Thread: Weatherspoon shines for NFL scouts at Missouri's Pro Day

Legend

User Info Menu

Weatherspoon shines for NFL scouts at Missouri's Pro Day

Spoon shines for NFL scouts

By DAVE MATTER
    Posted March 5, 2010

Having just worked out for NFL teams on Monday at the Scouting Combine, Sean Weatherspoon could have sat out Thursday’s pro day inside Missouri’s Devine Pavilion. Instead, he had a score to settle with the stopwatch.

"All the reviews I got at the combine was that I did what I needed to do," the former MU linebacker said. "But, me personally, I wasn’t satisfied with my 40 time. So I wanted to come out here today and run it on my home turf and maybe do a little better."

He did just that. After clocking 40-yard dash times in the 4.5 and 4.6-second range in Indianapolis, Weatherspoon was timed in the 4.4s on Thursday, specifically 4.43 by a scout from Green Bay and 4.48 by a representative from Atlanta. Weatherspoon also set a personal-record in the bench press, lifting 225 pounds 35 times, one more rep than he managed in Indy where he had the second-best total among linebackers.

If anything, Weatherspoon might have scored points with scouts by working out at MU when he could have been a spectator.

"I had originally planned not to do the bench press, but when I saw other guys competing and all my teammates in there, I said, 'I got to get under there.' That was my motivation to do that. … You definitely get points for that."

Weatherspoon said he has had formal interviews with 21 teams and expects to line up some private workouts with clubs in the coming weeks. He’s hoping to fall somewhere between the draft’s No. 15 overall pick (owned by the New York Giants) and No. 34, the second pick of the second round, held by Detroit. Anything lower, he said, will be disappointing.

Weatherspoon said he feels best about his meetings with Atlanta, Denver, New England and New Orleans, among others. He also interviewed with Cleveland’s brass, including linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, MU’s former defensive coordinator and the coach who recruited Weatherspoon out of Jasper, Texas. Teams that run a 3-4 defense told Weatherspoon they like him as an inside linebacker, while 4-3 teams like him at either the middle or weakside position, the place he played most of his college career.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Weatherspoon shines for NFL scouts at Missouri's Pro Day

This is a guy I want as a Steeler...not just because of his obvious athleticism but because he has heart. I love the fact that he put up comfortable numbers then wanted to do better instead of playing it safe.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

He probably just guaranteed that he will be gone by #18 with that Pro Day.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

here is someone who is not enamored with Weatherspoon...

By DAVE MATTER
    Thursday, March 4, 2010

By most accounts, former Missouri star Sean Weatherspoon solidified his place among the top linebacker prospects for April’s NFL draft during the recent the NFL Scouting Combine, and, according to most draft analysts, could be a first-round selection. Weatherspoon’s charisma was on full display during the Senior Bowl and then again during combine drills in Indianapolis, instantly making him a favorite among the broadcasters and analysts calling the action. Never one to hide from the cameras, Weatherspoon was his typical bubbly self in Indianapolis, donning an impossible-to-ignore all-white spandex body suit during Monday’s drills.

“Prototype,” former Baltimore Coach Brian Billick said during NFL Network’s telecast of the combine, saying Weatherspoon could play inside or outside linebacker for most defenses—his garish garb notwithstanding.

But not everyone is apparently impressed by Weatherspoon’s personality. Pro Football Weekly listed the former Tiger as one of the combine’s 10 sliders, players who damaged their draft stock in Indianapolis.

“For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his ‘character’ is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League,” wrote Senior Editor Nolan Nawrocki. “ ‘He never shuts up,’ one top executive said. ‘He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of’ ” expletive “ ‘It’s all about himself. I don’t want him in my locker room.’ ”

Weatherspoon was never accused of being bashful during his MU career, but his antics never seemed to come at the expense of his team. Of all the Missouri players I’ve covered over the years, Weatherspoon leads the pack in authenticity. Yes, he’s loud but it’s a fun-loving, playful loud, nothing close to malicious nor arrogant.

In fact, I’d put Weatherspoon in the same company, if not ahead, of the most engaging, influential team leaders to play for the Tigers, guys like Corby Jones, Chase Daniel, Lorenzo Williams and Martin Rucker. An NFL locker room would be lucky to have him.

Who knows, half of what you hear from NFL executives and scouts these days is subterfuge intended to mislead and mystify. Maybe this executive is in fact enamored with Weatherspoon and hopes his comments persuade other clubs with higher draft picks to cross him off their wish list.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

rumor has it that the Atlanta Falcons are in love with Weatherspoon and they draft one spot behind us at #19.

Weatherspoon solidifies first-round status
    March, 5, 2010

By Kevin Weidl, Scouts Inc.

The NFL combine ended Tuesday, but not every player could just sit back, relax and reflect on his performance. Prospects from Missouri had to work out for their pro days later in the week. Pro days give NFL scouts another chance to evaluate prospects, and players usually put up better numbers at their pro days because they are performing in a comfortable setting where they have practiced all offseason. Here is a look at the latest news to come out of the Tigers' pro day.

Missouri Tigers

LB Sean Weatherspoon

The Tiger linebacker parlayed his strong combine showing into a very good pro day on Thursday, including an improved 40-yard dash time. At the combine, Weatherspoon ran the 40 in 4.68 seconds and did 34 bench-press reps. At his pro day, he ran the 40 in 4.54 and 4.52 seconds and added another rep to his bench press.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Every year, after the combine and Pro Days, there are always twice as many guys that "will certainly be gone before we pick" than would be mathematically possible. I expect to hear at least 34 names for guys that will never, ever fall to #18, just like we hear 62 names of guys that would never last to the final pick of the first round when we pick 32nd.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

An executive doesn't want a loud mouth in his locker room? Seriously?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Weatherspoon may be a better 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 ILB. I watched him play twice and he really has trouble shedding offensive linemen. This problem will be magnified inside. He played inside vs. Navy in the bowl game and really struggled to disengage from some very average linemen.

I like the kid, but I think the majority of this board is overestimating his talent a bit. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him at 18. He'd help vs the pass and he'd be a spark plug. I just saw some things that were real red flags. Coupling him with Timmons who has well documented trouble shedding blocks could be a problem.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I think Weatherspoon may be a better 4-3 OLB than a 3-4 ILB. I watched him play twice and he really has trouble shedding offensive linemen. This problem will be magnified inside. He played inside vs. Navy in the bowl game and really struggled to disengage from some very average linemen.

I like the kid, but I think the majority of this board is overestimating his talent a bit. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him at 18. He'd help vs the pass and he'd be a spark plug. I just saw some things that were real red flags. Coupling him with Timmons who has well documented trouble shedding blocks could be a problem.
    Never heard of the kid before the Senior Bowl. It's amazing how guys rise and fall.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Every year, after the combine and Pro Days, there are always twice as many guys that "will certainly be gone before we pick" than would be mathematically possible. I expect to hear at least 34 names for guys that will never, ever fall to #18, just like we hear 62 names of guys that would never last to the final pick of the first round when we pick 32nd.
    What he said....like Mendenhall NEVER falling to us at No. 23 two years ago....just won't happen...