesn't. It's just one more piece to the puzzle for teams to figure out by April's draft.
    The fact that he's had it since freshman year in high school shows that he was able to play, and play well, with it all throughout high school and college. I believe one of the issues with Crohn's is weight loss, but Rolando has been playing at 258 lbs., which is roughly 20 pounds more than Weatherspoon's playing weight. I don't see it as a major issue (other than it possibly helping him fall to us at #18, just like Haden's poor 40 times are not a major concern to me, but rather may help us by allowing him to potentially drop to us).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The fact that he's had it since freshman year in high school shows that he was able to play, and play well, with it all throughout high school and college. I believe one of the issues with Crohn's is weight loss, but Rolando has been playing at 258 lbs., which is roughly 20 pounds more than Weatherspoon's playing weight. I don't see it as a major issue (other than it possibly helping him fall to us at #18, just like Haden's poor 40 times are not a major concern to me, but rather may help us by allowing him to potentially drop to us).
    From a strictly business side of things and leaving the human perspective out of it, I would be very hesitant to draft him unless the Steeler doctors can go over his medical records and are assured that it can be managed. I am not a medical person, but it seems that it could cause many more problems in the short term than a disease like diabetes might. They both seem to be devastating diseases, and like I said, I am very sorry for Rolando.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is an excellent point. If Timmons has the mental capacity to take over for Farrior, we need to begin that transition now.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know someone who struggles with Chron's disease. Here is the problem that can arise with this disease. It usually requires of a lot pain killers....and pain killers can often result in an addiction. I've seen it first hand. Add in the rigors of playing football ( and the physical pain that comes with it), and I have to admit......this does concern me.

Yes I know he has been able to manage this and play football for some time...but a drug addiction is......CUNNING, BAFFLING, AND POWERFUL.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash