Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All that wasted money!

Legend

User Info Menu

All that wasted money!

I just don't understand some roster moves. Why are we spending money on the likes of Spaeth and Sweed when there are pressing needs. My guess is that the money these two lock up can be put towards a couple of above average CBs or a dominant lineman.

I'm not the capologist that some of you are, but this is good money for what return?

There has to be more guys on this roster who are not giving a good ROI.

I just don't get it.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: All that wasted money!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I just don't understand some roster moves. Why are we spending money on the likes of Spaeth and Sweed when there are pressing needs. My guess is that the money these two lock up can be put towards a couple of above average CBs or a dominant lineman.

I'm not the capologist that some of you are, but this is good money for what return?

There has to be more guys on this roster who are not giving a good ROI.

I just don't get it.
    We are tendering them because if you just let them walk you have holes that you have fill via the draft or free agency. Either way you are spending money and by tendering them you may get a draft pick if someone else signs them.

For all the grief that Spaeth gets he is a serviceable second TE which is what he is asked to do. he is not a great blocker byt he is adequete. Not his fault that ben doesn't play to his stregth and throw him the ball.

Sweed is still here because if he gets it together he has a very high ceiling. He is not costimng the team that much and the potential reward is very great.

You will not get a couple of adequete (we don't need adequte) CB ond will not get close to a dominant lineman for the money you pay Spaeth or Sweed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

You will not get a couple of adequete (we don't need adequte) CB ond will not get close to a dominant lineman for the money you pay Spaeth or Sweed.
    I mean the money they make combined.

OK, so not dominant, but good back up? How about the CBs? I guess the question is tough without the actual figures, but the idea is there. Sweed isn't cheap, and Spaeth doesn't add much to the winning strength.

Upside shouldn't cost you the money that could go to a person who is producing now. Wallace is a great example. We pay Sweed more, right? I just don't get it.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This team has plenty of back-up caliber O-Linemen. My rough estimate would put the number somewhere around 11 of them. Sweed+Spaeth come no where near the money needed to get a quality starter, which is what this team needs. However...with no cap...who really cares about the savings. Just go get the players.

I can understand why the Steelers are imposing a cap on themselves. It's smart business to not dig yourself into a hole should the cap return in a year or two. However, with a lockout year looming and a TON of older players on this team making some big money, I think spending some big-time bank on a really good young lineman or corner is totally worth it. By the time the lockout is over and a cap structure is back in place, after not having played for a year, those old guys aren't going to be very useful. Cut three or four of them and the cap is no longer an issue.

With such an uncertain future I'd lay everything on the line to win a Super Bowl this year and figure the rest out when you get there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    This team has plenty of back-up caliber O-Linemen. My rough estimate would put the number somewhere around 11 of them. Sweed+Spaeth come no where near the money needed to get a quality starter, which is what this team needs. However...with no cap...who really cares about the savings. Just go get the players.

I can understand why the Steelers are imposing a cap on themselves. It's smart business to not dig yourself into a hole should the cap return in a year or two. However, with a lockout year looming and a TON of older players on this team making some big money, I think spending some big-time bank on a really good young lineman or corner is totally worth it. By the time the lockout is over and a cap structure is back in place, after not having played for a year, those old guys aren't going to be very useful. Cut three or four of them and the cap is no longer an issue.

With such an uncertain future I'd lay everything on the line to win a Super Bowl this year and figure the rest out when you get there.
    Sweed and Spaeth will make a total of about 2 million this season. 2 million won't get you one decent player on the FA market, certainly not a dominant linemen.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is tiny money for these players who aren't guaranteed a roster spot. The 53 man roster spots are more valuable to the Steelers than the $2M.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock

Sweed and Spaeth will make a total of about 2 million this season. 2 million won't get you one decent player on the FA market, certainly not a dominant linemen.
    Isn't that pretty much just what I said?

The money potentially saved from Sweed and Spaeth doesn't mean jack squat. There's no salary cap this year. Money saved from anybody being cut doesn't matter. If a player can help the team for the next few years go pay the man and make a run at a Super Bowl before the lockout happens and all of the old players on the roster become older and useless after a year without games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=D Rock]
    Quote Originally Posted by "D Rock":oje8184o

Isn't that pretty much just what I said?

The money potentially saved from Sweed and Spaeth doesn't mean jack squat. There's no salary cap this year. Money saved from anybody being cut doesn't matter. If a player can help the team for the next few years go pay the man and make a run at a Super Bowl before the lockout happens and all of the old players on the roster become older and useless after a year without games.[/quoteje8184o]

yes. it is. i meant to quote djfan. sorry.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

yes. it is. i meant to quote djfan. sorry.

I'll take the intended quote.

I have long said that you all know more than me on the salaries, etc., but I thought Sweed made a lot more than that. If not, I guess I understand.

It just irks that guys like Wallace get lesser money (now I'm not sure if that's true) and produce, while some monied guys contribute nothing.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone know what Sweed is doing in the off-season, where he's living, is he working out, etc.?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!