Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Haden runs a slow 40: 4.57, 4.60 (unofficial)

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Joe Haden runs a slow 40: 4.57, 4.60 (unofficial)

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I hope that 40 time causes his stock to plummet...all the way down to #18, where I'd be ecstatic to draft the top CB.
    No Ruth, he'd be too slow, let him keep sliding, I'm sure we could get real value by drafting him in the second round. Don't overdraft a slow cornerback is rule #1. :P

Pappy
    He's not slow. When does a CB ever have to run 40 yards in a straight line out of a sprinter's stance in his underwear? Once. At the combine. Maybe twice. At his Pro Day. That's it. Ever. When he is actually on the field in a game situation, wearing full pads, he must be able to backpedal, turn his hips, make a play on the ball, etc. A 40 time shows none of these skills. A slow number in a track skill is supposed to drop a top 10 football player into the second round? That's craziness. Football skills are most important...track skills fall way down the totem pole when evaluating potential NFL players (unless of course, your name is Al Davis...and we all know how swimmingly that strategy has worked out for him, right?)

All this shows is that Haden has poor technique to be sprinter, but being a good sprinter does not equate to being a good football player, or else an NFL team would have offered Usain Bolt a huge sum of money a long time ago (actually, I'd be surprised if Al Davis has not done this). Bolt would have difficulty turning his hips and covering (something he never has to do on the track), just like Haden had difficulty coming out of the blocks (something he never has to do on the football field).
    Clearly, my :P needed to be preceded by [sarcasm] and the [/sarcasm] style markers. I've been saying this exact same thing in thread after thread after thread. If I were a scout or coach I'd have a passing interest in the decathlon that the players go through at the combine; but, I'd be extremely interested in interviewing them to determine what type of person they are, their mental agility, respect for the game, character, etc. It's really the only chance a team will get to know a player to whom they are going to pay a large sum of money. The football talent has already been determined.

Nine out 10 draft picks that are busts are busts because they can't handle the mental aspect of the game; the other bust is due to injury, never because they don't know how to play football. The stopwatch is the devil that has lead many teams down a path of poor decision making and ultimately into the NFL bottom feeders.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope that 40 time causes his stock to plummet...all the way down to #18, where I'd be ecstatic to draft the top CB.
    No Ruth, he'd be too slow, let him keep sliding, I'm sure we could get real value by drafting him in the second round. Don't overdraft a slow cornerback is rule #1. :P

Pappy
    He's not slow. When does a CB ever have to run 40 yards in a straight line out of a sprinter's stance in his underwear? Once. At the combine. Maybe twice. At his Pro Day. That's it. Ever. When he is actually on the field in a game situation, wearing full pads, he must be able to backpedal, turn his hips, make a play on the ball, etc. A 40 time shows none of these skills. A slow number in a track skill is supposed to drop a top 10 football player into the second round? That's craziness. Football skills are most important...track skills fall way down the totem pole when evaluating potential NFL players (unless of course, your name is Al Davis...and we all know how swimmingly that strategy has worked out for him, right?)

All this shows is that Haden has poor technique to be sprinter, but being a good sprinter does not equate to being a good football player, or else an NFL team would have offered Usain Bolt a huge sum of money a long time ago (actually, I'd be surprised if Al Davis has not done this). Bolt would have difficulty turning his hips and covering (something he never has to do on the track), just like Haden had difficulty coming out of the blocks (something he never has to do on the football field).
    Clearly, my :P needed to be preceded by [sarcasm] and the [/sarcasm] style markers. I've been saying this exact same thing in thread after thread after thread. If I were a scout or coach I'd have a passing interest in the decathlon that the players go through at the combine; but, I'd be extremely interested in interviewing them to determine what type of person they are, their mental agility, respect for the game, character, etc. It's really the only chance a team will get to know a player to whom they are going to pay a large sum of money. The football talent has already been determined.

Nine out 10 draft picks that are busts are busts because they can't handle the mental aspect of the game; the other bust is due to injury, never because they don't know how to play football. The stopwatch is the devil that has lead many teams down a path of poor decision making and ultimately into the NFL bottom feeders.

Pappy
    You are a very wise man, Pappy! I think the interview process is extremely important, well along with the bench press, c'mon Chad Jones! Whew!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Interesting take on 40 times and defensive backs from Chad Reuter at NFLDraftScout.com
    [url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12999650/top-defensive-backs-give-scouts-different-looks?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    any chance haden ran a bit slower so he slips past the browns?

pretty smart guy
    EXACTLY!!! LMAO! It's a great strategy to slip by the sorry ass teams early on if you ask me. I sit and watch the draft every year and shake my head at how top end first-round talent simply goes straight to the compost pile. Haden's a great talent, there's either something amiss with the timing equipment, or he's trying to move down on purpose to get picked up by a quality franchise...JMHO.

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    any chance haden ran a bit slower so he slips past the browns?

pretty smart guy
    EXACTLY!!! LMAO! It's a great strategy to slip by the sorry bad word teams early on if you ask me. I sit and watch the draft every year and shake my head at how top end first-round talent simply goes straight to the compost pile. Haden's a great talent, there's either something amiss with the timing equipment, or he's trying to move down on purpose to get picked up by a quality franchise...JMHO.

I don't think that is a great move to make. It could potentially cost him millions. Not so smart in my book.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So much for southern speed
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.