Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben's attorney says no sexual assault, "completely innocent"

Re: Ben's attorney says no sexual assault, "completely innocent"

It's not law, it's media ethics. State laws have been struck down by the supreme court that criminalize naming the victim.

Something like 60 percent of sexual assaults go unreported, I think it's a good policy not to name the person.

Legend

If her name was released MSM and half of Steeler Nation would threaten her life evey hour on the hour.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steelernation77
    It's not law, it's media ethics. State laws have been struck down by the supreme court that criminalize naming the victim.

Something like 60 percent of sexual assaults go unreported, I think it's a good policy not to name the person.
    Correct. That's why even after McNutty's name was out there the PG still wouldn't publish her name...and they'd even put in something explaining why they wouldn't. I don't remember the exact phrase.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Correct. That's why even after McNutty's name was out there the PG still wouldn't publish her name...and they'd even put in something explaining why they wouldn't. I don't remember the exact phrase.
    But my point isn't that I want HER name mentioned. My point is- why is Ben's out there, if hers isn't?

He HASN'T been charged.

But his reputation is taking a battering.

In the court of public opinion, Ben is already toast.

And she is walking around accusing him without having her name drawn through the mud.

even the score- either give her name, or DON'T PUBLISH BEN'S.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend

Maybe because they want guys to think twice about assault? Not sure why but they do it all the time, photos and all, and not just for high profile guys either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

But my point isn't that I want HER name mentioned. My point is- why is Ben's out there, if hers isn't?

He HASN'T been charged.

But his reputation is taking a battering.

In the court of public opinion, Ben is already toast.

And she is walking around accusing him without having her name drawn through the mud.

even the score- either give her name, or DON'T PUBLISH BEN'S.

Well luckily the court of public opinion is not what convicts people.

Look, sexual assaults are already underreported. If every media outlet took it upon themselves to publish names in these cases the numbers would be even lower.

Ben is also a public figure and because of that he has less legal recourse in these type of situations.

I don't see a problem with the way this is being handled by the media. If Ben is innocent his reputation might take a hit but he'll be fine. It's part of being a public figure in America.

Now I'm not sure how things are handled down under, but I'm sure they're a little more lax in a country founded by rapists and criminals

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Maybe because they want guys to think twice about assault? Not sure why but they do it all the time, photos and all, and not just for high profile guys either.
    Ben, if found not guilty- or not even charged- should get his lawyer & SUE every publication that ran his name for SLANDER.

If it ends up he was innocent of this, his reputation has still copped a massive battering- one that will likely last for the remainder of his career, if not his life.

That is simply not fair.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Ben, if found not guilty- or not even charged- should get his lawyer & SUE every publication that ran his name for SLANDER.

If it ends up he was innocent of this, his reputation has still copped a massive battering- one that will likely last for the remainder of his career, if not his life.

That is simply not fair.
    First of all, it would be libel. Secondly, he would lose every lawsuit, because it is established fact that he is being investigated, which is what is being reported.

Legend

And, if you don't believe me- let's take a look at something on this board...

There are about 5 or 6 threads dedicated to Ben 'in trouble', 'doing the wrong thing', 'being a dumb-dumb', 'letting the organisation down' etc.

These are ALL based on one, unnamed woman's accusation. No police charges. No evidence.

There is 1, yes 1, thread that states Ben is innocent. This one. And even here, most are still skeptical. If we want to play fair, if Ben ever wants to be treated fair- we need to treat this lawyers 'Ben is completely innocent' as gospel, the way we all swallowed 'Ben is a sex offender' so easily.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

That is simply not fair.
    First of all, it would be libel. Secondly, he would lose every lawsuit, because it is established fact that he is being investigated, which is what is being reported.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so here goes:

I think some would be slander (telling the falsehood about someone by saying it), not just libel (doing it by writing it). The only reason I say that is because I have heard people on TV and radio, not just read it.

And, he might win some of them - ESPN and Fox news said something about his being accused of rape, which isn't the case here. Unless maybe they were talking about the Nevada case ... was that rape?

Philly Esq., where are you?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!