Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post FA Splash Mock

Pro Bowler

Re: Post FA Splash Mock

I would much rather see them move up in the second round. Moving up in the first will be too expensive in that it will cost our second and third rounders most likely. Those second and third round picks are too valuable to us this year. I'd rather we trade down a few spots in the first and trade those additional picks to move up in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I think if Haden or McClain fall to 10- you could see the Steelers move up.

But- there are sure to be other teams with the same idea. Jacksonville, imo, is definitely going to trade down for more picks.

If those guys don't slide-

unless some other player they really want or see as great value at 18 slides (eg Mendenhall)

I believe they are going to trade down in the first.

I think they'll look at Odrick or Pouncey at that pick. (Hartwig is on his final year- and not the long term answer)

I think the team then uses extra picks to move up in the 2nd to get a corner. It would be great to see McCourty there- I dont think he is going to last until late 2nd though.

Hartwig is signed through 2012, but I agree with you that he's not the long-term answer. The Steelers however are reportedly very high on Doug Legursky as the center of the future.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2010 Offseason Positional Review - The Centers
    by Blitzburgh on Feb 15, 2010

Let's take a look at the team's pivot men along the offensive line - the centers.

Justin Hartwig

Age and 2009 Stats: 31 years old; 16 games (16 starts), 3 penalties, 7 sacks allowed.

Contract Status: Signed through 2012

2009 Analysis: Hartwig, like many of his teammates along the offensive line, had an up and down year in '09. Many thought Hartwig played himself out of an extension during the '08 Super Bowl, but apparently the organization was pleased enough with his first year in Pittsburgh to re-sign him last summer. Though Hartwig was probably the most consistent lineman in '08, I don't think the same can be said of him in '09.

2010 Outlook: Hartwig has started all 32 regular season games since signing with the Steelers two years ago. He'll almost surely be the team's starting center come next season pending unforeseen injury. He'll turn 32 years old during the season and probably has another couple of years playing at a similar level.

Doug Legursky

Age and 2009 Stats: 23 years old; 9 games (0 starts), 0 penalties, 0 sacks allowed

Contract Status: Signed through 2010

2009 Analysis: After spending all of the 2008 season on the practice squad, Legursky made the active roster and dressed in a number of games last season for Pittsburgh. The former Marshall standout even made a few appearances as a fullback in a 'jumbo' package along the goal goal line. Fortunately or unfortunately - depending on your point of view - Legursky has still not had an opportunity to make a start at center due to Hartwig's durability the past two seasons. Still, by all accounts it looks as if Legursky has done what he's needed to do to remain the team's number two at the center position.

2010 Outlook: With Hartwig signed through 2012, Legursky probably won't get a chance to prove his abilities to be the team's starting center until at least the 2011 season. Assuming the Steelers don't target a center in this April's draft, Legursky will though have a role to play on this team next season, including on special teams. What's fairly exciting about Legursky is that he's still only 23 years old (he'll turn 24 before the start of training camp). In another year's time, with the right amount of development under new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, Legursky could be ready to step in to a starting role in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I would much rather see them move up in the second round. Moving up in the first will be too expensive in that it will cost our second and third rounders most likely. Those second and third round picks are too valuable to us this year. I'd rather we trade down a few spots in the first and trade those additional picks to move up in the second.

Totally agree with that...first round move might be a little to steep....prob have to trade our first 3 picks to get a true diff. maker in the first.
    2015 Draft

1) P.J. Williams-CB-Florida St.
    2) Jordan Phillips-DT-Oklahoma
    3) Geneo Grissom-OLB-Oklahoma
    4) Jeff Heuerman-TE-OSU
    5)
    Clint Trickett-QB-WVU
    6) Justin Coleman-CB-Tenn
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    hot off the press
    Could you please cut and paste into the text field. Your sig isn't coming through. Thanks in advance.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

Totally agree with that...first round move might be a little to steep....prob have to trade our first 3 picks to get a true diff. maker in the first.

if we wanted to move up from #18 to #10, we would have to give up our 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

i agree with Ruthless on this one, the only player i would consider doing this for is if Eric Berry were to somehow slip to #10.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    hot off the press
    Could you please cut and paste into the text field. Your sig isn't coming through. Thanks in advance.

Trade 4/5/6 for another 3
    1)Sean Weatherspoon-LB-Miz.
    2)Devin McCourty-CB Rut.
    3)Toby Gerheart-RB-Stanford
    3)Jason Fox-OT-UM
    5c)Jeff Owens-DT-Geo
    5c)O. Schofield-OLB-Wis
    7)Brody Eldridge-TE-OU
    7c)Demarcus Granger-DE-OU
    2015 Draft

1) P.J. Williams-CB-Florida St.
    2) Jordan Phillips-DT-Oklahoma