Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PREDICT THE STEELERS FIRST THREE PICKS

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: PREDICT THE STEELERS FIRST THREE PICKS

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I'll be honest.. I never heard of Tony Gerhart before the second half of the season his last year. I watch a ton of college football and I heard nothing about this guy.
    No not true. I was talking him up on the Trib two years ago. And if after you saw him you don’t think he fits what the Steelers do then it probably didn’t matter if you had heard about him our not…

He is the prototypical Steeler RB. Believe it.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I don't get Taylor Mays as a FS. I've watched him play a lot and I don't see how folks could see him as an effective FS in the pros. Now, as an in-the-box SS or 4-3 OLB, I think he could be very good.

What I think the Steelers will do...

1. Weatherspoon
    2. Matt Tennant
    3. Jerome Murphy

What I would do...

1. Find a way to get Earl Thomas (even if we have to trade up a bit).
    2. Best Corner available
    3. LB or OL (if we don't have to trade the pick to get Thomas)
    I would agree Mays might be better suited for SS because of his run support ability and closing speed going forward. But having him in the box and asking him to bail on a pass, plays right into his fault. His average hips combined with his explosiveness & straight line speed might actually make him better playing form the FS spot in the Steelers defense. He can run support from there and give you great range from his CF spot. Watching him at the combine, I could make this comparison. Mays might be as fluid as Clark in changing direction. Mays is a big hitter like Clark but Mays has far more range than Clark. That being said, Clark has a better nose for the ball. There is upside for Mays...But that is the gamble. As far as OLB in the pros...Mays won't start there for years and may never see 1 start. He can not take on OT at the point of attack. He is not built for that. Height-weight doesn't mean a thing. Mays will get hooked by TEs and driven into the "nickel seats" when they run at him. Mays would have to put years in the weight room on his lower body to even compete. That will take speed off and that is too much of a project.

This is not about who we want...Just how we think things will go down. I have several players I would rather than Mays. I would like Thomas over Mays if I had to choose. My first choice is Spoon. This is just how I see the first three picks going down now after the combine and with Clark moving on. I think the Steelers feel Mundy is servicable enough for them to take this shot. Not what I want to see...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If what you guys want is a short yardage 'pounder', but don't want to pay 2nd round prices, why not look at Kentucky FB John Conner?

When not fighting Terminators, he's a classic 'throwback' FB- catches, runs, blocks- and all at about Jerome Bettis' size.

Dual benefit- you can put him on the field at the same time as Rashard Mendenhall- just play him at FB.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A[/url]
    BA will never allow that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I don't get Taylor Mays as a FS. I've watched him play a lot and I don't see how folks could see him as an effective FS in the pros. Now, as an in-the-box SS or 4-3 OLB, I think he could be very good.

What I think the Steelers will do...

1. Weatherspoon
    2. Matt Tennant
    3. Jerome Murphy

What I would do...

1. Find a way to get Earl Thomas (even if we have to trade up a bit).
    2. Best Corner available
    3. LB or OL (if we don't have to trade the pick to get Thomas)
    I would agree Mays might be better suited for SS because of his run support ability and closing speed going forward. But having him in the box and asking him to bail on a pass, plays right into his fault. His average hips combined with his explosiveness & straight line speed might actually make him better playing form the FS spot in the Steelers defense. He can run support from there and give you great range from his CF spot. Watching him at the combine, I could make this comparison. Mays might be as fluid as Clark in changing direction. Mays is a big hitter like Clark but Mays has far more range than Clark. That being said, Clark has a better nose for the ball. There is upside for Mays...But that is the gamble. As far as OLB in the pros...Mays won't start there for years and may never see 1 start. He can not take on OT at the point of attack. He is not built for that. Height-weight doesn't mean a thing. Mays will get hooked by TEs and driven into the "nickel seats" when they run at him. Mays would have to put years in the weight room on his lower body to even compete. That will take speed off and that is too much of a project.

This is not about who we want...Just how we think things will go down. I have several players I would rather than Mays. I would like Thomas over Mays if I had to choose. My first choice is Spoon. This is just how I see the first three picks going down now after the combine and with Clark moving on. I think the Steelers feel Mundy is servicable enough for them to take this shot. Not what I want to see...
    Being that the strong safety lines up on the strong side and has to run support and blitz like a linebacker I would agree with you. That's what Mays does well...that's where he excells.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If what you guys want is a short yardage 'pounder', but don't want to pay 2nd round prices, why not look at Kentucky FB John Conner?

When not fighting Terminators, he's a classic 'throwback' FB- catches, runs, blocks- and all at about Jerome Bettis' size.

Dual benefit- you can put him on the field at the same time as Rashard Mendenhall- just play him at FB.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A[/url]
    There is a FB just waiting for us to pick him up...Owen Schmitt.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"