I find the last paragraph very interesting, especially where Max says we need a veteran FS if we don't re-sign Clark AND another CB...even he doesn't think the current CBs on the roster can cut it!
Starks weighs in on Clark situation
The Press Box - March 5th, 2010
Offensive tackle Max Starks all but lobbied the Steelers to re-sign free safety Ryan Clark during an interview with SIRIUS NFL Radio Thursday night.
“Ryan was a leader in more ways than one,” Starks told the station. “We all know his accolades on the field and what he brings to the table as just a dominating safety that just delivers devastating blows but as a veteran in the locker room he is just an invaluable asset to our team.”
Clark and the Steelers were unable to agree on a new contract prior to the start of free agency. The eighth-year veteran is free to shop himself around, and it looks like the Steelers will wait to see what Clark fetches on the open market before countering with an offer that could keep him in Pittsburgh.
In Clark’s case, don’t rule out a similar situation as with what happened last year after the Jets made an offer to guard Chris Kemoeatu.
The Steelers didn’t match it but they came close enough to what the Jets were offering that Kemoeatu signed a four-year deal to stay in Pittsburgh.
If Clark, who has been a starter since signing with the Steelers in 2006, does go elsewhere, it would leave a significant — if not gaping — hole on the back end of the defense.
Starks had an interesting take on what the Steelers should do if Clark doesn’t come back.
“You don’t want to put a rookie back there with Troy (Polamalu) because that’s going to be a tough transition for any rookie to make so you’re going to have to get a veteran safety to come in and fill that void,” Starks told SIRIUS. “And also, you look at the defensive back position, we still need another young corner that is consistent and can play that position on the defensive side of the ball.”