Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After the Combine: DB Risers and Fallers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: After the Combine: DB Risers and Fallers

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    The "suspect" tag would come from the lack of int's in his career.
    Mays had an INT in the Senior Bowl I think...

Earl Thomas had 8 INT's but when you look closer he had 1 INT against a ranked team it Texas Tech throws 50+ times a game.

He did have 2 against Oklahoma the year before though...

My point though is 8 INT's against teams when the average margin of victory was 23 points needs to be put in perspective.
    My fear with Thomas is this...........Bob Sanders. An undersized safety who will struggle with injuries at the next level.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    It's all in one's perspective- I think we need a CB, a 1st round caliber, Derrelle Revis, type, CB. Some say, well we invested 2 picks last year for CB's. Well, if they were all-pro type CB's they would've made an impact already. Those 2 guys we drafted last year will be fine as backups.
    They made as much an impact as 3rd and 5th Round draft picks that Troy made as a rookie as a Round 1 pick. You logic is seriously flawed. LeBeau doesn't play rookies. His problem not the players.

So you would have assumed that Troy wasn't an "All Pro type" after his rookie year. How has that worked out?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":196q320r

Earl Thomas had 8 INT's but when you look closer he had 1 INT against a ranked team it Texas Tech throws 50+ times a game.

My point though is 8 INT's against teams when the average margin of victory was 23 points needs to be put in perspective.
    My fear with Thomas is this...........Bob Sanders. An undersized safety who will struggle with injuries at the next level.[/quote:196q320r]

I agree.. Thomas looks a little small. The Haden comparison is spot on regarding obvious passing situations...

He can catch, which is a step in the right direction but I'm concerned the competition he faced my have padded his stats.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":es7wkoi3

My fear with Thomas is this...........Bob Sanders. An undersized safety who will struggle with injuries at the next level.[/quote:es7wkoi3]

sanders is a SS that plays in the box.

thomas would be a FS that plays centerfield. plus, he's showed up at the combine at 208 LBs

to me 8 INTs means he has the hands to hold onto the ball. instead of seeing them clang off the hands of clark, ike, burnett this year that cost us a W and as it turns out a playoff spot

Starter

User Info Menu

[quote=NJ-STEELER][quote="Dee Dub":3pccz2l5]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":3pccz2l5

My fear with Thomas is this...........Bob Sanders. An undersized safety who will struggle with injuries at the next level.[/quote:3pccz2l5]

sanders is a SS that plays in the box.

thomas would be a FS that plays centerfield. plus, he's showed up at the combine at 208 LBs

to me 8 INTs means he has the hands to hold onto the ball. instead of seeing them clang off the hands of clark, ike, burnett this year that cost us a W and as it turns out a playoff spot[/quote:3pccz2l5]

Actually NJ,..Sanders in fact plays FS. But,..he does so with such a level of physicality to go along with his ball skills that one could mistake him for a SS. But rest assured,...it's highly unlikely that anyone would ever make such a mistake in terms of Thomas. He's very athletic,....but not very physical at all.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Thomas showed he can catch.. it's who he was intercepting that concerns me.
    Not saying Thomas won't pan out... but the 8 INT's don't convnce me he is our guy.

Can he stop the run? Is he disciplined? Will he be lost in our scheme? These are the things I want to know about Thomas...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Thomas showed he can catch.. it's who he was intercepting that concerns me.
    Not saying Thomas won't pan out... but the 8 INT's don't convnce me he is our guy.

Can he stop the run? Is he disciplined? Will he be lost in our scheme? These are the things I want to know about Thomas...
    You are such a Doubting Thomas.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":1lg8wmap

My fear with Thomas is this...........Bob Sanders. An undersized safety who will struggle with injuries at the next level.[/quote:1lg8wmap]

As a free safety won't he be used in coverage more than at the LOS? He will certainly have run support responsibilities, but they aren't as demanding as a SS, correct? I don't think you can pass on a guy because you believe he may be injury prone. During his college career he wasn't injury prone, at least, I haven't heard that he was. He's a good talent and it wouldn't be prudent to pass on him because of what MAY happen.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

in the yearly yearbook i get (lindy's)

they list sanders as the 2nd best SS and bethea as the 4th best FS

FWIW both are listed at a weight lower then what thomas checked in at the combine

incidently, so is troy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    in the yearly yearbook i get (lindy's)

they list sanders as the 2nd best SS and bethea as the 4th best FS

FWIW both are listed at a weight lower then what thomas checked in at the combine

incidently, so is troy
    And two of the three you mention have been plagued by injuries for the past three seasons, e.g. Sanders and Troy

I think that is a legitimate concern with Thomas
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"