Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

Fri Feb 26, 2010

Steelers trying to extend free safety Clark
    By Mark J. Miller

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark can become an unrestricted free agent in one week and the Steelers would like to keep that from happening.

Now that the team has nose tackle Casey Hampton(notes) signed to a three-year, $21.3 million deal and have franchised kicker Jeff Reed the attention is now on getting Clark under contract, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

For those of you hoping the deal doesn't get done so your team can sign one of the league's top free safeties, don't bother. The 30-year-old Clark doesn't appear to want to test free agency and is apparently offering himself at a discount of sorts to the Steelers.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

If that is true, very cool. I'd sign him at a discount and then take Chad Jones in Rd. 2 or Major Wright in Rd. 3 as his eventual replacement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.
    It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"!

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=NW Steeler]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2s4jwu90
    It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"![/quote:2s4jwu90]

my prediction is that the Steelers will end up letting Clark and his agent test the free agent waters, there is just too much of a discrepancy between Ryan Clark's true value and what his agent thinks he's worth.

Steelers | Talks with Clark going slow

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    If that is true, very cool. I'd sign him at a discount and then take Chad Jones in Rd. 2 or Major Wright in Rd. 3 as his eventual replacement.
    [youtube:3ieu83su]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KDVz3jzyjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KDVz3jzyjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:3ieu83su]

Legend

User Info Menu

No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.
    Yep, and people will call the FS we draft in the first 3 rounds a bust when he doesn't start in the first game. They'll also say that we don't "coach up" young players just because they can't see whatever the development the player has at practice.

Starter

User Info Menu

[quote=hawaiiansteel]
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":1ssjgffk
    It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"!

my prediction is that the Steelers will end up letting Clark and his agent test the free agent waters, there is just too much of a discrepancy between Ryan Clark's true value and what his agent thinks he's worth.

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.[/quote:1ssjgffk]

I agree here, plus I believe that you could likely plug one of the following in

DeShea
    Mundy
    K. Lewis
    Carter (this pains me to say)
    Madison

if only for a year a season and have greater position flexibility and less cap space tied up.

Would the team prefer Ryan Clark over those options?

Almost certainly. But what is the opportunity cost - risk / reward of paying Clark that $3-$4mil p/yr vs. the other scenarios???

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=ANPSTEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":1jf37z4r

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.
    I agree here, plus I believe that you could likely plug one of the following in

DeShea
    Mundy
    K. Lewis
    Carter (this pains me to say)
    Madison

if only for a year a season and have greater position flexibility and less cap space tied up.

Would the team prefer Ryan Clark over those options?

Almost certainly. But what is the opportunity cost - risk / reward of paying Clark that $3-$4mil p/yr vs. the other scenarios???[/quote:1jf37z4r]

i beg of you, PLEASE no more Tyrone Carter...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha