Thread: WRs & the Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

WRs & the Draft

I would like to know who is in charge of the Steelers' scouting WRs for the draft. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have much of an eye for talent. Here are the WRs drafted by the Steelers in the last 10 yrs:

Rk Year Rnd Pick
    1 2009 3 84 Mike Wallace
    2 2008 2 53 Limas Sweed
    3 2007 7 227 Dallas Baker
    4 2006 1 25 Santonio Holmes
    5 2006 3 95 Willie Reid
    6 2005 4 131 Fred Gibson
    7 2002 2 62 Antwaan Randle El
    8 2002 6 202 Lee Mays
    9 2001 7 218 Chris Taylor
    10 2000 1 8 Plaxico Burress
    11 2000 4 103 Danny Farmer
    12 1999 1 13 Troy Edwards
    13 1999 5 166 Malcolm Johnson

Of the 13 picks, it can be argued that at least seven did not live up to hopes (if Sweed doesn't pan out, make it eight). With the emergence of the 'new' Steelers offense, it will become doubly important to evaluate young WR talent in the draft or we will be forced to overpay for FAs or go back to our '3 yds and a cloud of dust' offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: WRs & the Draft

I think it could be argued that they are 50/50 in the first 3 rounds. I'm not sure how that compares to other teams. While not great...not miserable either.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    I would like to know who is in charge of the Steelers' scouting WRs for the draft. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have much of an eye for talent. Here are the WRs drafted by the Steelers in the last 10 yrs:

Rk Year Rnd Pick
    1 2009 3 84 Mike Wallace
    2 2008 2 53 Limas Sweed
    3 2007 7 227 Dallas Baker
    4 2006 1 25 Santonio Holmes
    5 2006 3 95 Willie Reid
    6 2005 4 131 Fred Gibson
    7 2002 2 62 Antwaan Randle El
    8 2002 6 202 Lee Mays
    9 2001 7 218 Chris Taylor
    10 2000 1 8 Plaxico Burress
    11 2000 4 103 Danny Farmer
    12 1999 1 13 Troy Edwards
    13 1999 5 166 Malcolm Johnson

Of the 13 picks, it can be argued that at least seven did not live up to hopes (if Sweed doesn't pan out, make it eight). With the emergence of the 'new' Steelers offense, it will become doubly important to evaluate young WR talent in the draft or we will be forced to overpay for FAs or go back to our '3 yds and a cloud of dust' offense.
    Well it's 8... but can you really blame the FO for Sweed doing everything but catching easy TD's?

Most draft picks don't pan out though do they?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure they say every year that WRs have the highest chance of busting, so this isn't suprising.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote="NorthCoast"]I would like to know who is in charge of the Steelers' scouting WRs for the draft. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have much of an eye for talent. Here are the WRs drafted by the Steelers in the last 10 yrs:

Rk Year Rnd Pick
    1 2009 3 84 Mike Wallace

i like the last one we drafted a lot!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

WR is one of the toughest position to project success in the NFL. That is why the paradigm has always been you can't evaluate a WR until year 3.

All you have to do is look at the Ravens and how many WRs they have missed on and they are one of the best talent evaluating teams in the NFL. They had to bring Mason and now Boldin in from the outside. Same thing for the Pats. They have missed on quite a few WRs themselves which is why they had to bring in Moss and Welker from the outside.

This is why every draft I think you need to take a chance in the first 4 rounds on a WR to keep your depth where it needs to be since it will be 2-3 years before you have any indication you have got it right or not.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, I didn't have a WR in my mock but I do now. Regardless of the 2 signings, the Steelers will have 3 WRs in their 30's. A youngster is needed and I see a perfect way to fit one on the roster. Draft Ford and he will challenge Logan.