Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well done, Colbert

Legend

Re: Well done, Colbert

I'm too lazy to do a draft breakdown of any other teams, but I'm guessing most of them would look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I'm too lazy to do a draft breakdown of any other teams, but I'm guessing most of them would look worse.
    Yeah, I'd imagine -- plenty of teams have been pretty crappy since 2000. And we have definitely done pretty well over that time.

It would be interesting to see how we stack up against a team with a similar record, but is active in FA and doesn't focus on the draft quite as much.

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    I hear you SSS, and agree quite a bit...

BUT if you are going to build through the draft you've got to hit a home run every time, and we haven't done that.

I don't want to break the bank on FA every year, but to think that the Jets got Cromartie for a 3rd round pick -- the pick we used for the likes of Bruce Davis, Anthony Smith, and Willie Reid... it makes me think that we need to work FA a little more than we do now.

don't forget about the financial ramifications though...when you draft a guy in the 3rd round you pay him like a 3rd rounder and get to keep him at that rate for the life of the contract.

when you trade a 3rd round draft choice (that could well become a 2nd rounder in this case) for a guy like Cromartie you assume his old contract but only get to keep him for the remainder of his contract at that rate. you either then re-sign him at big dollars to keep him or lose him altogether, which means you only rented that player. and if you pay him the big bucks then that is less $ that can be used to re-sign the likes of Mendenhall, Woodley, Santonio, etc.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

One scary thing about our draft history is some of the higher picks didn't make it long on the roster and weren't even close to good enough to be backups.
    @_Hellgrammite

At WR, what about Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El? Those guys were drafted under Colbert...

If you're going to include Alonzo Jackson, you should include them as well...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.