Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

[url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

those are some fairly long arms to be doing a whole lot of reps if you aren't 6'5" and over 300 lbs.

Probably should have still done more than 9 though. A good bit more.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was debating between Chad Jones or Nate Allen in the 2nd round of my mock, that solves that problem.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    those are some fairly long arms to be doing a whole lot of reps if you aren't 6'5" and over 300 lbs.

Probably should have still done more than 9 though. A good bit more.
    By comparisons, Mays has 34" arms and did 24, Myron Rolle has 32.5" arms and did 21, and Eric Berry has 33.25" arms and did 19. So, does that simply indicate a lack of training or a lack of motivation?

Starter

User Info Menu

Maybe he is injured, or tore or strained a muscle during the exercise. I don't know Chad Jones, or even what position he plays, but if you think he's a good ball player, then just because he didn't press 225 20 times you wouldn't want him? Yes it could show a lack of work ethic, but unless he is on the lines I wouldn't put too much weight on how many reps he can bench. No pun intended.

Backup

User Info Menu

Yeah 9 reps at his size is bad. When I was in my 20's I was 6'2" 195 exact. Not big by any means. I use to do 225 for 3 sets of 10 reps as part of my workout. I maxed at 315 for 2 reps one set. I bet I could still do a single set for 10 at 225. I am now in my mid 40's. I still workout but not with weights. Lots of body weight exercies now.

I would expect this guy to put up 15 - 20 reps easy. It is only one set.
    =====================================
    Like us on Facebook - [url="http://www.facebook.com/ATCfamily"]http://www.facebook.com/ATCfamily[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, that's very bad. To make it worse, they aren't graded on form. I watched some benching and they are all bouncing it versus doing it touch-n-go. It adds anywhere from 30-40% more reps when bouncing it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To me, it indicates a simple lack of bulk. Imagine him trying to tackle LeRon McClain...hes gonna get trucked. Id have to say no to him, just based on the reps...even if he drops to the 4-5 round.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is a terrible bench press, a red flag. But, he has years of great production and he takes far better angles to the ball than Nate Allen. I wouldn't let the bench press be a defining factor for safeties. Now if he runs poorly, you may have a point.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

You don't bench press during games. Watch the film on him from a couple games. he has no strength issues. I wager he had a minor injury or felt something and just stopped. Wait for his Pro Day before you bail on him because performance wise on the field he was a very good player.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"