Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's official: Boldin a Raven

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: It's official: Boldin a Raven

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    This finally gives the Ravens a legitimate NFL receiver in their offense. They just got a lot tougher. Meanwhile our defense keeps getting older. I think the Steelers really have to focus on adding some youth and athleticism to the defense. Our secondary has to improve in order to compete, and I don't believe that bringing Troy back solves all our problems.
    yep-

and it is not just the addition of Boldin.

Of the group that the ravens started last season, only Mason would actually see the field on most any other team.

Combined with Stallworth, and the assumed resigning of Mason- dramatically upgrades their passing game.

If the Ravens had those three receivers this past season- they probably beat the Colts in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    This finally gives the Ravens a legitimate NFL receiver in their offense. They just got a lot tougher. Meanwhile our defense keeps getting older. I think the Steelers really have to focus on adding some youth and athleticism to the defense. Our secondary has to improve in order to compete, and I don't believe that bringing Troy back solves all our problems.
    yep-

Of the group that the ravens started last season, only Mason would actually see the field on most any other team.

Combined with Stallworth, and the assumed resigning of Mason- dramatically upgrades their passing game.

If the Ravens had those three receivers this past season- they probably beat the Colts in the playoffs.
    Those 3 receivers? Really?

Stallworth is a reclamation project who was never all that good anyway. He never had 1000 yards receiving even in his best years in New Orleans. Since then, he was one-season-and-done in Philly, New England, and Cleveland, and missed all of last year after killing a guy.

Derrick Mason wanted to retire last off-season, and had to be talked into coming back. That may work once (a la Bettis) but I don't see him being a major factor evenif they are able to re-sign him as a UFA. He's had a solid career, for sure, but it is certainly in its twilight.

Boldin is the one guy I do like, but he is awfully injury prone and who know how good he will be without Fitz opposite him to take coverage away (no one anywhere close to that in Baltimore) and without Warner throwing him the ball (Flacco isn't near that level either). He's a physical possession receiver that you have to respect, but I think they will have Demetrius Williams, Mark Clayton, or a rookie starting opposite him, which isn't keeping me up at night.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    yep-

Those 3 receivers? Really?

Stallworth is a reclamation project who was never all that good anyway. He never had 1000 yards receiving even in his best years in New Orleans. Since then, he was one-season-and-done in Philly, New England, and Cleveland, and missed all of last year after killing a guy.

Derrick Mason wanted to retire last off-season, and had to be talked into coming back. That may work once (a la Bettis) but I don't see him being a major factor evenif they are able to re-sign him as a UFA. He's had a solid career, for sure, but it is certainly in its twilight.

Boldin is the one guy I do like, but he is awfully injury prone and who know how good he will be without Fitz opposite him to take coverage away (no one anywhere close to that in Baltimore) and without Warner throwing him the ball (Flacco isn't near that level either). He's a physical possession receiver that you have to respect, but I think they will have Demetrius Williams, Mark Clayton, or a rookie starting opposite him, which isn't keeping me up at night.
    I getcha Ruthless- but i think you missed my point.

The Ravens dramatically improved their WR corp- by removing the scrubs that they had starting last season.

I am not suggesting that Donte Stallworth is a HOF player-

What I am suggesting is that they now have 3, maybe 4 receivers who should actually be on an NFL roster- vs. last season when they had guys who should be on the practice squad or the CFL actually lined up as the 2, 3, and 4 receiver.

That is the point.

If they had these three guys playing last season - instead of the guys that dropped about a half dozen very catchable balls against the Colts- they likely would have won that game.

Their improvement, combined with the apparent deterioration of the Steeler's secondary, is the implied concern.

Starter

User Info Menu

So you do not feel that adding Boldin and even a "suspect but will be playing for his life" Stallworth to a Ravens passing attack that for the most part was having it's way against our secondary when last we played poses no threat ? (Especially if we enter the season with Gay, or Lewis starting at Corner and 7 round selection Ryan Mundy starting at Free Safety)

Really ?,...
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    And Mays is a coverage guru? To get better in coverage don't you think drafting a coverage guy is pretty important? Thomas is an elite talent with elite coverage skills. He is far from a waif like you make him to be. He is the epitome of a FS...exactly what we need.

Mays doesn't fit our system unless we move Troy.
    Here's the thing Shawn,...i don't know whether or not you have watched Thomas play this season much at Texas,..or especially against Bama's ground game in the National Championship,.....but i would be far more comfortable with Mays on the field for us against the likes of Ray Rice, Willis Mcgahee, Boldin, Cedric Benson, Larry Johnson and even what appears to be an up and coming Browns running attack.

As far as Taylor's supposed lack of skills in coverage,..as i have said before,..i believe as much to be greatly over exaggerated. (much as was the case with Troy coming out.)

Taylor's "shortcomings" can be rectified via coaching and wisdom that would come as a product of playing with the best Safety in the game. (Polamalu)

Taylor also gives you a player whom can play both Safety spots, as well as adding some impact in regards to special teams coverage.

And finally,...he could probably make the switch to OLB if he were to lose a step regarding speed towards the end of his career and still be very productive. (ie: no wasted roster space with slow safeties at any point)
    Bing muthaphrucking... O!!!

I agree... I think Thomas will be decent but I'm not impressed by INT stats after breaking down who they were against. I like that he can catch... But he looks tiny and like you said...
    Alabama ran all over Texas.

I think the board is in love with the INT's because we were pathetic at TO's last year.

That's exactly why,.... .because of the number of his (Thomas's) INT's. But the way i see it,... good ball skills can look incredible if your playing with large leads in an already pass happy conference. (It's a matter of opportunities)

And another thing that people fail to realize is that Coach Carroll almost exclusively ran cover 1 at SC. Thereby almost putting too much pressure on Taylor this season to not only cover the the vast majority of the field,.. but also compensate for mismatches in short passing lanes due to the loss of our exceptional LB corps. (All the while having to remain cognizant of being physical and active in run support)

But can you imagine how much more impressive Taylor would be in Coach Lebeau's system which employs Cover 2 principles in terms of coverage. Where he only has to focus upon half of the field and will be supported by studs in the front seven as well Troy ?

I think he'd more than exceed any of the "Lack of ball skills,..will suffer in coverage" presumptions made by critics. Especially when you consider this,.. that in their tenures at SC,.....Troy finished with 278 tackles, 13 passes broken up and 6 picks.

And Taylor, finished with 276 tackles, 21 passes broken up and 5 picks.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin