Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in bringing Foote back

Steelers interested in bringing Foote back

The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFMp1tT
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Starter

Re: Steelers interested in bringing Foote back

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFMp1tT
    That would be a tough pill for him to swallow- but it would be a solid move for the team if he did re-sign.

I would like to bring Foote back if possible. He is solid against the run and allows Timmons to go back to being a nickel linebacker.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Interesting. Foote back in his old role, Timmons over to Farrior's spot and Farrior as depth?

I like the move if he is willing to sit the bench and take vet minimum. That would give us very nice depth at the LB position.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I like the move if he is willing to sit the bench and take vet minimum. That would give us very nice depth at the LB position.
    Me too Shawn. Timmons is the starter now.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I would like to bring Foote back if possible. He is solid against the run and allows Timmons to go back to being a nickel linebacker.
    Why would I want the LB who last season was 5th in total tackles, 3rd in Sacks and 2nd in Forced Fumbles off the field for a slug like Foote. No way would I want to see Foote on the field again for the Steelers.

Our defensive collapse last season was a problem with pass defense of which Foote is a huge liability. We had no problem defending the run.

Some of the crazy stuff I read here is just crazy.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Why would I want the LB who last season was 5th in total tackles, 3rd in Sacks and 2nd in Forced Fumbles off the field for a slug like Foote. No way would I want to see Foote on the field again for the Steelers.

Our defensive collapse last season was a problem with pass defense of which Foote is a huge liability. We had no problem defending the run.

Hence the term "crazy stuff".

<a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Hall of Famer

Seeing how Farrior closed out the year...I would say the combination of Timmons & Foote would be an upgrade. Farrior could step back into the rotation and save himself for the end of the year into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

We will chalk it up to a difference of opinion. And I can admit that without insulting you. I remember seeing the Steelers strugle to stop the Browns and Ravens running the football at the end of the year. I think Foote plays the run better than Timmons. I would welcome him back. Obviously you would not (hence your description of Foote as a slug).

We will see if the run defense is top flight this year with Timmons at ILB. My prediction is that it will not be. It won't all be his fault, but I don't think Timmons has the instincts for ILB. He seems to get blocked to easily on running plays.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.