Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Randle El a Steeler again!

Starter

Re: Randle El a Steeler again!

One thing is certain...

Gadget plays are back.

El to Wallace.

Sorry folks but ARE will never break camp on the roster unless we have a rash of injuries at the WR position. Don't get me wrong, I love ARE as an effort type player and class act but his better football days are behind him.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Sorry folks but ARE will never break camp on the roster unless we have a rash of injuries at the WR position. Don't get me wrong, I love ARE as an effort type player and class act but his better football days are behind him.
    What grass are you smoking? Are you telling me that ARE is not the 4th best receiver on this team already? He has three seasons in a row with 50 plus catches a season.

He is better than Sweed (Obviously), Battle, etc..
    Here comes the BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    What grass are you smoking? Are you telling me that ARE is not the 4th best receiver on this team already? He has three seasons in a row with 50 plus catches a season.

No grass smoking here. Battle will provide more value because of his special teams play. If Sweed shows anything in camp they will keep their 2nd round pick over ARE. Logan is much better than ARE as a returner and will keep his spot on the roster. We will problably draft a receiver in the later rounds this year and we still have Grisham on the roster.

Like I said ... I don't see Antwaan fitting in unless we get hit with injuries.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam
    I'm not sure I understand this signing. I know ARE is a good community guy & good dude in the locker room, but in terms of on-field production, I don't quite see what this signing does for us. I was a fan when he was here, but that was years ago, he's not getting any younger, & his performance in Washington wasn't anything to get excited about. I was going to say he's just an old Mike Wallace, but Wallace is a better WR than El ever was.
    Are you kidding me?? He's had three straight 50 plus reception seasons. How is that not tremendous production for a #3 or #4 WR? When have the Steelers had that? I see this as making the Steelers better. Period. They now have 4 maybe even 5 legit WR's that all can contribute. That alone makes the offense better.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mick'sTeam":1qltckqe
    I'm not sure I understand this signing. I know ARE is a good community guy & good dude in the locker room, but in terms of on-field production, I don't quite see what this signing does for us. I was a fan when he was here, but that was years ago, he's not getting any younger, & his performance in Washington wasn't anything to get excited about. I was going to say he's just an old Mike Wallace, but Wallace is a better WR than El ever was.
    Are you kidding me?? He's had three straight 50 plus reception seasons. How is that not tremendous production for a #3 or #4 WR? When have the Steelers had that? I see this as making the Steelers better. Period. They now have 4 maybe even 5 legit WR's that all can contribute. That alone makes the offense better.[/quote:1qltckqe]

In Randle El's 4 years in Washington (32-351-3, 51-728-1, 53-593-4, 50-530-0), we haven't exactly had slouches at the #3 WR with Nate Washington from 06-08 (35-624-4, 29-450-5, 40-631-3) and Mike Wallace last season (39-756-6). Over those 4 seasons, ARE has had 43 more catches than our #3 WR's, but our guys had 259 more receiving yards and 10 more TD's.

I'm willing to bet against that.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob

No grass smoking here. Battle will provide more value because of his special teams play. If Sweed shows anything in camp they will keep their 2nd round pick over ARE. Logan is much better than ARE as a returner and will keep his spot on the roster. We will problably draft a receiver in the later rounds this year and we still have Grisham on the roster.

Like I said ... I don't see Antwaan fitting in unless we get hit with injuries.

Sweed may not make it to training camp, there are rumors that the Steelers may give him his outright release soon. either way, Sweed's days with the Steelers seem numbered.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

His days as a starting WR are behind him (an argument could be made that he never should have been a starter in the first place, but who can blame him for taking the king's ransom that Danny Boy Snyder was willing to pay him...giving a career #3 WR a #1 WR's salary). He's still a quality #3 WR in this league, since he is a natural in the slot, and having him as a #4 option is borderline unfair for opponents.

I don't think I will be complaining as much about the empty backfield this year, since we'll be able to trot out Hines, Holmes, Wallace, El, and Heath (unless, of course, they do it on 3rd and short again). How does an opposing defense cover those 5 guys?

Legend

I had a feeling Sweed's days were numbered.. all the upside meant nothing since he couldn't catch easy TD's..

If we were 11-5 he may have had a shot but Wallace emerging and missing the playoffs by one game magnified his drop in the Bengal game.

ARE isn't going to stretch the field but like Wes Welker, he will cause problems for nickels and LB's.. and he is a decent PR when he isn't dancing.