Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

Re: Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

An offensive player like a RB in round 1 is totally out of the question, IMO. The defense needs to get younger and a top flight CB is what this team needs desperately. We need more play-makers on the D. McClain or Haden- either one would suit me fine and 1 of them could fall to 18. Haden is a distinct possibility.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Tony Hills, I would start working out a little harder if I were you...

Steelers | J. Scott agrees to terms

Mon, 08 Mar 2010

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free-agent OT Jonathan Scott (Bills). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear

yeah, it really makes me think a couple scenarios

Take OT & FS off the board in the 1st (I really didn't think they'd go FS anyway.)
    I still believe K. Lewis is their intended starter at FS- if not this season then next.

A. Dan Williams if he is there- maybe even move up a few.

But more than NT, they need a corner. I can not see Haden droping that far- so they'd have to move up to get him.

You know Jacksonville is going to be trying to trade down, but even with the combine- I don't think Haden lasts until #10.

hmmmm

something is brewing.
    What's brewing my friend is CJ Spiller

you absolutely got me on with that one.

Seriously, I think this means we go LB or DL and I'm serious that if Spiller is sitting there (highly unlikely) they don't pass on him.
    In a 3-4 ranking the most difficult starting positions to fill...

NT (it all starts right there- two gap responsibility- hold the point-etc)
    CB (cover and play strong run support)
    OLB (challenge converting college 4-3 DE)
    Buck (due to coverage responsibilities)
    DE (gap responsibility take on blockers collapse the pocket.)

I lump these three kind of together-
    Mack
    SS
    FS
    each of these positions can be filled later in the draft with players that can not quite make it at there designated positions.

eg...
    FS- frequently corners without the speed
    SS- FS without the speed... maybe linebackers that are fast enough but too small.
    Mack- Slower linebackers

of course, these are just my opinions, and could be completely off base.

With this in mind though, I really think they are looking at the following.

3 guys they might consider trading up for:

Williams
    McClain
    Haden if he slides

a few guys they might trade down for
    Odrick
    Pouncey
    McCourty
    Davis

A lot of people here are big on Weatherspoon- which I get. He seems like he is going to be an excellent player at the next level. What I dont get- is he and Timmons are very similar players. Not sure he fits a need at this time.

Hall of Famer

Maybe Koogs can convince Richie Incognito to come compete for the C spot against Hartwig. I would have to imagine he would be an upgrade. Plus I like nasty OL who aren't afraid to "walk right on the line". Koogs would have to be confident that is where he could keep him. Although, playing for the Steelers versus being stuck with the Rams has to be good for one's demeanor!

Hall of Famer

Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear
    If you think Will Allen is going to keep us from drafting a good FS in round one, I think you overestimating Will Allen. This guy is here to replace carter and help on special teams. He can be effective as an emergency starter/stop gap guy. He is not the answer. That said, there are some good FS prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Jonathan Scott is also probably no more than depth and camp competition.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Consider also that Adam....whatever is projecting that we receive 3 comp picks. 2 5th rounds and one 7th round. So if he is accurate in his prediction this year we have 3 extra picks. We can move up to grab a player we want and still have a number of picks at our disposal.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

If you think Will Allen is going to keep us from drafting a good FS in round one, I think you overestimating Will Allen. This guy is here to replace carter and help on special teams. He can be effective as an emergency starter/stop gap guy. He is not the answer. That said, there are some good FS prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Jonathan Scott is also probably no more than depth and camp competition.
    I completely agree that there are lots of good DBs we can get in Rounds 2+. That is why I specifically constrained my comments to Round 1.

I have no doubt we will get DBs (probably 2) or OL (probably 1) in this draft. Just a matter of when. I think they are trying to give themselves the most freedom they can I Round 1 and therefore we must ask what would they be open to.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Jon Scott was once a pretty good OT prospect for Texas.....but dropped off Senior year....much like Tony Hills. He prob will take Hills roster spot....backup only.
    2015 Draft

1) P.J. Williams-CB-Florida St.
    2) Jordan Phillips-DT-Oklahoma
    3) Geneo Grissom-OLB-Oklahoma
    4) Ben Koyack-TE-Notre Dame
    5) Jonathan Mincy-CB-Auburn
    6) Justin Coleman-CB-Tenn
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor

The Steelers like value and Earl Thomas provides it at 1.18, from what I hear he can play FS, SS and CB. If that's the case he will not be passed up by the Steelers. They like value and versatility and he would provide both.

In all seriousness Spiller would provide value but not versatility, in that he can play many positions, he is, however, a versatile back. I believe that if Thomas and Spiller are there at 1.18 the Steelers take Thomas.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Jon Scott was once a pretty good OT prospect for Texas.....but dropped off Senior year....much like Tony Hills. He prob will take Hills roster spot....backup only.

if nothing else, i feel much better now knowing that Tony Hills may never actually have to play in a real game in case of an injury to one of our starting OTs.