Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All that wasted money!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: All that wasted money!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    yes. it is. i meant to quote djfan. sorry.

I'll take the intended quote.

I have long said that you all know more than me on the salaries, etc., but I thought Sweed made a lot more than that. If not, I guess I understand.

It just irks that guys like Wallace get lesser money (now I'm not sure if that's true) and produce, while some monied guys contribute nothing.
    Rookie salaries are essentially slotted based on draft positon (actually, the signing bonus is based on draft position...rookies tend to make minimum yearly salaries). So, yes, a 3rd rounder like Wallace makes less than a 2nd rounder like Sweed, regardless of actual on-field production. And a 2nd rounder like Woodley makes less than a 1st rounder like Timmons, even though Woodley made a Pro Bowl and Timmons is not on that level. The first 4 years of a player's career is basically an audition to determine how much they can get in the all-important second contract. In the mean time, all of the guys working on their initial rookie contract are considered to be cheap labor by comparison to the vast majority of their veteran counterparts.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Part of the problem is we have drafted somewhat poorly this past half decade which has forced the Steelers to resign players over 30 which is against their normal mode of operation.

And, I wouldn't just look at the 2 or 3 million you could save by replacing Spaeth & Sweed and say you couldn't get a quality player for that much. I would look at it like you could take that 2 or 3 million saved from those two being replaced, and add that to the 4 million or whatever it was you would of been comfortable paying Clark, giving you 6 or 7 million to find a starting FS......or 6 or 7 million to upgrade another position.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I have long said that you all know more than me on the salaries, etc., but I thought Sweed made a lot more than that. If not, I guess I understand.

It just irks that guys like Wallace get lesser money (now I'm not sure if that's true) and produce, while some monied guys contribute nothing.
    Rookie salaries are essentially slotted based on draft positon (actually, the signing bonus is based on draft position...rookies tend to make minimum yearly salaries). So, yes, a 3rd rounder like Wallace makes less than a 2nd rounder like Sweed, regardless of actual on-field production. And a 2nd rounder like Woodley makes less than a 1st rounder like Timmons, even though Woodley made a Pro Bowl and Timmons is not on that level. The first 4 years of a player's career is basically an audition to determine how much they can get in the all-important second contract. In the mean time, all of the guys working on their initial rookie contract are considered to be cheap labor by comparison to the vast majority of their veteran counterparts.
    This is one of the reasons the Steelers like to build through the draft. The mix of veteran and young talent + the mix of veteran and young salaries makes for a very powerful and consistent combination to a winning football team. The Snyder's of the league just seem to have a very hard time comprehending this and end up way overpaying FAs and but leave themselves woefully weak in key positions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

This is one of the reasons the Steelers like to build through the draft. The mix of veteran and young talent + the mix of veteran and young salaries makes for a very powerful and consistent combination to a winning football team. The Snyder's of the league just seem to have a very hard time comprehending this and end up way overpaying FAs and but leave themselves woefully weak in key positions.
    This also touches upon my above post. The Steelers typically let their 30+ players walk when they become FA's and replace them with draft picks. The past few years, however, we have been resigning our 30+ year old players which hurts you when you go to resign your younger players that are hitting their time to get big contracts like Timmons, Woodley, Holmes, Colon, etc and filling holes via FA for positions like backup S, RB, Nickel, Backup ILB, Backup OLB. So it isn't just signing FA's from outside your organization that can hurt you. Signing those on the downside of their career from your own team can also hurt you. Especially while working with like a fifth of your cap room going to one player (Ben). Steelers don't have much experience building a team while dealing with a franchise QB's salary cap hit.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

A QB taking up a fifth of the cap? Last I checked, Ben's deal was paying him in the neighborhood of $12 million per, and the last cap was over $120 million. I don't have a Ph.D in mathematics or anything, but that appears to be more like a tenth to me.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.