Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks weighs in on Ryan Clark situation

Legend

User Info Menu

Max Starks weighs in on Ryan Clark situation

I find the last paragraph very interesting, especially where Max says we need a veteran FS if we don't re-sign Clark AND another CB...even he doesn't think the current CBs on the roster can cut it!

Starks weighs in on Clark situation
    The Press Box - March 5th, 2010

Offensive tackle Max Starks all but lobbied the Steelers to re-sign free safety Ryan Clark during an interview with SIRIUS NFL Radio Thursday night.

“Ryan was a leader in more ways than one,” Starks told the station. “We all know his accolades on the field and what he brings to the table as just a dominating safety that just delivers devastating blows but as a veteran in the locker room he is just an invaluable asset to our team.”

Clark and the Steelers were unable to agree on a new contract prior to the start of free agency. The eighth-year veteran is free to shop himself around, and it looks like the Steelers will wait to see what Clark fetches on the open market before countering with an offer that could keep him in Pittsburgh.

In Clark’s case, don’t rule out a similar situation as with what happened last year after the Jets made an offer to guard Chris Kemoeatu.

The Steelers didn’t match it but they came close enough to what the Jets were offering that Kemoeatu signed a four-year deal to stay in Pittsburgh.

If Clark, who has been a starter since signing with the Steelers in 2006, does go elsewhere, it would leave a significant — if not gaping — hole on the back end of the defense.

Starks had an interesting take on what the Steelers should do if Clark doesn’t come back.

“You don’t want to put a rookie back there with Troy (Polamalu) because that’s going to be a tough transition for any rookie to make so you’re going to have to get a veteran safety to come in and fill that void,” Starks told SIRIUS. “And also, you look at the defensive back position, we still need another young corner that is consistent and can play that position on the defensive side of the ball.”
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Max Starks weighs in on Ryan Clark situation

well we did let deshea walk, so it would make sense that you want to get another young corner...

Legend

User Info Menu

We won't pay Clark the $$$ he wants. So, he will either sign on the cheap or move on. I prefer he move on if he won't sign reasonably. We will definitely bring in a vet and draft a FS very early...rounds one or two.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe Max should give some of his $$$ back and we could sign Clark to a nice contract

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark looked silly last year only when he was on the field with TC, Gay, and 2 rookies. He is steady but not spectacular. I dont think we need him to be spectacular, but we do need his consistency. If we lose Ryan Clark, the only Ss remaining are Troy and Mundy. Its not so easy to just go out and get a veteran that will work into your system. We will be in a position where need that veteran AND have to draft a quality prospect.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they don't address possibly losing Clark this D is in deep trouble.

The fact that Troy won't play an entire season shows that this secondary is majorly exposed.

IF the Jets can have Revis and Cromartie the Steelers can step somewhere. They need a veteran CB or safety. If not, I see another disappointing season especially if Ben has more drama and is proving himself to be a douchebag.

Legend

User Info Menu

Clark should only be resigned on the Steelers' terms. I would like him to return but not paying anything near what he is asking for. He showed that Troy makes him better than he is.

Starks is right in that a rookie Safety IS NOT the answer. I would love if they considered Darren Sharper.

Of course you need another rookie CB. Gay may not be the long term answer (Burnett will be better) and next year is Ike's last year of his contract. I would want a veteran like Leigh Bodden as my first option to replace Gay.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Clark should only be resigned on the Steelers' terms. I would like him to return but not paying anything near what he is asking for. He showed that Troy makes him better than he is.

Starks is right in that a rookie Safety IS NOT the answer. I would love if they considered Darren Sharper.

Of course you need another rookie CB. Gay may not be the long term answer (Burnett will be better) and next year is Ike's last year of his contract. I would want a veteran like Leigh Bodden as my first option to replace Gay.
    I think the Steelers will need to at least take a look at FA for DB. Even if they do nothing with it, they owe themselves the look to see if they can get a player of value.

I like Max's take here. OV, you know I dig in to Fatt Maxx A LOT. But he does have a good head on his shoulders and understands the needs of the team. He's also not afraid to let his view point be known. I might give a rookie S a bit more of a chance playing next to Troy, but not much.

Leigh Bodden would be a great add here, too. For all the teams he's played for, he hasn't played for a team with as much front-of-the-house support as he would have for the Steelers. And the Steelers still have needs up front. But what we have already is better than anything else he's been surrounded with. Bodden is also an insurance policy against a defection by Ike.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

I think the Steelers will need to at least take a look at FA for DB. Even if they do nothing with it, they owe themselves the look to see if they can get a player of value.

I like Max's take here. OV, you know I dig in to Fatt Maxx A LOT. But he does have a good head on his shoulders and understands the needs of the team. He's also not afraid to let his view point be known. I might give a rookie S a bit more of a chance playing next to Troy, but not much.

Leigh Bodden would be a great add here, too. For all the teams he's played for, he hasn't played for a team with as much front-of-the-house support as he would have for the Steelers. And the Steelers still have needs up front. But what we have already is better than anything else he's been surrounded with. Bodden is also an insurance policy against a defection by Ike.

I like Bodden also, but he is most likely out of the Steelers' price range.

Texans | Bodden to visit

Sun, 07 Mar 2010

John McClain, of The Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are going to bring free-agent CB Leigh Bodden (Patriots) in for a visit. According to McClain, Bodden wants a lot of money and the Texans may not be willing to commit unless his price comes down.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

I like Bodden also, but he is most likely out of the Steelers' price range.

Texans | Bodden to visit

Sun, 07 Mar 2010

John McClain, of The Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are going to bring free-agent CB Leigh Bodden (Patriots) in for a visit. According to McClain, Bodden wants a lot of money and the Texans may not be willing to commit unless his price comes down.
    Well, if we're letting Clark explore his options then we need to be in play for someone. Expecting a rookie to replace Clark is a foolish idea. Bodden is just about where Ike is in all-around ability with the exception of having better hands.

I also didn't say anything about Sharper. But he would be a great add as well and would be an upgrade over Clark, even with his age.

We do as well as just about anyone when it comes to building with the draft. Could we do better? Sure. But even if our drafts were always home runs, we'd still need to explore the FA market. With so little real value at CB in the first 50 picks, the Steelers really need to explore the FA option at that position. Our alternatives are either still too green or not yet on the team since they need to be drafted first.

It would be nice if we didn't go on the cheap this time around for our secondary. If it takes a little more to get Bodden or Sharper done, so be it. Sign either one of them and draft their replacement this year in the 3rd or 4th where there is some fairly good value.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!