Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insights on how the Steelers approach the #1 Pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Insights on how the Steelers approach the #1 Pick

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Just racking my rapidly aging mind to try to get some insights into what we might anticipate from Colbert et al based on history.

1. They seem to take the highest rated player available on their board regardless of position and don't focus on "perceived "positions of need with the Round 1 pick but they seem to in Rounds 2 and 3.
    2. Two of the past three years they took 20 year old underclassmen.
    3. They don't take OL in Round 1 or at least have not in a very long time (2002, Kendall Simmons). If you remeber Colbert's end of season interview he went out of his way to detail they OL they have and the rounds drafted and they won a Super Bowl without a Round 1 pick.
    4. Over the past 10 drafts they have taken 6 offensive players and 4 defensive players. Not enough of a difference to conclude a preference.

So what does this tell us? Expect to be surprised on the the first night of the draft.
    I think you are on to something....not sure what, but something.

BPA, in the Steelers eyes, at #18 will be the next Steeler. Unless, of course, they move up to get someone, like they did for Troy.

Now I'm really confused........I liked my idea of the draft before I read this post...thanks a lot.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    It seems to me that things have changed since Tomlin arrived. I can't fully articulate it, but we seem to telegraph some early picks (or players that we hope to pick) and then come out of left field in the middle (trading up for Sep, Spaeth, etc).

this seems to be the case-

of the last three picks the PG was correct on:

Timmons
    &
    Ziggy

I think they, like I did, felt that Jonathan Stewart would be the back to fall- and thus the pick. As soon as Stewart was picked by the Panthers- I was certain we were going for Mendenhall- as long as he got by Dallas.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

Do you get the impression that some posters will be sitting in the corner whimpering like little puppies if Spiller is still on the board at #18?????
    I can only imagine the mayhem at house Oviedo, should Spiller be there at 18.

You'll be like little Johnny at the end of the line for the Ice Cream truck, hoping the ice cream man still has your favorite left!

and- I'm not sure which would be worse to bear

The ensuing self flagellation, if they pick him :P

or

The TV remote throwing fit if they dont.

/jk

No I will be calm in my typical all knowing way.

It will be when I see him in black and gold ripping off 3-4 returns his rookie year for TDs and adding another 3-4 TDs as a rusher and receiver. Then I'll get excited
    Just don't throw the remote when the offense can't outscore the other team as the defense collapses in the 4th quarter over and over even though Troy and Aaron are playing. Farrior will be a year older and a step slower, not sure what we have with Timmons playing inside yet and it appears that Clark may not be a Steeler, unless it's at an extremely friendly salary.

Can Spiller play center?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Can Spiller play center?

Pappy

I think you're onto something here ...

the Steelers should draft Spiller.

Pick up LT, Thomas Jones, & TO as Free Agents..

Next year- the year of the A 11 offense in the NFL, baby!!!
    [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense[/url]

I smell championship!!

woooooo!