Thread: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

Article Tools

Steelers intend to sign two today
    Monday, March 08, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers are giving physicals to San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle and Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and intend to reach contract agreement with both players today.

Also, the Steelers have reached agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jon Scott (6-foot-6, 31, an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.

Allen, 27, would be a likely replacement for Ryan Clark, an unrestricted free agent who is meeting today with the Miami Dolphins.

A former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, Allen played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

Battle, 30, had 178 catches for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons with the 49ers. Like Allen, he is considered a special-teams standout.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm#ixzz0hcFmD96N"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFmD96N[/url]
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010
    The Steelers are giving physicals to San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle and Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and intend to reach contract agreement with both players today.

Also, the Steelers have reached agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jon Scott (6-foot-6, 31, an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.

Allen, 27, would be a likely replacement for Ryan Clark, an unrestricted free agent who is meeting today with the Miami Dolphins.

A former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, Allen played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

Battle, 30, had 178 catches for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons with the 49ers. Like Allen, he is considered a special-teams standout.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm#ixzz0hcFmD96N"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFmD96N[/url]

The Steelers signing 3 players in the first few days of FA???

total chaos. cats and dogs living together.

Anyway- this makes me wonder.

If the Steelers really are loading up on depth at some of these key positions... maybe they are planing to try to move up on the draft to get someone they think is an impact player.

hmmmmm

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010

If the Steelers really are loading up on depth at some of these key positions... maybe they are planing to try to move up on the draft to get someone they think is an impact player.

hmmmmm
    Well there is a top notch ILB who actually played in a very complexed 3-4 in college.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear

yeah, it really makes me think a couple scenarios

Take OT & FS off the board in the 1st (I really didn't think they'd go FS anyway.)
    I still believe K. Lewis is their intended starter at FS- if not this season then next.

A. Dan Williams if he is there- maybe even move up a few.

But more than NT, they need a corner. I can not see Haden droping that far- so they'd have to move up to get him.

You know Jacksonville is going to be trying to trade down, but even with the combine- I don't think Haden lasts until #10.

hmmmm

something is brewing.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010

hmmmmm
    Well there is a top notch ILB who actually played in a very complexed 3-4 in college.
    yeah, i thought about that. McClain will probably be within reach.

I just cant get past the glaring issue at Corner though.

Not that I'd have a problem taking McClain.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't read too much into the signing of Allen. He will just be the replacement of Carter. We still need a starter at that position.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Take OT & FS off the board in the 1st (I really didn't think they'd go FS anyway.)
    I still believe K. Lewis is their intended starter at FS- if not this season then next.

But more than NT, they need a corner. I can not see Haden droping that far- so they'd have to move up to get him.

You know Jacksonville is going to be trying to trade down, but even with the combine- I don't think Haden lasts until #10.

hmmmm

something is brewing.
    What's brewing my friend is CJ Spiller

Seriously, I think this means we go LB or DL and I'm serious that if Spiller is sitting there (highly unlikely) they don't pass on him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

hmmmm

something is brewing.
    What's brewing my friend is CJ Spiller

Seriously, I think this means we go LB or DL and I'm serious that if Spiller is sitting there (highly unlikely) they don't pass on him.
    I'm thinking it is looking like Spoon or Odrick, I don't think we would grab Williams in the first.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I wouldn't read too much into the signing of Allen. He will just be the replacement of Carter. We still need a starter at that position.
    Word.