Legend

User Info Menu

Re: PREDICT THE STEELERS FIRST THREE PICKS

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Round 1 - Sean Weatherspoon ILB Missouri

Round 2 - Nate Allen FS S. Florida

Round 3 - Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
    That #3 is a Steelers pick....That's for sure. I say you nailed this posts purpose with Gerhart.

thanks, i love hard-nosed guys like Gerhart...

Is Stanford’s Gerhart overlooked in the RB race?

Matt Bowen, The National Football Post

One problem with the combine hype that comes out of Indianapolis is that we tend to overlook certain players who had good, but not head-turning workouts.

Players like Stanford RB Toby Gerhart.

He may not be flashy, but Stanford RB Toby Gerhart should not be overlooked by teams on draft day.

Not a flashy player, and not a running back who is going to make you look twice after 40-times are posted like we saw with C.J. Spiller of Clemson and Jahvid Best of California. But, his workout was good enough. And for a player his size (6-1, 235), running the 40 in a time of 4.53 is impressive.

Gerhart is a downhill runner that does have an explosive enough first step to move through the hole and get to the second level on Sundays against NFL defenses. We tend to look past a guy like Gerhart due to the fact that he isn’t sexy and isn’t the type of NFL running back who can press the edge, plant and run past NFL defensive backs.

But, he is still a great pick in the middle rounds and could be the type of player that has staying power at the next level.

Although he wasn’t used prolifically at Stanford in terms of catching the ball out of the backfield, he does have the hands to get it done at the next level, along with the ability to pass protect — without a doubt the most challenging aspect of the NFL game for rookie backs.

Think of where he fits. Teams that utilize the downhill power game and teams that spend the first week of training camp perfecting the basic off-tackle running game — because that is how they move the ball. Can you see Gerhart coming downhill in the Lead Strong and the Lead Open? What about Seattle, San Diego or Pittsburgh? I could see him in any of these three backfields as a rookie.

I can, just as I can see him thriving in an offense where he plays a role that gives him five to 10 carries a game behind a No. 1 back.

NFP scout Wes Bunting has Gerhart ranked as the eighth running back prospect among rookies. I think it is a fair grade, but if I am in need of a rookie back — and have other needs in the first two rounds — I keep Gerhart high up on the draft board come April.

And, hope to steal him in the third round.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1) Weatherspoon
    2) Vlad Ducasse
    3) Best CB on their Board

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    We will probably lose a G (Stapes), a RB (FWP), and two S (Clark and TC ). There is a bit of a glut at G (although none are outstanding) so that doesnt leave us short. Please no more Samoan maulers. Safety is a big concern though and we cant afford to miss. For this reason, I select...

1-Earl Thomas

Im not as knowledgable on draft prospect as most, so I will scam someone elses thoughts on the second pick...

2-Brandon Spikes (hope he does slide)

Finally, FWP is prob out and we are short a real prospect at backup RB. One that could improve our tough running would be a big bonus. Art 2 has identified the running game as an area that needs improvement. So with that in mind, I select...

3-Toby Gerhart
    i concur
    and would be happy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Spoon, Odrick, Thomas.....hmmmm.....I'd be happy with any of those three, plus I would love to get Gerhart in Rd. 3, but I don't think he will be there when we pick. I'm not really sure about Sean Lee still being there either, but I think we definitely need someone to replace Farrior. I'd go with Chad Jones in Rd. 2, but I can't get over the the Bench Press debacle.

1) Jared Odrick DE
    2) Nate Allen FS
    3) Sean Lee ILB

Starter

User Info Menu

I'll just say that i'd like for it at this point to be,....

1. Taylor Mays FS
    2. Corey Wootton DT
    4. Micah Johnson ILB

But it will likely be something that i'll despise (at least in round one. lol) like,..

1. Mike Iupati
    2. Toby Gerhart RB
    3. Jerome Murphy CB
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

No one is overlooking the first white RB to almost wn the Heisman since Army and ND were powerhouses. He will not make it past the 2nd. Dude is a beast.

I think the question with Gerhart is durability. Like Tebow, Gerhart isn't running around defenders.. he runs through them. You can't run through NFL defenses for long unless you have the footwork to make them miss as well.

My question to the "draft Gerhart" fans. WTF are you guys smoking? Where does he fit in? What part of Steeler football does Gerhart represent? The new Steelers or the old Steelers?

I love the kid too and if we were smashmouth, needed a big RB or if it was 1987 I would be on board. I don't see where he fits on our O... Mend is our 3rd down and short yardage back.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    No one is overlooking the first white RB to almost wn the Heisman since Army and ND were powerhouses. He will not make it past the 2nd. Dude is a beast.

I think the question with Gerhart is durability. Like Tebow, Gerhart isn't running around defenders.. he runs through them. You can't run through NFL defenses for long unless you have the footwork to make them miss as well.

My question to the "draft Gerhart" fans. WTF are you guys smoking? Where does he fit in? What part of Steeler football does Gerhart represent? The new Steelers or the old Steelers?

I love the kid too and if we were smashmouth, needed a big RB or if it was 1987 I would be on board. I don't see where he fits on our O... Mend is our 3rd down and short yardage back.

Gerhart is actually far more talented than most give him credit for,...he's a true between the the tackles "throwback" runner. He's been exceptionally productive as such at EVERY level of football throughout his life. I don't dislike like Mendenhall,...but to be honest the kid does a considerable amount of "B button Elton John Tiny Dancing" for a 3rd down, between the tackles, short yardage back. LOL
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

kid does a considerable amount of "B button Elton John Tiny Dancing"
    Hold me closer Tony Danza...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll be honest.. I never heard of Tony Gerhart before the second half of the season his last year. I watch a ton of college football and I heard nothing about this guy.

When I saw him I was impressed... dude is a monster.

I don't think he fits into what we do though.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

If what you guys want is a short yardage 'pounder', but don't want to pay 2nd round prices, why not look at Kentucky FB John Conner?

When not fighting Terminators, he's a classic 'throwback' FB- catches, runs, blocks- and all at about Jerome Bettis' size.

Dual benefit- you can put him on the field at the same time as Rashard Mendenhall- just play him at FB.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A[/url]
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE