Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agent says Clark still awaits offer from club

Legend

User Info Menu

Agent says Clark still awaits offer from club

post gazette

Ryan Clark likely will become an unrestricted free agent Friday, his agent believes, and may do so without receiving an offer from the Steelers.

Joel Turner told the Post-Gazette Tuesday that "If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say the probability of him being a free agent is greater than him being signed."

Turner began negotiating for a new contract for the Steelers' starting free safety one year ago and said he has never received an offer. With two days left before Clark can begin free negotiations with other NFL teams, the sides are nowhere near a deal.

"They haven't put actual dollar figures on paper," Turner said. "We've put together several different proposals of various levels and at this point, it's probably going to be a test of wills."

Clark told ESPN Radio 1250 that even though the Steelers identified him as a "priority" he does not feel that way because of how the negotiations have gone. He pointed to a number of Steelers who signed contract extensions last year as well as the new contract reached last week with Casey Hampton and the franchise tag placed on Jeff Reed.

"I haven't had an offer yet," Clark told the radio station's The Drive show.

"Nothing put to paper or said verbally. We want to get this deal done."

Steelers executives, including director of football operations Kevin Colbert, announced their three priorities to sign before free agency began were Clark, Hampton and Reed.

"You hear so much about being a priority and things like that," Clark said. "I mean, if you think about it, there have been a number of guys who have signed a contract and I haven't been offered -- Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel, Casey [Hampton], Jeff. So it's not like one guy got signed and the well ran dry and there was nothing they could do. It hasn't been that. If you think about priorities and prioritizing, obviously I was way down on the list as they go."

Clark said he is not asking for an average of $6 1/2 or $7 million annually in a new contract. Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu signed a new five-year contract in 2007 worth $33 million or $6.6 million annually.

"I know how much Troy makes and I know how much respect I have for Troy as a player and how much I love him as a friend," Clark said. "I don't see myself as Troy's [equal], I don't see myself having to get that same type of pay. So it's not a situation, 'Oh, you have to pay me how Troy's getting paid.' I would be a fool to do that. "

Clark complained that he is not getting the same kind of "love" shown other players who signed new deals with the Steelers.

"They showed their love and commitment to Jeff even though it's only one year, $2.8 million [and] Keisel, Miller, Hartwig, all these guys have been shown some type of love that says 'You know what, we want you here, we're willing to work with you to get you here.' I haven't gotten it."

Clark reiterated that he and his family want to remain in Pittsburgh but that it is out of his hands. His agent said while there have been no offers from the ballclub, they have talked in "parameters."

"They've talked with us almost ad nauseum, and it's not like parameters haven't exchanged hands," Turner said. "That's how you negotiate. But obviously at this point, we have different values than the organization. I feel he's the best free safety out there and, if the Steelers do not sign him, it will leave a gaping hole in their defense."

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10062/1039776-66.stm#ixzz0h5gAwuRM"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10062/10 ... z0h5gAwuRM[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Agent says Clark still awaits offer from club

Ryan Clark is not the best FS in the NFL. He was exposed as an average at best safety in Troy's absence. Instead of being part of the solution when Troy got hurt, he was part of the problem.

Clark's agent is obviously setting such an unrealistically high asking price for Clark that the Steelers aren't even bothering to make a counter-proposal offer. Let Clark test the free-agency waters and if some other team wants to overpay Clark so be it. We let Chris Hope go, we'll let Ryan Clark leave too.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clark's Agent
    I feel he's the best free safety out there and, if the Steelers do not sign him, it will leave a gaping hole in their defense."
    If Ryan Clark covered a gaping hole this past season it must have been a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon. The Steeler secondary appeared to have a gaping hole with him back there this past season. I'm not sure his agent is doing him a service with that statement.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Ryan Clark is not the best FS in the NFL. He was exposed as an average at best safety in Troy's absence. Instead of being part of the solution when Troy got hurt, he was part of the problem.

Clark's agent is obviously setting such an unrealistically high asking price for Clark that the Steelers aren't even bothering to make a counter-proposal offer. Let Clark test the free-agency waters and if some other team wants to overpay Clark so be it. We let Chris Hope go, we'll let Ryan Clark leave too.
    I don't think Clark is the best FS in the NFL. I think he would probably make the top 5. He fits what the defense likes its FS to do. Can't have the best player at every position in the league. I don't believe he was "exposed" as some suggest. Just as Troy was not "exposed" when Clark was out in 2007. The tandem is what makes them a formidable pair.

I don't know what Clark's agent is asking. Maybe the Steelers are setting an unrealistically low asking price? Maybe they are offering him the league minimum? Maybe they don't have enough cap space to offer him a fair deal? Those are real possibilities. I am sure Clark thinks he deserves a fair deal. Clark may be more difficult to replace then some think if he decides to walk.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

I don't think Clark is the best FS in the NFL. I think he would probably make the top 5.
    Really?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

[img]Maybe%20they%20don't%20have%20enough%20cap%20space %20to%20offer%20him%20a%20fair%20deal?[/img]

Can't be...there is no cap.

If the Steelers don't re-sign Clark, it'll be due to either his recent health concerns, his play with Troy out of the team, the Steelers decision to draft a FS this season, or...

his agent & him are asking too much for the value the Steelers place on him, and they'll let him test the market while they interview possible replacements. Looks like the Steelers version of 'the strong arm' to get him to a deal they like.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

I don't think Clark is the best FS in the NFL. I think he would probably make the top 5.
    Really?
    You don't have to agree. The bottom line is Clark has been a good fit for the defense since he became a Steeler.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    [img]Maybe%20they%20don't%20have%20enough%20cap%20space %20to%20offer%20him%20a%20fair%20deal?[/img]

Can't be...there is no cap.

If the Steelers don't re-sign Clark, it'll be due to either his recent health concerns, his play with Troy out of the team, the Steelers decision to draft a FS this season, or...

his agent & him are asking too much for the value the Steelers place on him, and they'll let him test the market while they interview possible replacements. Looks like the Steelers version of 'the strong arm' to get him to a deal they like.
    There is a cap for the Steelers. They are not the Redskins, Cowboys, or Pats.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I personally want Clark to be retained simply for the fact that this is a talented defensive class in the draft. Clark has 2 years left in him where he could be highly productive. If they retain him before the draft, the Steelers really could stockpile talent in the BPA direction. They could get quality Ss from the second half of the draft to groom. Sign Clark...At the right price...Makes sense!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think his agent is saying he's the best FS in the NFL but the best that's OUT THERE (as a free agent)..
    even clark doesn't think he should be paid like a top 5 guy.
    and is there anyone that would rather Mundy or Carter starting? cause you know a rook won't.