Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83

Thread: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

  1. #11
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,092

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Going out to a bar with bodyguards and friends isn't poor judgment.


    riding a motorcycle without a helmet on is.
    Have you ever lived in a city with an NFL team? I've lived in a few of them. In the states that have helmet laws the players wear them. In the states where there are no helmet laws they usually don't.

    if one is reckless and uses poor judgment by not wearing a condom with a partner they don't know that well, then that individual has a higher probability of getting a sexual disease than the person who uses good judgment and wears a condom.

    a person not wearing a helmet while operating a vehicle at high speeds that offers no protection (like a motorcycle) is using poor judgment, law or no law.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,067

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    if one is reckless and uses poor judgment by not wearing a condom with a partner they don't know that well, then that individual has a higher probability of getting a sexual disease than the person who uses good judgment and wears a condom.

    a person not wearing a helmet while operating a vehicle at high speeds that offers no protection (like a motorcycle) is using poor judgment, law or no law.
    That example is misleading. In the first example (the condom) causing harm to someone else is involved. In the second, I don't believe it is.

    Much like mandatory seat belt law, helmet laws are a bunch of bull****. If the only person you can harm is yourself than it should be your decision whether or not to wear one, period. I'm not getting into how insurance companies might play a part in this crap either.

    Point being, you might think it's poor judgment to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. That's your right, so when you ride a motorcycle wear a helmet. Other people don't have to acquiesce to your opinion of what they should do for their own safety.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  3. #13
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,092

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    if one is reckless and uses poor judgment by not wearing a condom with a partner they don't know that well, then that individual has a higher probability of getting a sexual disease than the person who uses good judgment and wears a condom.

    a person not wearing a helmet while operating a vehicle at high speeds that offers no protection (like a motorcycle) is using poor judgment, law or no law.
    That example is misleading. In the first example (the condom) causing harm to someone else is involved. In the second, I don't believe it is.

    Much like mandatory seat belt law, helmet laws are a bunch of bad word. If the only person you can harm is yourself than it should be your decision whether or not to wear one, period. I'm not getting into how insurance companies might play a part in this crap either.

    Point being, you might think it's poor judgment to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. That's your right, so when you ride a motorcycle wear a helmet. Other people don't have to acquiesce to your opinion of what they should do for their own safety.

    if Ben were to get seriously injured while riding a motorcycle without a helmet on he would not only be hurting himself, he would also be hurting his teammates who depend on him and the entire Steelers organization.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,067

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel


    if Ben were to get seriously injured while riding a motorcycle without a helmet on he would not only be hurting himself, he would also be hurting his teammates who depend on him and the entire Steelers organization.
    I thought this one had already been beat to death ad nauseum.

    I'm not in the camp that believes that a sports player is taking unnecessary risks that could harm other people by their own personal choice to wear a seat belt/helmet/etc.

    If it's not required by law it's his choice to wear one or not. It's his life and his body that are at stake. It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,341

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel


    if Ben were to get seriously injured while riding a motorcycle without a helmet on he would not only be hurting himself, he would also be hurting his teammates who depend on him and the entire Steelers organization.
    I thought this one had already been beat to death ad nauseum.

    I'm not in the camp that believes that a sports player is taking unnecessary risks that could harm other people by their own personal choice to wear a seat belt/helmet/etc.

    If it's not required by law it's his choice to wear one or not. It's his life and his body that are at stake. It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.
    He hasn't been on a motorcycle without a helmet since the accident though has he? Not sure if they changed the laws or not. Ben can do anything legal no matter how dangerous it is. It's his life, like Drago said in Rocky 4.. or 5. "If he dies, he dies"

    The Rooneys would get over it... I know we all would. (sarcasm)

  6. #16

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    I'm 21, and I don't mean to offend you guys, but when we see guys 27+ in a college bar hitting on 19 and 20 year old girls we think they're creeps. Ben should grow up. Even if it was consensual, he shouldn't be banging 20 year olds in bar bathrooms.

  7. #17
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,092

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel


    if Ben were to get seriously injured while riding a motorcycle without a helmet on he would not only be hurting himself, he would also be hurting his teammates who depend on him and the entire Steelers organization.
    I thought this one had already been beat to death ad nauseum.

    I'm not in the camp that believes that a sports player is taking unnecessary risks that could harm other people by their own personal choice to wear a seat belt/helmet/etc.

    If it's not required by law it's his choice to wear one or not. It's his life and his body that are at stake. It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.



    i believe Ben is making choices that give him a higher probability of bad things happening to him than if he instead chose to not ride a motorcycle (especially without a helmet on) and decided not to be out at bars at 2am.

    does he have a right to? of course he does, i just think he should use a little more common sense.

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,341

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Does this whole "Ben can do whatever he wants as long as it's legal" apply to free speech too? Ben could go on a hate filled rant about yinzers, say a bunch of Pollish jokes and trash Pittsburgh stereotypes...

    It's not illegal..... but it's not in his best interest either.

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    if one is reckless and uses poor judgment by not wearing a condom with a partner they don't know that well, then that individual has a higher probability of getting a sexual disease than the person who uses good judgment and wears a condom.

    a person not wearing a helmet while operating a vehicle at high speeds that offers no protection (like a motorcycle) is using poor judgment, law or no law.
    That example is misleading. In the first example (the condom) causing harm to someone else is involved. In the second, I don't believe it is.

    Much like mandatory seat belt law, helmet laws are a bunch of bad word. If the only person you can harm is yourself than it should be your decision whether or not to wear one, period. I'm not getting into how insurance companies might play a part in this crap either.

    Point being, you might think it's poor judgment to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. That's your right, so when you ride a motorcycle wear a helmet. Other people don't have to acquiesce to your opinion of what they should do for their own safety.

    if Ben were to get seriously injured while riding a motorcycle without a helmet on he would not only be hurting himself, he would also be hurting his teammates who depend on him and the entire Steelers organization.
    So basically every person out there riding without a helmet should refrain from doing so because their employer and coworkers are depending on them?

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,341

    Re: Rush to judgment on Big Ben wrong

    I'm sure there are some industries that do not want their employees riding without a helmet. Some companies give bonuses to employees who don't smoke or have great excellent health reports.

    The NBA, I believe, has enforced a no motorcycle rule because of the guaranteed contract and lost investment.

    I think the obvious point though is the common man and Ben are 2 different things. People keep saying things that suggest a 100 million dollar man is the norm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •