Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insights on how the Steelers approach the #1 Pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Insights on how the Steelers approach the #1 Pick

Just racking my rapidly aging mind to try to get some insights into what we might anticipate from Colbert et al based on history.

1. They seem to take the highest rated player available on their board regardless of position and don't focus on "perceived "positions of need with the Round 1 pick but they seem to in Rounds 2 and 3.
    2. Two of the past three years they took 20 year old underclassmen.
    3. They don't take OL in Round 1 or at least have not in a very long time (2002, Kendall Simmons). If you remeber Colbert's end of season interview he went out of his way to detail they OL they have and the rounds drafted and they won a Super Bowl without a Round 1 pick.
    4. Over the past 10 drafts they have taken 6 offensive players and 4 defensive players. Not enough of a difference to conclude a preference.

So what does this tell us? Expect to be surprised on the the first night of the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Insights on how the Steelers approach the #1 Pick

Add this to your list- they look for players coming out of big programs with a solid body of work for the first 2, or even stretch it to 3 rounds. VERY RARELY do they select players from small programs early- at least in the Colbert era.

Rarely do they pick 'one year wonders'. They look for players with 2, or 3 years productivity, in the early rounds.

Under Tomlin, there has been a greater focus on 'athletes' during his tenure- very few unathletic players are given a look. Faster the better is generally the "Tomlin Way".
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Add this to your list- they look for players coming out of big programs with a solid body of work for the first 2, or even stretch it to 3 rounds. VERY RARELY do they select players from small programs early- at least in the Colbert era.

Rarely do they pick 'one year wonders'. They look for players with 2, or 3 years productivity, in the early rounds.

Under Tomlin, there has been a greater focus on 'athletes' during his tenure- very few unathletic players are given a look. Faster the better is generally the "Tomlin Way".
    Very good pick up on the "big program" emphasis. No Ricardo Coclough under Tomlin in Round 2. Sources of our last 10 draft picks:

Big 10: 3
    Big 12: 2
    ACC: 2
    SEC: 1
    Pac 10: 1
    MAC: 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Very wise to get the bulk of your talent from the talent heavy Big Ten.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I've got to disagree here on a couple items.

1. I don't think they take a player based solely on BPA.
    Clearly, need factors in.
    As example, Let us say- in this years draft, Sam Bradford drops to 18. Do they pick him???
    Of course not.
    Now, should CJ Spiller fall- that is a whole different situation.. :P

2. Timmons and Mendenhall were both "one year wonders" Timmons had only started one full season- essentially the same for Mendenhall.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I've got to disagree here on a couple items.

1. I don't think they take a player based solely on BPA.
    Clearly, need factors in.
    As example, Let us say- in this years draft, Sam Bradford drops to 18. Do they pick him???
    Of course not.
    Now, should CJ Spiller fall- that is a whole different situation.. :P

2. Timmons and Mendenhall were both "one year wonders" Timmons had only started one full season- essentially the same for Mendenhall.
    Timmons played in every game at FSU starting his freshman year. The only reason he was a one year starter was that Ernie Sims played the same position. But you are right he was a "one year full time starter."

Do you get the impression that some posters will be sitting in the corner whimpering like little puppies if Spiller is still on the board at #18?????

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Do you get the impression that some posters will be sitting in the corner whimpering like little puppies if Spiller is still on the board at #18?????
    I can only imagine the mayhem at house Oviedo, should Spiller be there at 18.

You'll be like little Johnny at the end of the line for the Ice Cream truck, hoping the ice cream man still has your favorite left!

and- I'm not sure which would be worse to bear

The ensuing self flagellation, if they pick him :P

or

The TV remote throwing fit if they dont.

/jk

Starter

User Info Menu

Just racking my rapidly aging mind to try to get some insights into what we might anticipate from Colbert et al based on history.

1. They seem to take the highest rated player available on their board regardless of position and don't focus on "perceived "positions of need with the Round 1 pick but they seem to in Rounds 2 and 3.
    2. Two of the past three years they took 20 year old underclassmen.
    3. They don't take OL in Round 1 or at least have not in a very long time (2002, Kendall Simmons). If you remeber Colbert's end of season interview he went out of his way to detail they OL they have and the rounds drafted and they won a Super Bowl without a Round 1 pick.
    4. Over the past 10 drafts they have taken 6 offensive players and 4 defensive players. Not enough of a difference to conclude a preference.

So what does this tell us? Expect to be surprised on the the first night of the draft.
    Everything i've read leads me to believe the Steelers FO were targeting a Center in the first round last year. When they couldn't get Mack or Wood, rather than select Olsen at 32, they gambled, selecting Hood, then tried to trade up and get Olsen in the second, which they failed to do. Rooney 'semi-busted' their ball$ recently for the sorry state of our OL. I don't think they'll make that mistake again this year. I believe they will be going after the top 1-2 rated center this year or a guard they could convert into center. Don't think for one minute this is a "Tomlin" draft. I believe Colbert and Rooney have just as much say, if not more. Remember, Rooney basically over-ruled the tenured Cowher to draft Big Ben. When the Big Dog barks he usually gets the bone.

When it comes to the Steelers, I don't think the past history really gives us a good indication of trend. We tend to go in cycles. (OL a few years, then skill players a few years, then defense a few years, etc.) The Steelers are one of those teams who are a bit unpredictable in the first round because we tend to look to the future. (I think the Timmons experiment reminded them not to reach for need). I remember when we drafted Mendy, the trends said we NEVER draft RB in the first round. Then when we drafted Hood, the trends said we NEVER draft 3-4 DE's in the first round.

As for your 'expect to be surprised' comment... I totally agree.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

I can only imagine the mayhem at house Oviedo, should Spiller be there at 18.

You'll be like little Johnny at the end of the line for the Ice Cream truck, hoping the ice cream man still has your favorite left!

and- I'm not sure which would be worse to bear

The ensuing self flagellation, if they pick him :P

or

The TV remote throwing fit if they dont.

/jk

No I will be calm in my typical all knowing way.

It will be when I see him in black and gold ripping off 3-4 returns his rookie year for TDs and adding another 3-4 TDs as a rusher and receiver. Then I'll get excited

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It seems to me that things have changed since Tomlin arrived. I can't fully articulate it, but we seem to telegraph some early picks (or players that we hope to pick) and then come out of left field in the middle (trading up for Sep, Spaeth, etc).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.