Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

  1. #41

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    [quote=SteelCzar76][quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2iq4e6ba
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":2iq4e6ba
    What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".
    czar has an issue with Timmons and no matter what Timmons does it will never be good enough.

    I'm starting to think he's Timmons' daddy and living vicariously through him...so unless Timmons is perfect it's just not good enough.
    I think you mean to say that Tomlin looks at him as a father attempting to live through him.
    It's not personal for me at all,.....i simply abhor the foolishness of wasting 1st rnd draft selections of an organization that i would like to see remain strong because of one man's (Tomlin) desire to do as much. (Live vicariously through a player and or put their success before that of the Franchise because of some great PERSONAL affinity)
    No. I meant what I posted.

    And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.[/quote:2iq4e6ba]



    It appears that It's difficult for you to be objective when this is indeed such a personal matter for you huh sweetheart ? If you do not believe that Timmons being drafted had Tomlin written all over it,.. even in the face of all logic and evidence to the contrary,..that is your deal.

    But miss me with the internet tough guy sh@t,.....it's unbecoming as i am CERTAIN of the fact that you would not do so in my actual presence.

    That being said,...let's agree to disagree and keep it moving like men because i'm not going to play "grab azz" with you any longer dude. And that's real,...[/quote:2iq4e6ba]

    Steeler Czar will never be convinced on Timmons but he actually had a good season in '09. Timmons was hampered throughout the season by a badly sprained ankle but still managed to record 78 tkls, 7 sacks and 4 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles. He also had 14 QB pressures which is one of the highest numbers for any player.

    Keyaron is nice addition and solid player, but he clearly does not have the athleticism of Timmons. Fox has been in he league 6 years and has one QB sack and 2 passes defensed in that entire time.

    Timmons still has room to grow as a player, but he is hardly playing over Fox just because he is Tomlin's boy as Czar always suggests. We''l just have to agree to disagree, but we don't have to be mad.

  2. #42

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    I am glad we finally got Carter off the roster with Allen, re-signed Clark ( I had feeling that he was going no where), and depth at WR and Special Teams.

    But I agree, I have a feeling this is going to be a key signing. Only if we had more info on this cat, can he play Guard or Center? In the games he played, how did he fair?

    Scott (6 feet 6, 318 pounds), who started two games at right tackle and six games at left tackle for the Bills last season, will visit Steelers offices today and is expected to sign a multiyear contract, a move that will reunite him with Sean Kugler, his position coach in Buffalo.

    A former fifth-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions in 2006, Scott was a restricted free agent who did not receive a contract tender from the Bills, making him an unrestricted free agent.

    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068/10 ... z0hhPuqnWR

  3. #43
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,180

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    I view these recent signings from the perspective of the team adding more "Mewelde Moore type" journeyman depth. And i like others do not believe that it impacts our prior/current Draft needs in any significant fashion.
    I must say Czar you certainly leave no doubt what your opinion is ... and that's the fun with a message board. I agree with you that the recent signings are more from a depth perspective. I disagree that Moore is a journeyman type player. He has only been with the Vikings and he has come through very well when given the chance to start. His play in 2008 was instrumental in us getting to and winning the SB.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Does it mean Iupati, Haden, Wilson or even a surprise pick like MCcourtey are out of consideration ?,.. no. Does it mean Mays, Thomas or Odrick are out ?,,.. no.
    I agree 100%. These signings just mean we have no outstanding need so we can select the BPA with #18 or trade down.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    But i will say that for those of you whom believe the pick will be and or would like for it to be a LB such as MCclain or Weatherspoon,.....you may very well be dissapointed. Why,...we already have a guy on the roster that is a better LB than Timmons in Fox,....and yet Tomlin refuses to allow him to start. ( Even to the reported chagrin of the Defensive coaching staff)
    How do you know this? Are you in team meetings or something like that? Those are some bold statements unless you have some inside info.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    What makes anyone believe that he'd (Tomlin) go along with Drafting a backer that he could not justify keeping off of the field as a starter in place of Timmons ? There could be no more excuses (For him or Timmons) to do so if one of those guys where to come in and outperform Timmons in every sense,.. every time they stepped on the field at practice/camps right before everyone's very eyes.
    What evidence do you have that Tomlin has this special relationship with Timmons? Colbert has made all the draft picks since Cowher left. I don't think Tomlin even had mcuh input into the first draaft he was a part of. I'm sure his imput has increased since then but that first year it was minimal.

