Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So.....who is next?

Legend

User Info Menu

So.....who is next?

After an unprecedented day of Steeler spending, who will be the next FA that Tomlin & Co will add to their motley collection of NFL hardmen?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: So.....who is next?

Are the Steelers really all that better off than last season after these signings? None of them change the dynamic of what they still need.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Spending Spree?

I don't know.

Clark - less than 4 mil per
    Battle- a little more than 1 mil per
    Scott- likely a small contract
    Allen - a little more than 1 mil per
    El - ?????? couldn't be more than 3 mil per (I hope)

That is only about 10 mill per (at most).

Last year we committed a lot more dollars in resigning Harrison, Keisel, Miller, Ward, etc.

I would agree that it is a lot more UFAs than we normally sign. But, most of them are depth guys/special teamers. Clark is the only starter.

Who is next? Holmes and Woodley maybe. The steelers have lots of leverage with no CBA. Holmes and Woodley can both be retained on the cheap until they have played for 6 seasons. Colon is the other option. But, I'd like to see him eliminate the mental mistakes first.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Since the Steelers showed some interest in Bodden, perhaps CB is still on their wish list. Maybe Sheppard or Buchanon at CB for insurance.

Then as someone stated, taking care of their own. Guys in their last year who figure into the long term. Holmes, Woodley, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

we can all cross the possibility of Larry Foote returning off the list, he has some unrealistic contract demands -

Larry Foote looking for contact similar to Fujita's

Tue, 09 Mar 2010

Jason La Canfora, of the NFL Network, reports unrestricted free-agent LB Larry Foote (Lions) is looking for a deal that exceeds what Cleveland Browns LB Scott Fujita received, according to a source. Fujita received a three-year deal worth $14 million with $8 million guaranteed.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Spending Spree?

I don't know.

Clark - less than 4 mil per
    Battle- a little more than 1 mil per
    Scott- likely a small contract
    Allen - a little more than 1 mil per
    El - ?????? couldn't be more than 3 mil per (I hope)

That is only about 10 mill per (at most).
    You might be taking Chadman a touch too literally..

It's fun though, to see so many new faces.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Are the Steelers really all that better off than last season after these signings? None of them change the dynamic of what they still need.
    That's exactly right it gives them depth in case of injury. Their needs are still exactly where they were prior to making these signings and I'm still hoping for Earl thomas to make it to 1.18. He provides value and versatility both things that the current Steeler management love.

The Steelers are better off in the fact that Tyrone Carter and Ryan Mundy aren't the options if Troy gets hurt. I believe El to be better than whoever was #4 last year and if something does happen with Holmes (legally) then Ward, Wallace and El still give the Steelers a nice passing game threat.

I'd like to see a real backup RB get signed then they won't be tempted if Spiller happens to fall to 1.18 (just for you Oviedo :P )

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I'd like to see a real backup RB get signed then they won't be tempted if Spiller happens to fall to 1.18 (just for you Oviedo :P )
    What about Tomlinson? Yeah, he is nowhere near what he once was, but in a secondary role, he could still contribute (and last longer). I think we want Mendenhall to be able to play a role similar to the one LaDainian played back in his prime, so who better to show him the ropes? Everyone assumes that he still wants to be a starter and get paid starter's money, but he is also hungry for a ring after getting close and falling short so many times (he is reportedly interested in Minnesota to play the old Chester Taylor role behind Adrian Peterson). If he is willing to play a backup role on a contender there, then why not here? If the Price is Right, of course...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    What about Tomlinson? Yeah, he is nowhere near what he once was, but in a secondary role, he could still contribute (and last longer). I think we want Mendenhall to be able to play a role similar to the one LaDainian played back in his prime, so who better to show him the ropes? Everyone assumes that he still wants to be a starter and get paid starter's money, but he is also hungry for a ring after getting close and falling short so many times (he is reportedly interested in Minnesota to play the old Chester Taylor role behind Adrian Peterson). If he is willing to play a backup role on a contender there, then why not here? If the Price is Right, of course...

i would have liked to have seen us sign Thomas Jones, the Chiefs were able to sign him to a two-year, $5 million contract. seems very reasonable, how much $ do you suppose LT is asking for?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    That's exactly right it gives them depth in case of injury. Their needs are still exactly where they were prior to making these signings and I'm still hoping for Earl thomas to make it to 1.18. He provides value and versatility both things that the current Steeler management love.

The Steelers are better off in the fact that Tyrone Carter and Ryan Mundy aren't the options if Troy gets hurt. I believe El to be better than whoever was #4 last year and if something does happen with Holmes (legally) then Ward, Wallace and El still give the Steelers a nice passing game threat.

Pappy
    Nice to know you are always thinking about me.

Instead of "Hail Mary's" you can start with CJ! CJ! CJ! CJ! That is what we will hear at Heinz Field after he takes back his first 50+ yard return.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"