Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Be Expected

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: To Be Expected

why cant ben go out in public like everyone else and stay out until 2 in the morning.....

well first, ben is not like everyone else, he is the face of the most succesful franchise in football, so with that comes smart decision making...I am a friggin P.E. teacher and a high school baseball coach, I do not put myself in positions where I can get in trouble or make me look bad because of my job, so why can't he. I understand if he likes going to bars to meet and greet people at the bar, but he has his own section, so why not go to someones house and do this, recruit woman and bring them to your house if you want, my old college gf told me her best friend was asked by big bens bodyguard if she would like to go to his house, well the skank did, got railed and the limo took her home...

I wonder where heath miller, polamalu or aaron smith were, arent they gladiators too just like the original post said, I dont buy into the fact that these guys go through injuries and pain like nobody else and with that comes alcohol and drugs, there are plenty of drunks who get high that are not football players, they just have problems, football players that are alcoholics and drug addicts also have problems, they know they are a celebrity and can do what they want. DUI, ehh your a steeler so we will give a slap on the wrist, DUI, your a contractor well than your screwed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

The broken system is the real culprit to many of the problems we see with young men like Big Ben.
    Can't ride that wagon with ya, flippy. Any specific individual can overcome whatever "broken system" they are born into or are a part of IMO. All it takes is balls, brains, and willpower.

It seems to me you're basically saying that this whole thing we call "sports" or football is to blame for the actions of particular individuals. No offense, but that's just pathetic.

Is it alright for someone that grows up in the projects to become a crack dealer? Is it alright for someone that grows up in the suburbs to become a crack dealer? How about if they grow up the child of millionaires?

It might be easier to understand how someone that grew up in the projects could become a crack dealer but it doesn't excuse it.

Don't blame sports for the problems of particular individuals. They may perform in the current cultural equivalent of gladiatorial combat but they sure as hell aren't being forced to. If life is that hard as a sports star that you have to become an alcoholic, addict, or sexual predator or something to cope than the right thing to do would probably be to quit and seek help, no?

Then again, perhaps I'm missing your point here.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Looking over the original post again I'm still undeterred from disagreeing with it.

I don't excuse anyone, regardless of what career they are in or life they lead, for senseless wrongdoing. Whether they be sports stars, doctors, lawyers, students, or ACTUAL soldiers I won't excuse them from wrongdoing because of what they go through or have been through unless they have no choice in the matter.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy

The broken system is the real culprit to many of the problems we see with young men like Big Ben.
    Can't ride that wagon with ya, flippy. Any specific individual can overcome whatever "broken system" they are born into or are a part of IMO. All it takes is balls, brains, and willpower.

It seems to me you're basically saying that this whole thing we call "sports" or football is to blame for the actions of particular individuals. No offense, but that's just pathetic.

Is it alright for someone that grows up in the projects to become a crack dealer? Is it alright for someone that grows up in the suburbs to become a crack dealer? How about if they grow up the child of millionaires?

It might be easier to understand how someone that grew up in the projects could become a crack dealer but it doesn't excuse it.

Don't blame sports for the problems of particular individuals. They may perform in the current cultural equivalent of gladiatorial combat but they sure as hell aren't being forced to. If life is that hard as a sports star that you have to become an alcoholic, addict, or sexual predator or something to cope than the right thing to do would probably be to quit and seek help, no?

Then again, perhaps I'm missing your point here.
    I was thinking along the lines of these players choose football which is violent. So they are also probably more likely to make other choices that include violence.

But we have expectations for these guys to be wholesome and make smart decisions in their lives outside of football.

Maybe we should expect less.

I'm not looking to blame anyone or anything.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that makes sense flippy. I don't expect football players to be model citizens or scholars off the field. A lot of times fans think players are successful at life because they are successful at a sport.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder though...does the NFL really have any more problems statistically than the rest of the US population? I would love to have the number of NFL players to roll through in the last 15 years and the amount of DUIs, drug violations etc and compare that to US stats.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I wonder though...does the NFL really have any more problems statistically than the rest of the US population? I would love to have the number of NFL players to roll through in the last 15 years and the amount of DUIs, drug violations etc and compare that to US stats.

my guess is yes...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    why cant ben go out in public like everyone else and stay out until 2 in the morning.....

well first, ben is not like everyone else, he is the face of the most succesful franchise in football, so with that comes smart decision making...I am a friggin P.E. teacher and a high school baseball coach, I do not put myself in positions where I can get in trouble or make me look bad because of my job, so why can't he. I understand if he likes going to bars to meet and greet people at the bar, but he has his own section, so why not go to someones house and do this, recruit woman and bring them to your house if you want, my old college gf told me her best friend was asked by big bens bodyguard if she would like to go to his house, well the skank did, got railed and the limo took her home...

I wonder where heath miller, polamalu or aaron smith were, arent they gladiators too just like the original post said, I dont buy into the fact that these guys go through injuries and pain like nobody else and with that comes alcohol and drugs, there are plenty of drunks who get high that are not football players, they just have problems, football players that are alcoholics and drug addicts also have problems, they know they are a celebrity and can do what they want. DUI, ehh your a steeler so we will give a slap on the wrist, DUI, your a contractor well than your screwed.
    They were probably home with their wives (hopefully learned their lesson from Tiger)...

Perhaps it is about time for Roethlisberger to retire childish frat boy Ben and consider journeying down the path of grown-up family man Ben.

When the single Jeff Reed was getting himself in trouble, he had the single Matt Spaeth with him, not the married Heath Miller.

When the single Ben Roethlisberger was getting himself in trouble, he had the single Willie Colon with him, not the married Max Starks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609

They were probably home with their wives (hopefully learned their lesson from Tiger)...

Perhaps it is about time for Roethlisberger to retire childish frat boy Ben and consider journeying down the path of grown-up family man Ben.

When the single Jeff Reed was getting himself in trouble, he had the single Matt Spaeth with him, not the married Heath Miller.

When the single Ben Roethlisberger was getting himself in trouble, he had the single Willie Colon with him, not the married Max Starks.
    Married 2 years... I tried hanging out with my single friends when they came in town. We had a blast but it felt great(and a little scary due to the sun coming up) that I had someone to come home to while they were doing the late night scramble gamble.

My older brother is single and still trying to mack. He said it hit him like a brick one night when he was at the club and much older than everyone else...times running out!!! He has a great sense of humor and the story about being stood up by some young chick who used him was hilarious.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"