    I do agree with you that Fox is an excellent player. When he is on the field things tend to happen. I expect to see Fox get more playing time this year but not for Timmons ... for Farrior. Timmons is a good linebacker who will only get better.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  4. #44

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    I don't really see how signing this guy changes anything regarding the draft. Colon is still on a one-year tender and this guy seems like a back-up. We could still draft an OT in the first if the player is a good value.

  5. #45
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,727

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.

  6. #46
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.
    And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #47
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,727

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.
    And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...


    i'm all for replacing Essex, however this article only mentions that Scott can play LT and RT (which is still a good thing).



    Steelers sign Buffalo offensive tackle Scott


    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010


    The Steelers signed unrestricted free-agent tackle Jonathan Scott to a multiyear contract, agent Jordan Woy confirmed today.

    Scott (6-foot-6, 318 pounds) is versatile enough to play left and right tackle. A fifth-round draft pick in 2006, he started eight games with Buffalo in 2009.

    Scott will be reunited with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached him for two seasons in Buffalo.

  8. #48
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.
    And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...


    i'm all for replacing Essex, however this article only mentions that Scott can play LT and RT (which is still a good thing).



    Steelers sign Buffalo offensive tackle Scott


    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010


    The Steelers signed unrestricted free-agent tackle Jonathan Scott to a multiyear contract, agent Jordan Woy confirmed today.

    Scott (6-foot-6, 318 pounds) is versatile enough to play left and right tackle. A fifth-round draft pick in 2006, he started eight games with Buffalo in 2009.

    Scott will be reunited with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached him for two seasons in Buffalo.
    True enough, but Trai Essex was strictly a LT or RT before last season too.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  9. #49
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,072

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.
    And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...
    Compare the contracts of the guys that we signed, though:

    Ryan Clark: 4 years, $14 million
    Antwaan Randle El: 3 years, $7 million
    Will Allen: 3 years, $4.4 million
    Arnaz Battle: 3 years, $3.9 million
    Jonathan Scott: 1 year, $545,000

    Scott is the only one who signed a one year deal, and it appears to be a veteran minimum deal. The other 4 guys signed multi-year pacts, with Clark getting $3.5 million per year to be a starter, Randle El is getting more than $2 million per year, and Allen and Battle getting more than a million annual salary as well. Just on the basis of those numbers, I doubt that Scott has the biggest impact.

  10. #50
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177

    Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

    as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

    Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

    the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

    having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life.
    And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...
    Compare the contracts of the guys that we signed, though:

    Ryan Clark: 4 years, $14 million
    Antwaan Randle El: 3 years, $7 million
    Will Allen: 3 years, $4.4 million
    Arnaz Battle: 3 years, $3.9 million
    Jonathan Scott: 1 year, $545,000

    Scott is the only one who signed a one year deal, and it appears to be a veteran minimum deal. The other 4 guys signed multi-year pacts, with Clark getting $3.5 million per year to be a starter, Randle El is getting more than $2 million per year, and Allen and Battle getting more than a million annual salary as well. Just on the basis of those numbers, I doubt that Scott has the biggest impact.
    Could be Kugler sold him on the opportunity that he would have here to compete for a position and earn a contract. I think it says alot when a player follows a coach or a coach recruits a player. Something could be there.

    I may also say that Kugler has an idea of what he wants to do and Tony Hills can't do that.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •